Advice for purchase on Stearns & Foster "English Meadows" Euro Pillowtop Firm
Jun 21, 2010 3:36 PM
UPDATE: CANCELLED ORDER. Going to go with the advice of people on this board on memory foam or latex. I set-up a new thread to ask for help. Thanks.!

I've recently discovered this forum after purchasing this mattress from Macys after trying a lot of beds they had.

From trying the different beds that were at Macys. For the beds within my limited price range, this bed seemed to be by far the most comfortable for me.

I'm in my early 20's (180/lbs/with some arch) and my 15 year old mattress springs are making sounds when I'm sitting down while my back is starting to hurt. 

Here is the link: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=397587&CategoryID=25946

It was $899 pretax without boxspring. I know for the price, I can't expect much and I will plan on upgrading in the future. The matress hasn't been delivered yet so I might be able to change it. 

The mattress does not have memory foam nor latex in it due to cheap price but it still feels 100x better than my current bed that is literally falling apart.

After looking in the forums, it seems that any form of pillowtop is a bad idea. When I tried the one I bought, it was much more comfortable with the "euro pillowtop firm" than without and helped with the motion transfer for me and my gf.

1.)Should I switch to a Stearns Firm without the pillowtop?

2.) Any other brands within my range that is better? (Simmons Beautyrest, Sealy? Serta?) on Macy's

3.) What would you get if you had a budget of $1000 for Queen mattress?

Thanks for your help!

This message was modified Jun 22, 2010 by kd12
Re: Advice for purchase on Stearns & Foster "English Meadows" Euro Pillowtop Firm
Reply #2 Jun 22, 2010 4:36 AM
Full disclosure:

You'll not find (m)any fans here of S brand beds, that includes S&F.

I agree with pianoman. If you buy an S brand you'll end up needing to buy a new bed soon OR do mattress surgery on it, so either buy a cheap spring bed knowing you're going to do surgery on it (that's the way to go if you don't think you'll like an all-foam mattress, like me) or make a DoItYourself all-foam mattress from either all latex, latex+PU or latex+memory foam.

Look at the Highlighted Threads at the top part of the page for more info.

Good luck.

p.s. If you and your girlfriend are the type that have no back or joint issues and can "sleep on anything" then maybe the S&F will work for you. In general, S Co mattresses are just not made with quality foam; no, not even S&F.

Recent Posts