Carpe Diem
May 14, 2012 10:49 PM
I need your help! I am considering purchasing a carpe diem bed but it is so out of my comfort zone that I need your help to either convince me that I'm making the right move or a huge mistake. All of your input would really help me and my wife out. 

Thanks,

Thomas

Re: Carpe Diem
Reply #2 May 18, 2012 5:08 PM
Hello,  I am Anthony and am a retailer of Carpe Diem Beds, Tempur-Pedic, Hastens, Simmons Black, etc.. Of course I have vested interest in Carpe Diem, so I will give you fact and not my opinion.

It is very easy to assume a sleep set is overpriced when you hear it retails for tens of thousands of dollars, I at one point thought so myself. However lets brake down how a Carpe Diem Bed is made and compare it to any other sleep system.

We will start with other sleep systems. Take Tempur-Pedic and Sterns and Foster. Two very different mattresses, however they both utilize an idea of using a soft material to comfort the body and a harder material to support the body. Let’s think about that for a moment. I'm not a big guy at 5'8" and 170lbs. However like all human beings my heaviest part of my body is, dare I say it; my butt. It is common sense to understand that my heavier rear will sink lower than my lighter shoulders and legs. This will put me in a slight hammock position. The softer the bed due to either thicker softer materials or lower density softer materials will create more of a hammock position. Now I have pretty good posture, so if I sleep in a hammock position my muscles will work to support my lower back to compensate for the lack of support, this will give me lower back pain.  Now all that will happen as a back sleeper, however I'm a side sleeper. As a side sleeper I am concentrating more weight to a smaller part of my body which causes pressure points. The two larger points of pressure would be my shoulders and hips. I hope you're with me so far. Obviously I would need a softer feeling bed that disperses pressure better. Sterns will give you more padding to allow you to sink in more. Tempur-Pedic will do the same as well as change density of the top layers of memory foam. So each bed combats pressure by adding to the surface layers. Which will relieve my pressure points, however will not evenly distribute my weight causing that lower back pain... All this is visible. Have your partner take a picture of you laying on a bed that uses these systems and you will see the lowest part of your body will be your rear end.

Enter Carpe Diem Beds. Now if you break down a crape Diem bed you may conceive that the pocket springs is what supports the body and the 3" top mattress is what relieves pressure and comforts the body. I say, if that is so, how come every bed in the Carpe Diem line has a different feel and all utilize the same top mattress.? Well the facts are that the springs in Carpe Diem are what is supporting and comforting the body. The pocket coils in the Carpe Diem utilize their barrel shape (wider in center than at top and bottom) to allow the coil to collapse inside of itself instead of push back up. There is a similar pocket coil under the mattress in the base (boxspring) which do the same thing. These layers of pocket coils together is what is responsible for cradling the body in its natural posture.

Each bed in the Carpe Diem line has these coils, however some beds utilize taller coils and even more layers of coils. The more layers the more supportive. That is why each bed has its own feel. By changing the thickness of the coil, Carpe Diem can also create a softer or firmer feel in independent sides of a King size bed. Just in case you and your partner aren’t the same size and shape.

The Top mattress of Carpe Diem Consists of 3 materials. Layers of Cotton, layers of wool, and 1.5" of Natural latex. At a total height of 3" it's obvious that this is not responsible for the amazing pressure relief that Carpe Diem Beds are known for. The top mattress is what is insulating your body from the springs below it. No matter how amazing those springs are, they are still springs and no one likes to feel them after all.

So let’s take me again. I sleep on the Carpe Diem Korno Bed. With the very tall 9 turn rotation of the pocket spring in the mattress and the 7 turn coil in the base, it allows the best combination of comfort and support for my frame. As a side sleeper, the bed allows my shoulders to sink into the bed. Most beds allow a shoulder to sink in and then you feel a deadness or flatness. Once pressure builds it forces the shoulder forward of the body. This twists the spine and will cause you to change positions more often. With the depth of my Korno bed, there is no flatness, the bed has a bottomless feel and never pushes back. The rest of my body is equally supported due to the other coils that are not affected by the weight on the coils under my shoulder. This mattress is a true pocket coil. This system allows my lumbar area to stay higher in the bed letting my muscles rest.  I would be happy to send pictures of me laying on the Carpe Diem Korno as well as any other high quality bed such as Tempur-Pedic to any who wish. Just shoot me an email The picture will show how perfect the Korno maintains my body posture, and the other system,  well, not so much....

Another beauty of this system is how well and long the Carpe Diem Beds maintain their comfort. Since they're not using foams or softer materials to comfort the body, there is no degradation in feel over time. The specialized electronically tempered steel pocket springs are designed to last for decades. Being the main mattress is not quilted you will experience little to no body impressions. The 3" top mattress may take an impression of about a half inch, but as long as you flip and rotate it, the 3" top mattress should give you 10-12 years of good use.

Keep in my mind that I am not recommending the Korno bed for everybody. Height, weight, and body posture have  a lot to do with finding the correct bed for you. Traveling to a Carpe Diem dealer is the best way to be properly fit for a bed. 99% of the time, when we see that your posture looks perfect, you will also feel the most comfort.

Feel free to ask any questions via this thread or my email. I happy to assist regardless of where you are purchasing from.

Best regards,

Anthony M

Reply #3 May 20, 2012 6:00 PM
This is great feedback! Anthony, it would be great to see the photos that you mentioned showing the comparisons In Spine placement. 

