Box Spring vs. Foundation
Jul 7, 2011 2:07 PM
Hello, I recently purchased a new mattress (Medium firmness rating) and I put it on my old box spring.  Everything was ok, no complaints, but then a wood beam on the box spring snapped and began to sag to the side.

As a result I put the mattress on the floor until I can get a new box spring.  But now that the mattress is on the floor it's much firmer and uncomfortable.

I've been reading that nowadays they sell more "Foundations" than "Box Springs".  Is a  Foundation just a box of wood that's equivalent to putting your mattress on the floor?  Or is a foundation similar to a regular box spring and doesn't make a mattress very firm (like when it's put in the floor)?

Thanks.

Re: Box Spring vs. Foundation
Reply #6 Sep 20, 2017 6:02 AM
A box spring usually a wooden frame that designed to allocate and absorb weight on the mattress. A structure of a large number of heavy gauge wire coils is attached to the frame as the mattress supporting system.

On the other hand, foundation is similarly a wooden frame with slats, but it is covered in cloth and similar in look to box springs.

They act differently from each other. Box springs are planned more for shock absorption and fewer for support, foundations are intended to simply support the mattresses.

I hope you can understand my point..... :)

Recent Posts