Cooler memory foam?
Oct 29, 2009 11:22 AM
Has anyone found any memory foam that it is actually sleeps cooler than "normal" memory foam? I have 2" of Sensus memory foam, which I like, but it does tend to heat up. So far, I prefer memory foam over latex as the top comfort level, if it were not for the heat issue. I have not tried a wool topper. I just ordered a matress pad/cover that has wool tufting instead of polyester, so that might help a bit. The Sensus is under the cotton/wool mattress cover which should help too, but I still feel more heat than I would like.
Re: Cooler memory foam?
Reply #4 Oct 29, 2009 10:41 PM
I'd certainly be interested in hearing some feedback about Celsion.  However, I haven't really noticed my latex bed sleeping "hot."  I notice I'm nice and warm in bed, but not unpleasantly so, and I don't end up waking up all sweaty from heat reflection.  Just warm and comfortable enough that I don't want to get out in the morning :)
Reply #5 Oct 29, 2009 11:32 PM
Thanks. I don't have a problem with warmth (so far) when I use all latex. My issue is that I prefer the feel of memory foam vs. latex at the top level. Not a huge difference, but for some reason I find that after I sink in the latex for a while it seems a little hard (maybe because at that point it is essentially compressed rubber?). When I go softer, I seem to lose too much support.

I think Kimberly might have a bit of the same issue, based on her description of saying she would like a softer feel.

I don't have the hard feelling as much (if at all) with memory foam a the top layer, but then heat becomes more of an issue. So, my holy grail to finish off the bed would be to have a layer of memory foam that does not get hot. I am not sure they really exist, but some do claim to sleep cooler. I am trying to find out if someone actually experienced a cooler memory foam. I don't want to buy something, if it is not going to work any better than the Sensus. Venus memory foam claims to be cooler, but not sure if that is just marketing hype. Maybe I need to find a place with a good return policy.

Maybe a thin wool topper over the latex would reduce the hard feeling a bit.

Don't get me wrong. Overall I am pretty happy with my Flobed. Just trying to get it as close to 100% satisfaction as possible.
Reply #6 Oct 30, 2009 12:22 AM
Sandman, I agree with the sinking in and then feeling "harder" sense but going softer being less supportive. I'm also trying to find that magic balance as I need a very soft top due to nerve pain but with a lot of support for my low back... I would try the memory foam top layer myself instead of the convoluted "egg-crate" but wouldn't be abel to tolerate the chemicals/smell.

I use a wool fleece pad on my latex FloBed as I prefer it (more than without) for temperature regulation, but I don't find it softer with the wool pad. People say wool is great for pressure point relief and softness, but that's not my experience; it anything it feels a a little bit firmer to me. I actually prefer the feeling of just being on the latex (with the wool-cotton mattress cover it comes with) and a thin cotton mattress pad, but much prefer the wool fleece pad for temp regulation. In terms of heat, I wouldn't use any kind of mattress pad or bed topper with polyester (or sheets). I've found bamboo-cotton sheets are even cooler than all cotton (and lower, rather than higher thread counts).
Reply #7 Oct 30, 2009 1:04 AM
Thanks. I ordered a new mattress cover that has wool tufting instead of polyester. That may help some. I think my sheets are a pretty high thread count (and fairly new unfortunately), so I may have to rethink those as well.

I having been researching the Aerus Natural memory foam by Foamex. It supposedly is cooler and circulates air better. Comes is different densities, 3lb., 4lb, 5lb.,etc. Hard to find the right inches and density though at a good price.

Have not found too many reviews comparing its temperature moderation to "regular" memory foam. Maybe be worth a try.
Reply #8 Oct 30, 2009 2:31 AM
I have been sleeping on a Foamex DIY mattress for about 3 years.

First two years was 6" of base Reflex foam (3" of 28 lbs and 3" 35 lbs)

I had 4 " Aerus at 4.1 lbs.

It slept significantly cooler than a generic memory foam DIY mattress I had before.

About a year ago I added 1" Venus 8 lbs. I did not notice much difference in terms of heat. I felt more back support without much addition of "firm feel."
Reply #9 Oct 31, 2009 1:47 PM
I tried the Sensus memory foam 1 layer lower, to see how that was. I still got somwhat hot, and it lost some of the memory foam feel as well. So, I am planning to sell the 2" of Sensus foam. I ordered 1" of mem-cool 4lb memory foam from Overstock to see how that works. I would prefer the Aurus by Foamex, but that only comes in 2" or greater (in 4lbs or 5lbs.). Plus cost of $200+, and not sure it will work any better than the mem-cool. Unfortunately, Overstock is out of Aurus.

Meanwhile, I went back to the convoluted latex and changed the middle layer to firm for xfirm. That seemed to help with the hardness issue, and definitely not as hot as the Sensus. Still seemed like enough support. That may end up being my best solution.

Meanwhile, I am probably going to switch out my 600 TC Supima cotton sheets for 200TC Egyptian or a cotton/bamboo blend. Costco has the cotton/bamboo blend, so I may order those to see if I like the feel. Supposedly, bamboo breathes better than cotter and sleeps cooler. Bamboo sounds wierd, but I am willing to experiment with a return option.