Now let's talk $$$. Matress salesmen seem to have the same reputation as car salesman (no offense, Anthony). How do I get a good deal on a carpe diem matress? Im in no rush so should i wait until some type of discount event occurs? Also, I have to take into account that after 10-12 years, I have to buy a new matress topper that currently costs about $3,500--who knows what it will cost in 10 years from now. Assuming it stays the same price and that the bed lasts for 20 years and I paid $15k for it, after getting another topper then I'm paying close to $20k for a bed. I simply want to experience a good nights rest without having to buy a bed every 5 years or so. Am I crazy for even considering a bed in these price ranges?

Reply #4 May 21, 2012 11:40 AM
ThomasCrown wrote:

This is great feedback! Anthony, it would be great to see the photos that you mentioned showing the comparisons In Spine placement. 

Now let's talk $$$. Matress salesmen seem to have the same reputation as car salesman (no offense, Anthony). How do I get a good deal on a carpe diem matress? Im in no rush so should i wait until some type of discount event occurs? Also, I have to take into account that after 10-12 years, I have to buy a new matress topper that currently costs about $3,500--who knows what it will cost in 10 years from now. Assuming it stays the same price and that the bed lasts for 20 years and I paid $15k for it, after getting another topper then I'm paying close to $20k for a bed. I simply want to experience a good nights rest without having to buy a bed every 5 years or so. Am I crazy for even considering a bed in these price ranges?

You are absolutley welcome for the feed back Thomas. You are also absolutely correct about how mattress salesman are percieved these days. With many chain stores out there and some department stores inflating their price to offer you what would appear as a deal of the lifetime; shopping for a mattress just may be the most unpleasant experience out there. However luxury beds such as Carpe Diem, Hastens, Vi Spring are not just dropped in any mattress store. You need a phenominal reputation and must be an established retailer or design center to carry them. Carpe Diem Beds, Hatsens, and Vi Spring have a strict dealer agreement which clearly states that retailers will sell at the clearly marked retail price which the manufacturer sets.

The only discounts given are to Designers and architects. Stores have a floorsample demo sale twice a year and will discount their floor samples as well. Occassionaly Carpe Diem will have a sales event. In the past they gave $750 worth accessories or a free headboard. You should contact retailers directly for any upcoming promotions as I do not want to take advantage of this forum by selling on here.

I would love to know who gave you the price for that top mattress. It is way off. In a king size the Carpe Diem Exclusive top mattress costs $2199.  Carpe Diem also offers a 30% discount on top mattresses to prevoius owners of Carpe Diem Beds.

You are not alone in getting frustrated with mattresses failing to hold their comfort after a few years. This is why luxury beds are so popular today in the U.S.

It is a huge investment and I'm sure the majority of consumers out there can't fathom spending this much on a sleep set. However there are many people who are amazed at just how well they sleep now, more so on how great they feel when they wake up. The majority of Carpe Diem Bed owners end up purchasing another one for their children, second homes or even spare bedrooms with in a year of their purchase. There really is something amazing going on with these beds.

I will get those pictures up asap for you.

Take care,

Anthony

Reply #5 May 21, 2012 12:02 PM
Thomas here is a picture of one my salesman (Matt) laying on a Tempur-Pedic Cloud-Luxe mattress. He is quite thin at 5'11" and 170lbs. In the picture you can still see him slightly hammocking the mattress ad his rearend has sunken in lower than the rest of his body.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/SleepEtc/IMG_1010.jpg

Here is Matt now laying in the same position on the softest Carpe Diem Bed there is; The Korno. Notice how perfect his posture is here. His rear end is at the same level as his shoulders keeping the true arch of his spine.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/SleepEtc/IMG_1009.jpg

This message was modified May 21, 2012 by AnthonyM
Reply #6 May 21, 2012 6:57 PM
AnthonyM wrote:

Thomas here is a picture of one my salesman (Matt) laying on a Tempur-Pedic Cloud-Luxe mattress. He is quite thin at 5'11" and 170lbs. In the picture you can still see him slightly hammocking the mattress ad his rearend has sunken in lower than the rest of his body.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/SleepEtc/IMG_1010.jpg

Here is Matt now laying in the same position on the softest Carpe Diem Bed there is; The Korno. Notice how perfect his posture is here. His rear end is at the same level as his shoulders keeping the true arch of his spine.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/SleepEtc/IMG_1009.jpg

That carpe diem bed looks more like a mattress topper on a mattress. Are there any in texas?

Reply #7 May 22, 2012 6:13 PM
I don't believe they have a store in Texas as of right now. There are 6 stores in CA, 1 in Las Vegas, Miami, NY, and Connecticut.

When I am back in the store I can take another picture of the same topper on a regular bed if you would like.

This message was modified May 22, 2012 by AnthonyM
Reply #8 May 29, 2012 9:26 PM
AnthonyM wrote:

I don't believe they have a store in Texas as of right now. There are 6 stores in CA, 1 in Las Vegas, Miami, NY, and Connecticut.

When I am back in the store I can take another picture of the same topper on a regular bed if you would like.

Thanks. waitinf for the picture. 

btw I am confused as to how ONLY JUST a 3 inch topper on top of springs can provide COMFORT? thanks

Reply #9 Jul 7, 2012 4:45 PM
I sleep on a Carpe Diem. I thought the price was outrageous. I now own two -- one for the guest room. Honestly -- my wife and I have never slept better. Worth every penny and then some. We had been on a high-end latex mattress w/a wool topper. The topper broke down after about 5 or 6 years  and we started sleeping poorly. We had switched to the latex after years of increasingly bad sleep on traditional S&F mattresses. Nothing, in our view, compares to the Carpe Diem. We've had the mattresses for a little over a year. No difference from when they were new.
Reply #10 Jul 21, 2012 9:22 AM
My salesman's name was Matt too!!  Hahahah

Not happy after 2 nights on my Contour Signature.  TOO FIRM!

Recent Posts