Cooler memory foam?
Oct 29, 2009 11:22 AM
Has anyone found any memory foam that it is actually sleeps cooler than "normal" memory foam? I have 2" of Sensus memory foam, which I like, but it does tend to heat up. So far, I prefer memory foam over latex as the top comfort level, if it were not for the heat issue. I have not tried a wool topper. I just ordered a matress pad/cover that has wool tufting instead of polyester, so that might help a bit. The Sensus is under the cotton/wool mattress cover which should help too, but I still feel more heat than I would like.
Re: Cooler memory foam?
Reply #20 Nov 4, 2009 7:40 PM
Actually, humidity is not that big of a problem on the Pacific Ocean. I would say that humidity is normally around 30-40%. I probably live in one of the best climates in the world, but I don't use A/C or much heat to perfectly control it.

Latex may run a bit hotter than an innerspring, due to the higher density. I am pretty much okay heat wise with all latex with the right covers on top. I think using the right kind of sheets will help as well.

I am not convinced that wool does much to keep one cool. It may moderate the extremes, but may keep one at fairly warm (body?) temperature. I know that a wool sweater will be warmer than a cotton sweater (in summer and winter), due to the greater insulation ability.
Re: mattress covers
Reply #21 Nov 9, 2009 8:56 AM
sandman wrote:
I bought a new dust mite cover for the mattress as well. I have not been able to put it on, since I am still figuring out the bed configuration. This one slips over and zippers, but I if had to do it again I would have bought one that just fits over the top of the mattress. I am a little worried that it might add to the heat of the mattress, but it is so thin, I don't think so.

I doubt that the mattress encasing will add to the heat.

When I bought mine, I thought about getting a deeper one to cover both the mattress and the toppers, but I didn't know how many inches of topper I was going to end up with, so I got an encasing that's 9" deep (from National Allergy). It fits the mattress perfectly. It was a little difficult to get on without someone to help, so I'm glad I got the 9" deep one; if I had to fight with taking it off and putting it on every time I flipped the mattress (so the toppers would still be on the top), I'd get lazy and wouldn't flip it.

Doesn't sound like the wool/cotton pad is doing much in the way of temperature regulation. I think I'll hold off on trying that, and just keep the thermostat turned down until I'm out of bed. I probably dragged out the comforter too soon; I'll need to get a medium-weight blanket for fall & spring. The comforter will be nice when it's 20 degrees outside at night. (The head of my bed is in front of a window, and this is an old house, not well insulated.)

-Catherine
Reply #22 Nov 9, 2009 12:40 PM
Catherine, it seems like we have some of the same issues. I have tried Outlast, cotton bamboo sheets, wool filled mattress pad, and snugfleece. None seem to really help, and in fact wool may make it slightly worse for me. I am returning all of them.

I am probably going to stick with cotton sheets and a cotton mattress pad, and I will use the lightest blankets/comforter that keeps me warm enough. I don't have the cotton filled mattress pad yet, so not sure if that will be any better than a poly filled one.

Recently, when I felt pretty warm at night, I took off the top sheet and felt the mattress pad (generic poly filled one) where I had been lying. It felt pretty warm. So, I took that off and felt the Flobed wool filled mattress cover top and that felt pretty warm as well. So, I unzipped the cover and felt the top convoluted latex layer and that felt pretty warm. Then I felt the layer below, and that was a little warm. The layer below that was not noticeably warm were I had been lying.

So, (this is just common sense I guess) the areas were one lies will heat up to body temperature. I am not sure if they get any hotter, but they will definitely be significantly warmer than room temperature. The wool and the latex will hold the heat until you move away and give them a chance to disipate the heat. I don't think the layers of material between will make much of a difference, unless they don't have the ability to retain much heat. Maybe cotton is better at that than wool.

Some people may be bothered by that warmth and some may not. It will also be a function of how much you toss and turn. I may be doing less of that on the new mattress, so the warmth may be more noticeable. Also, it seems to bother me most around 1-2am. Maybe something to do with the sleep cycle.

Latex may retain the heat more than an innerspring, because it is denser. An innerspring may be able to breathe better to the spring filled area which is mainly air. However, once you start add layers of foam to the innerspring, the same issue will occur.

It is possible that the Celsion latex would breathe better and let the heat dissipate further down. However, you would probably have to be a at least 2 layers of that. And I am skeptical it would work because it seem that the latex itself would still heat up.

At some point I may try sleeping with the Flobed cover off and only cotton between me and the latex. That is the only way for me take the wool completely out of the equation.
Reply #23 Nov 9, 2009 1:54 PM
Sandman: it sounds like possibly what you need is an old-fashioned innerspring mattress with cotton only over the spring. With the outer cover or mattress ticking as they used to call it, made of cotton as well.

But I would think that you would find that this type of mattress will heat up also, at least to some degree. The whole thing about the human body is that it gives off heat, when it stops giving off heat it is dead. So it really is a matter of how much heat your body gives off and how sensitive you are to it. If you wore the least heat retaining material possible as clothing, there would still be some heat in it from your body, I would think.
Reply #24 Nov 9, 2009 3:34 PM
Eagle, at this point I would say it is a minor problem, not a major problem. Some nights it does not seem to bother me much at all. With the right combination of cotton and layers above me, I think it will be okay. I may be more sensitive to it right now, due to the newness of the situation.

