Cooler memory foam?
Oct 29, 2009 11:22 AM
Has anyone found any memory foam that it is actually sleeps cooler than "normal" memory foam? I have 2" of Sensus memory foam, which I like, but it does tend to heat up. So far, I prefer memory foam over latex as the top comfort level, if it were not for the heat issue. I have not tried a wool topper. I just ordered a matress pad/cover that has wool tufting instead of polyester, so that might help a bit. The Sensus is under the cotton/wool mattress cover which should help too, but I still feel more heat than I would like.
Re: Cooler memory foam?
Reply #10 Oct 31, 2009 2:41 PM
Sandman,
You may notice quite a difference not using 600 count sheets. They're woven so tightly that they don't breathe as well as 200 or even 300 count. The bamboo-cotton have become my favorite, especially for summer. Very lightweight and silky feeling and cool (ever worn a light rayon shirt? kinda like that). I also use a set of organic cotton, I think they're 230 thread count.
Reply #11 Oct 31, 2009 3:45 PM
Thanks. I just orderd the bamboo/cotton sheets from Costco. They are 250TC, 55% organic cotton, 45% bamboo rayon. I hope I like them. I can return if I don't like.

It is funny because I used a different memory foam topper for several years on an innerspring mattress. The heat was not that big of an issue with that. It probably was lower density. So, perhaps the 5lb Sensus is unusually hot? Or maybe it is the combo of memory foam with latex, which may not breathe as well as an innerspring? Not sure, but it is something I have to solve.

Worst case is that I will stick with the convoluted latex. That does not get too hot. I guess I could also go with a lower ILD Celsion latex top layer. Not sure if that would resolve the slight hardness issue.
Re: wool-cotton mattress pad
Reply #12 Nov 1, 2009 9:33 AM
sandman wrote:
Still waiting for my washable wool/cotton Natura mattress pad. That might add some temperature moderation as well.

Sandman, can you please report back after you try this out? (Same with the cotton/bamboo sheets?)

I thought I was done spending $ on my new bed, but now that fall has come and I've got my down-alternative comforter on the bed, I'm waking up hot & sweaty. I think my options are:

a) change the programmable-thermostat settings so the heat doesn't come on until after I get up (wake up to a cold house; cheapest option and first one I'll try);

b) ditch the comforter and buy a lighter-weight comforter or a medium-weight blanket (I'm using a low-thread-count cotton duvet cover, which I just bought because the flannel cover was way too hot);

c) ditch the polyfill/cotton mattress pad and get a wool/cotton pad or an Outlast pad*, or something else that helps regulate body temps; or 

d) some combination of the above.

(And if anyone's wondering: nope, not in menopause yet, so these aren't hot flashes. Or, uh, power surges....)

The washable wool/cotton mattress pad looks nice (& a little pricey), if what I found online is what you ordered. I think I'm waking up hot because I've got too much non-breathable polyfill stuff under me and on me. It's all very cozy, but it's gettin' hot. (And I'm someone who is usually cold.)

-Catherine

*Edited to add: I just found the "update on wool/Outlast toppers" thread, and it looks like Outlast is not the answer. Or at least, not an Outlast pad that's got polyester fill (seems like the fill would defeat the purpose of the Outlast; odd).

This message was modified Nov 1, 2009 by Catherine
Reply #13 Nov 1, 2009 12:35 PM
Yes, I will report back. Did not have much of a heat issue last night with the Sensus foam out of the mattress. Warm but not too hot. I gues that is about all one can hope for. There will always be some body heat build up.<BR><BR>As you can see in the earlier posts, I tried the Outlast and it did not work for me. It aborbed heat for a while, but eventually it built up to a hot level (when using the Sensus foam). I don't think it had anything to do with the wool. I just think it aborbs the heat but eventually has to release it somewhere. Not sure if wool will work any better with the Sensus foam.<BR><BR>The best price I found on the Natura washable wool/cotton mattress pad was at Select Comfort. They were way lower than anyone (at $105 for Queen), but they did charge tax an shipping. I think the total was around $127. I think the second best price I saw was $153. It has not arrived yet, so I am still wondering if they will send the right thing.<BR><BR> LL Bean also has a washable wool/cotton mattress pad for $129 (I think?). Tax and shipping might be free. Their's is made in China, and I think has a little less wool. The Natura ended up being a little cheaper anyway.<BR><BR>One other thing I got was a camel hair filled comforter from Costco (expensive though). Camel is suppose to do a good job regulating heat like wool (but lighter than wool). I found my down comforter can be too heavy and hot (I only use it in cold weather though). I probably have too much fill in the down one, but it is good on cold winter nights (I don't use my heater much - near the Ocean).<BR><BR>So far I like the camel hair comforter. It is pretty light and warm. Might work in winter as well with a couple of blankets. Might be too warm for summer though (no air conditioning).<BR><BR>So I am spending a lot of money, and getting a bit burned out on that. However, the only things I really bought in the last 20 years were sheets, 1 cheap mattress pad, 1 piece of memory foam from Costco, and 1 down comforter. So, I guess I am due for a total makeover.<BR><BR>The final thing I might try is the Snugfleece. That has a 30 day trial period, so maybe worth a shot. Will probably wait to see how the &quot;mem-cool&quot; memory foam from Overstock is first.
This message was modified Nov 1, 2009 by sandman
Re: wool mattress pads
Reply #14 Nov 1, 2009 6:30 PM
sandman wrote:
The best price I found on the Natura washable wool/cotton mattress pad was at Select Comfort.  ......  LL Bean also has a washable wool/cotton mattress pad for $129 (I think?). 

Thanks for the tip on Select Comfort. The Web site didn't have a full-size pad (just king & queen sizes), but maybe I'll call the local SC store to see if they have it in stock. Otherwise, the LL Bean one might be worth trying for me (full size is $109).