Still waiting for my washable wool/cotton Natura mattress pad. That might add some temperature moderation as well.

As a final frontier, at some point I may try a snugfleece mattres topper. I am probably going crazy with too many options, but getting the right softness/temperature seems like the final major piece in getting this right for me.
Reply #10 Oct 31, 2009 2:41 PM
Sandman,
You may notice quite a difference not using 600 count sheets. They're woven so tightly that they don't breathe as well as 200 or even 300 count. The bamboo-cotton have become my favorite, especially for summer. Very lightweight and silky feeling and cool (ever worn a light rayon shirt? kinda like that). I also use a set of organic cotton, I think they're 230 thread count.
Reply #11 Oct 31, 2009 3:45 PM
Thanks. I just orderd the bamboo/cotton sheets from Costco. They are 250TC, 55% organic cotton, 45% bamboo rayon. I hope I like them. I can return if I don't like.

It is funny because I used a different memory foam topper for several years on an innerspring mattress. The heat was not that big of an issue with that. It probably was lower density. So, perhaps the 5lb Sensus is unusually hot? Or maybe it is the combo of memory foam with latex, which may not breathe as well as an innerspring? Not sure, but it is something I have to solve.

Worst case is that I will stick with the convoluted latex. That does not get too hot. I guess I could also go with a lower ILD Celsion latex top layer. Not sure if that would resolve the slight hardness issue.
Re: wool-cotton mattress pad
Reply #12 Nov 1, 2009 9:33 AM
sandman wrote:
Still waiting for my washable wool/cotton Natura mattress pad. That might add some temperature moderation as well.

Sandman, can you please report back after you try this out? (Same with the cotton/bamboo sheets?)

I thought I was done spending $ on my new bed, but now that fall has come and I've got my down-alternative comforter on the bed, I'm waking up hot & sweaty. I think my options are:

a) change the programmable-thermostat settings so the heat doesn't come on until after I get up (wake up to a cold house; cheapest option and first one I'll try);

b) ditch the comforter and buy a lighter-weight comforter or a medium-weight blanket (I'm using a low-thread-count cotton duvet cover, which I just bought because the flannel cover was way too hot);

c) ditch the polyfill/cotton mattress pad and get a wool/cotton pad or an Outlast pad*, or something else that helps regulate body temps; or 

d) some combination of the above.

(And if anyone's wondering: nope, not in menopause yet, so these aren't hot flashes. Or, uh, power surges....)

The washable wool/cotton mattress pad looks nice (& a little pricey), if what I found online is what you ordered. I think I'm waking up hot because I've got too much non-breathable polyfill stuff under me and on me. It's all very cozy, but it's gettin' hot. (And I'm someone who is usually cold.)

-Catherine

*Edited to add: I just found the "update on wool/Outlast toppers" thread, and it looks like Outlast is not the answer. Or at least, not an Outlast pad that's got polyester fill (seems like the fill would defeat the purpose of the Outlast; odd).

This message was modified Nov 1, 2009 by Catherine
Reply #13 Nov 1, 2009 12:35 PM
Yes, I will report back. Did not have much of a heat issue last night with the Sensus foam out of the mattress. Warm but not too hot. I gues that is about all one can hope for. There will always be some body heat build up.<BR><BR>As you can see in the earlier posts, I tried the Outlast and it did not work for me. It aborbed heat for a while, but eventually it built up to a hot level (when using the Sensus foam). I don't think it had anything to do with the wool. I just think it aborbs the heat but eventually has to release it somewhere. Not sure if wool will work any better with the Sensus foam.<BR><BR>The best price I found on the Natura washable wool/cotton mattress pad was at Select Comfort. They were way lower than anyone (at $105 for Queen), but they did charge tax an shipping. I think the total was around $127. I think the second best price I saw was $153. It has not arrived yet, so I am still wondering if they will send the right thing.<BR><BR> LL Bean also has a washable wool/cotton mattress pad for $129 (I think?). Tax and shipping might be free. Their's is made in China, and I think has a little less wool. The Natura ended up being a little cheaper anyway.<BR><BR>One other thing I got was a camel hair filled comforter from Costco (expensive though). Camel is suppose to do a good job regulating heat like wool (but lighter than wool). I found my down comforter can be too heavy and hot (I only use it in cold weather though). I probably have too much fill in the down one, but it is good on cold winter nights (I don't use my heater much - near the Ocean).<BR><BR>So far I like the camel hair comforter. It is pretty light and warm. Might work in winter as well with a couple of blankets. Might be too warm for summer though (no air conditioning).<BR><BR>So I am spending a lot of money, and getting a bit burned out on that. However, the only things I really bought in the last 20 years were sheets, 1 cheap mattress pad, 1 piece of memory foam from Costco, and 1 down comforter. So, I guess I am due for a total makeover.<BR><BR>The final thing I might try is the Snugfleece. That has a 30 day trial period, so maybe worth a shot. Will probably wait to see how the &quot;mem-cool&quot; memory foam from Overstock is first.
This message was modified Nov 1, 2009 by sandman

Recent Posts