However, pretty soon I will have to decide whether it is enough of an issue to stay with the Flobed or not.
Re: finding ways to sleep cool
Reply #25 Nov 9, 2009 6:18 PM
sandman wrote:
Catherine, it seems like we have some of the same issues. I have tried Outlast, cotton bamboo sheets, wool filled mattress pad, and snugfleece. None seem to really help, and in fact wool may make it slightly worse for me. I am returning all of them.

Oh dear. Well, thank you for sharing your results with the forum here. Very helpful. I hope the plain cotton mattress pad helps, if you try that.

Overstock.com has some good deals on blankets; looks like there are some lightweight ones available. I'm not sure if I'm going to get one now, or wait until spring. We're having a warm spell here in upstate NY, but the temps will probably drop back down fairly soon.

Some people may be bothered by that warmth and some may not. It will also be a function of how much you toss and turn. I may be doing less of that on the new mattress, so the warmth may be more noticeable. .....

Ah, good point. I don't know how much I toss and turn, but it's probably a lot less now that my bed is comfortable, instead of hurting my shoulders & hips.

It is possible that the Celsion latex would breathe better and let the heat dissipate further down. However, you would probably have to be a at least 2 layers of that. And I am skeptical it would work because it seem that the latex itself would still heat up.

I'm curious about the Celsion, but not curious enough to fork over the dough for it. Wouldn't make a difference for me, anyway, unless I used it as the top layer in my toppers. Right now, my Talatech layer is on the bottom, with the Oodles latex topper and a thin fiber-bed on top of those. (Very cushy; no more sore shoulders.)

Good luck with the hunt for cool sleep. I prefer cooler temps for sleeping, too.

-Catherine
Reply #26 Nov 17, 2009 8:26 PM
Temperature contol update.

I tried sleeping with the cotton/wool flobed cover off. I put a cotton blanket (folded in half) over the convoluted latex latex, topped by an all cotton mattress pad and Supima cotton sheets. This felt even warmer than without the mattress cover. At 2am I reached under and felt the the convoluted latex and it was definitely pretty warm. So, my conclusion is that the wool probably does moderate the heat a bit, but at a temperature that might feel great to some and a bit too warm for others.

Right now I am sleeping with the cotton/wool mattress cover on, with the cotton blanket over the mattress cover, with the cotton mattress pad and cotton sheets over that. I would say the temperature has been comfortably warm. Not so hot that it really bothers me. However, the weather is reasonably cool right now, so not sure how it will be in summer.

I added the all cotton mattress pad within the past week. Not totally sure if it made much difference, but certainly did not make it worse. For kicks I am putting my wool filled mattress pad back on tonight, to see what difference I can detect.

My final frontier will probably be to try Celsion latex at some point. I am a bit skeptical that it will make much difference, but I am curious to try it (on a returnable basis of course!).
Reply #27 Nov 17, 2009 10:20 PM
Sandman: I thought about you last night, right after I first went to bed. And no, this is not some kind of a wacko sexual perverted post.

I have been suffering with a bout of some kind of flu, hopefully it is not H1N1. I Am Already Feeling Better! So whatever it is, it can't be to bad.

But the point I want to make is this. I was still running fever and had some chills when I went to bed. The temperature was down around 40° outdoors, and the bed felt quite cool indeed. But within about two or three minutes it was warming up nicely and I felt quite comfortable. That's when I thought of you. I thought to myself "if this latex warms up this quickly under these conditions what is it going to be like when it is 80 and 90° F. at midnight come next summer"? My part of the country can get very hot in July and August.

So it's going to be quite a trip when the temperature gets in the upper digits next year. That's quite sometime in the future, and I know you're having difficulties now, and I am sorry I can't give you any real moral support from actual experience.

But good luck with your experimentation.
Reply #28 Nov 18, 2009 12:17 AM
At least you will have the air conditioner cranking away next summer. I have a small portable A/C, but I rarely use it when sleeping.

It will be intersting to see if the wool helps keep one cooler in summer. Hopefully. So far it is keeping up with the warmer in winter part of the bargain.

I assume the latex heats up to roughly body temperature. Therefore, summer may not be that different, other than it being hotter above the mattress. That is handled somewhat with less or no blankets, a fan, or a/c. Although, the latex will reach body temperature more quickly in summer (since it starts warmer). I always find it harder to sleep on the hot summer days, and I am sure that problem will still exist.

I am also wondering if the latex will be softer when in summer? It does seem a little firmer to me after it has cooled down a bit. I know memory foam is firmer when colder.
Reply #29 Nov 18, 2009 12:44 AM
You make an interesting point about the latex softening when warmed up by the sleepers body.

I have wondered about this myself, although the sensation is so slight that it's hard to tell. I would liken it more to a slight conforming of the latex to the body as it heats up. But not nearly as much as a memory foam would do. At least the few times that I have tried out memory foam.

Quite frankly, I find it a rather pleasant experience.

I think you're right about the summertime heat, at least I hope so. We normally keep our home in the 76°F range in the summertime with our air-conditioning. This keeps the humidity down, and the house quite comfortable for my wife and I.
This message was modified Nov 18, 2009 by eagle2

Recent Posts