About to purchase latex but I still have a few questions!
Dec 28, 2008 10:52 AM
I'm posting here because my 5-year-old Serta Perfect Sleeper isn't so perfect anymore.  My wife and I wake up every morning sleeping in a ditch and my back is now killing me.  We both like a plush mattress and after conducting a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that it is very hard to find a traditional pillowtop mattress that will not sag over time. We originally were looking at a tempur-pedic mattress but my wife doens't like the "stuck" feeling and I'm afraid that I'll be too hot.  Luckily I found this site and I would like to give props to all of you on this forum who have unwittingly assisted me with my search for a new mattress.  Based on the reviews here we decided to look at latex mattresses. 

At first we were going to just order a Flobeds mattress because of the return/exchange policy but we really wanted to try latex out first to make sure we liked it.  Fortunately we found a guy near my house who is a Savvy Rest dealer.  This is not his main line of business so we didn't get the typical used car salesman vibe that you usually get in a traditional mattress shop.  We spent over an hour there on Saturday trying different combinations of both Dunlop and Talalay.  I think that we have found our preferred configuration which is the following:

Wife (5'4" - 135lbs.):
Soft - Dunlop
Medium - Dunlop
Medium - Dunlop

Me (5"10" - 175lbs):
Soft - Talalay
Medium - Dunlop
Firm - Dunlop

My wife is not as picky but I like the plush feel of the Talalay topper with the more solid feel of the Dunlop underneath.  I'm hoping that that it will provide enough pressure relief so that my limbs don't fall asleep but enough support so that my lower back doesn't hurt.  We are not big into the organic scene but I do like the fact that these mattresses should be chemical free.  I would still consider going with another brand but we now know the feel (ILDs) of the Savvy Rest mattresses so I'm worried that it will be hard to find the equivelent without a bunch of exchanges.  I also feel some loyalty to the guy we forced to move mattress peices for over an hour.  SleepEZ is tempting because of the savings but after reading SLOPYS problems I'm a little reluctant to go that route.  I know that Savvy Rest won't take a return but I'm crossing my fingers that things won't change when start actually sleeping on this. 

I will probably place our order this week but before I do I wanted to ask a few questions: 

1.  Can any of you who have latex mattresses tell me if you've experienced any sagging and if so, what type of mattress you have?  Since that's the problem we have with our existing mattress, that's one of my biggest concerns. 

2.  Is there any break-in period?  Should this feel the same as the showroom the day it arrives our will it be stiffer a first until we sleep on it a while?

3.  Do any of you rotate your mattresses?  I guess with a split configuration you can only rotate 180 degrees but I'm wondering if it's necessary. 

4.  When we were playing at the Savvy Rest dealer we noticed that a couple of the pieces were flaking at the edge near the zipper.  Is this something that we should be concerned about?  I don't want the whole thing to start flaking in a couple of years. 

Any advice or comments regarding these questions or our configuration would be greatly appreciated!
This message was modified Jan 4, 2009 by warehouse
Re: About to purchase latex but I still have a few questions!
Reply #14 Jan 5, 2009 9:14 PM
Brianc wrote:
warehouse - Do you mind if I ask which furniture store near us carries the Englander product line?  Just want to keep my options open if we decide to keep our current bed, but ditch the wood-over-box spring setup.

Thanks,
Brian

It's called Oak Tree Furniture on Red Branch Road off of Route 108 in Columbia.  I was in there the other day looking at beds and noticed that they sell Englander mattresses.  They sell more than just oak!

http://www.oaktreefurniture-maryland.com/

I haven't checked with them on the price yet but I'm actually leaning towards building my own foundation.  Since we still haven't decided what type of bed we will buy in the future (platform vs. traditional) I don't want to spend more than I have to. If I use pine it will cost around $125.  I'll build two pieces just like my box springs and use a midbeam since the pine slats aren't as strong as other wood.   I can probably reuse the cloth casing from my current box springs so that it will have a finished look.  Something like this:

Recent Posts