So I am spending a lot of money, and getting a bit burned out on that. However, the only things I really bought in the last 20 years were sheets, 1 cheap mattress pad, 1 piece of memory foam from Costco, and 1 down comforter. So, I guess I am due for a total makeover.

Funny; I'm doing the same thing (total bed makeover). I used my old mattress for 18 years, and didn't buy new linens very often; just used them till they wore out. So when I finally got the new mattress & foundation, I also got new anti-dust-mite mattress encasings, new sheets, new pillows, etc., plus the latex toppers. Knew I needed the new stuff; just didn't have the $ for a while. Now that I finally have my new bed, I'm loving it.

-Catherine
Reply #15 Nov 1, 2009 7:07 PM
It seems like Select Comfort might have mispriced it, so I am hoping they come through for me.

I forgot to add that I ordered a new pillow as well. I like down, but I tend to sink in too far. So, I splurged and ordered an 800 fill power firm one from United Pillow. It is expensive, but they also have cheaper ones with lower fill power. I read about them in the Wall Street Journal. There was another pillow place (myidealpillow.com) that sounds interesting. They design a pillow for you based on specification you put in (height, how sleep, chest size, mattress firmness, etc.). They have a guarantee as well, so I might try them if I am not happy with the United Pillow one.

I tried a shredded latex pillow, but was not totally happy. It had some smell (which might have gone away eventually), and seemed like it might get too hard (if used for 8 hours straight).

I bought a new dust mite cover for the mattress as well. I have not been able to put it on, since I am still figuring out the bed configuation. This one slips over and zippers, but I if had to do it again I would have bought one that just fits over the top of the mattress. I am a little worried that it might add to the heat of the mattress, but it is so thin, I don't think so.
Reply #16 Nov 4, 2009 11:52 AM
I tried the washable wool filled / cotton mattress pad last night. I am not sure I could notice much difference. I would NOT say it was cooler than my generic cotton/ polyester fill mattress pad. However, it was a cooler night, so this might be the wool being warmer in winter? I guess the wool in the mattress pad and mattress cover and comforter act as insulators (but breathable), so they will warm one up to body temperature.

Then I put on the bamboo/cotton sheets for about 45 minutes. This did seem to have some cooling effect. I was still warm enough, but almost like the thermostat had been turned down a couple of degrees. However, that was just in the morning, so I'll have to see how they work for a whole night.

I have not washed them yet, and I would say they don't feel quite as soft as all cotton. However, they are suppose to get softer after washing, so we'll have to see if that is an issue or not. Almost had the feel of a polyester/cotton blend. Has anyone used bamboo and found that it does get softer?

Maybe a long staple low thread count cotton will still be the best overall? Time will tell.
Reply #17 Nov 4, 2009 2:03 PM
Sandman: I am curious. What temperature do you have in your bedroom at night?

I keep a digital monitor in my bedroom and the temperature usually runs between 70 to 73 degrees Fahrenheit. Much below 70 and it is too cool. And I do not like it about 73°F, that is too warm. Unless of course we're talking about the summertime then I like it around 76°F.
Reply #18 Nov 4, 2009 2:18 PM
Eagle, I live about 1 mile from the ccean, and I don't have central air conditioning. I have 1 heater (no vent in the bedroom), but I rarely use that at night. So, while the weather here is pretty mild, I can't totally control the temperature. In summer, I might have the window open with a fan going. In winter I might use an electric blanket and a down comforter. Generally, I prefer the cooler weather for sleeping.

I can't say for sure what the temperature was last night. Maybe I should get a thermometer in my room. I would guess it was 67-70 degrees inside last night. I was plenty warm with just sheets and a comforter. I have learned from this board that sheets may have a bigger effect than I ever thought. Not too long ago I bought single ply 600 TC Supima sheets. I think they are warmer than what I use to have. So, I am experimenting with some different things now to try to get the right temperature feel as well.

I am probably more sensitive to it right now, since I am thinking a lot about mattress and how I am sleeping. Probably too many things going on, but I hopefully I will settle in on the right combination pretty soon.
Reply #19 Nov 4, 2009 4:02 PM
I am wondering if possibly part of your temperature difficulties, as regards sleeping, may have to do with humidity more than temperature. Living near the ocean, I would think, it has to be fairly humid year-round. It might be a good idea to get an inexpensive digital temperature and humidity gauge and began to record what the various temperature and humidity conditions are in your bedroom. With very little control over these two very important variables can make it very difficult for somebody who is having body temperature problems while sleeping. I make no claims about being an authority on the subject. But if my recall is correct, our bodies are perspiring all the time. However until that perspiration begins to accumulate on our skin we are not aware of it. But we are losing moisture through our skin 24/7. If there is not proper evaporation we become uncomfortable. They say in the desert, where there is almost no humidity at all, that you can dehydrate to the point of death, and not even realize it is happening to you. So if you are experiencing humidity at a fairly high level, I do not believe you will be as comfortable as you could be in your bed at night.

My guess is that anything over 60% humidity will make it difficult to get comfortable. If my recall is correct, it is at approximately 60% humidity that mold begins to grow. I believe this is the reason that various people in the latex mattress business recommend slatted foundations for ventilation. I personally do not believe that slatted foundations are the best kind to get the full benefit out of latex. I would think that a very solid foundation would be the best. Thereby allowing the latex to do the flexing and not the foundation. But humidity may blow that idea into "a cocked hat!"

The thread count of your sheets will definitely make a difference. I have found that between 250 and 300 thread count, in an all natural cotton sheet, to be very comfortable on my latex bed.
This message was modified Nov 4, 2009 by eagle2

Recent Posts