Latex on Foam - Any good? Must decide what to do...
Jul 15, 2011 4:09 PM
Sorry if this is a redundant reformulated post. Would love some thoughts on the more price conscious latex/foam combo beds out there that can be had for around $600 for a full size. I've been checking out the EcoSleep Madison since I would be bound to what US Mattress has in stock as I am in a comfort swap scenario. In general though these type beds seem to get pretty favorable reviews. 

In short, I bought a simmons extra firm. Added 1.5" latex topper, still bottoming out (I know this is not much latex) and fear that investing in more latex is just going to get me a very tall bed and no relief after reading this woman's reply in another post: 

>> "My husband and I bought the Simmons Beautyrest World Class extra firm (Elderberry) tight top in May.  I'm not sure, but the name Elderberry may be the Macy's name.  We were looking for a very firm mattress with no inferior foam.  It is an extremely firm mattress.  We are campers, and as my husband says, sleeping on the ground is softer than this mattress.  We initially put 1.5 inches of memory foam topper on top of it, but that wasn't enough.  We then added another 1.5 inches of a Talalay latex foam topper, which began to help.  We are now looking for our next layer of topper.  At the rate we are going, we are essentially building a mattress on top of it, since it is as firm as a box spring.  It does not yield at all to pressure.  The saleswoman told us that we would definitely need a topper and she was correct.  My husband woke up with numb arms, and as I am a side sleeper, it does not yield enough for my hips or shoulders to keep my spine in alignment. I think that as a base, it is ideal, because it truly does seem that it will stand up for a long time.  Just be prepared to layer toppers on it to get a comfort layer. " <<

I have to double check this but it appears that the eco madison has a zippered top and possibly access to the foam without a "surgery" scenario which would be ideal. 

As for a PU foam core, I like that there would be less of a "jiggle" factor than a talalay core and I don't have allergies to PU foam. Can anyone enlighten me as to the drawbacks of this relatively cheap setup? 

I did go to a local bedding store and found a similar configuration which felt heavenly. But over the last year of endless reseach and many missteps, It seems what what is comfortable in the store isn't necessarily comfortable for 8 hours sleep. I'm 5'4" 110 and like a very firm bed. But i do need some give for pressure points and this balance has eluded me. So far the best sleep i've gotten in years has been on a $100 innerspring futon that I bought sight unseen from Craigslist. Next was the ancient inner spring in my mom's guest room. Needless to say I am rather frustrated that putting any thought into this seems to only send me further from a solution. 

I wish like crazy that i had found this forum before taking the leap as I would have done a DIY foamsource mattress in a heartbeat. OH well. 

This message was modified Jul 17, 2011 by numbernine
Re: Anyone own an EcoSleep Madison? Should I do a comfort swap?
Reply #1 Jul 15, 2011 4:38 PM
1.5" of latex is not very much on top of an extra firm bed.  I say try another inch of latex for at least 2.5" total.
Re: Anyone own an EcoSleep Madison? Should I do a comfort swap?
Reply #2 Jul 19, 2011 6:33 PM
slpngoc wrote:

1.5" of latex is not very much on top of an extra firm bed.  I say try another inch of latex for at least 2.5" total.

I agree, especially if you weigh more than, say, 150lb, 1.5" ain't much.

Also, how soft was the latex you put on top? I'd say one layer of something like 24ILD and anotheer layer of something like 18ILD might do the trick. Also, is it Talalay? Dunlop may prove to be too firm feeling.

If all else fails, open 'er up and remove the very high-density firm PU foam that's in there to make it so firm.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by jimsocal
Re: Latex on Foam - Any good? Must decide what to do...
Reply #3 Jul 21, 2011 6:33 PM
I have a simmonds extra firm mattress and have tried a 2" memory foam topper from Macys, then I added a Brun De Vian-Tiran wool topper from McKrosky which I tried for a few years with limited success.  I recently purchased a 3" Rejuvenite Talalay Latex topper by International Latex with an 28 ILD to replace the 2"memory foam.  It's an improvement but, I wish that I had purchased the 19 ILD Latex topper instead of the firmer one.  I'm going to try this topper combined with my McKrosky quilted wool topper for a while but, I'll most likely add another softer layer of 19ILD Talalay Latex.
Re: Latex on Foam - Any good? Must decide what to do...
Reply #4 Jul 22, 2011 1:20 PM
Yikes - I'm gathering from what I've read on the forms by now that most people with this mattress do end up with quite a few extra layers on this mattress.

Thanks for the feedback

Recent Posts