Bedinabox Problem
Jan 26, 2009 10:12 PM
Hi,

I purchased a Bedinabox a few months ago to replace a bed that was killing me. Money was a driving factor, I just couldn't afford to spend a lot of money. The bed is ok. It doesn't sleep hot, which was a concern of mine. The problem is, I'm a side sleeper. If  I sleep on my back it's fine. But when I turn on my side, it's just way too hard. Any thoughts on a topper? Is a latex topper compatible with memory foam?

Thanks for any suggestions,

John

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by Laff
Re: Bedinabox Problem
Reply #1 Mar 9, 2009 3:56 PM
So it is NOT just me.  I bought my mattress (11" pacdown plus) in Dec. 08 and it took me two months to finally get to where I LOVE sleeping on this bed but I did notice that when I turn on my side there is a little discomfort in my lower back sometimes.  I thought it was something else--now I think maybe it is what you experience, a little too firm for side sleeping.  I can eventually get comfortable on my side and so do sleep often that way.  I sometimes wish I was a back sleeper because when I lie on my back I cannot believe how comfortable it feels!  I tend to sleep a lot on my stomach and that is great, too.  As for a topper I have seen no posts anywhere addressing that.  Good luck on the mattress!
This message was modified Mar 9, 2009 by Frank
Reply #2 Mar 9, 2009 7:35 PM
Your problem is why it is an issue that so very few mattresses allow the user to adjust firmness.  The user has to try and home engineer a firmness increase or decrease with a "forklift" change via trial of different types and thicknesses of mattress toppers.  We see the problem with this "fix" is the expense up front to buy the topper without the buyer having any assurance that it will be the right "fix" for their sleep comfort needs.

So you try one topper and if it doesn't give you the comfort you need then you have to try something else.  It's a shame that only inflatable mattresses and waterbed mattresses come with firmness adjustability built in.

We know someone who bought a four inch Serta memory foam topper and loved it.  We bought a three inch Cloud9 semi-firm memory foam topper and combined with our waterbed mattress it is perfect for both of us BUT we had to adjust the firmness of the mattress three or four times before we achieved the "perfect sleeper" mattress combo that matched our personal comfort needs.

If the mattress is uncomfortable it is possible that it is too soft instead of too firm.  One thing we learned in our personal mattress quest is back and shoulder pain from sleeping on a mattress can have a deceptive cause.  In our case at first we thought or mattress was too firm and we decreased the firmness only to learn that the opposite was true and after adding firmness we achieved the sleep comfort we sought.

Anywho, we found the Cloud9 semi-firm three inch topper (on sale at Amazon.com including shipping and NO tax) was the perfect accessory to our latest waterbed mattress (ultra-waveless and extra firmness) BUT only after we got the mattress firmness figured out.

Hope you find the perfect topper that will correct for the firmness mis-match you have with your mattress.

Reply #3 Mar 13, 2009 10:12 AM
Correct me if I am wrong. Body heat is what makes memory foam mold to your body and ( See hand print in all the ads.) If you put too thick of a layer of something else over the MF There will be no body heat in close contact to the MF and it will be just a firm slab of foam, right? Defeating it's purpose?

Recent Posts