About to purchase latex but I still have a few questions!
Dec 28, 2008 10:52 AM
I'm posting here because my 5-year-old Serta Perfect Sleeper isn't so perfect anymore.  My wife and I wake up every morning sleeping in a ditch and my back is now killing me.  We both like a plush mattress and after conducting a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that it is very hard to find a traditional pillowtop mattress that will not sag over time. We originally were looking at a tempur-pedic mattress but my wife doens't like the "stuck" feeling and I'm afraid that I'll be too hot.  Luckily I found this site and I would like to give props to all of you on this forum who have unwittingly assisted me with my search for a new mattress.  Based on the reviews here we decided to look at latex mattresses. 

At first we were going to just order a Flobeds mattress because of the return/exchange policy but we really wanted to try latex out first to make sure we liked it.  Fortunately we found a guy near my house who is a Savvy Rest dealer.  This is not his main line of business so we didn't get the typical used car salesman vibe that you usually get in a traditional mattress shop.  We spent over an hour there on Saturday trying different combinations of both Dunlop and Talalay.  I think that we have found our preferred configuration which is the following:

Wife (5'4" - 135lbs.):
Soft - Dunlop
Medium - Dunlop
Medium - Dunlop

Me (5"10" - 175lbs):
Soft - Talalay
Medium - Dunlop
Firm - Dunlop

My wife is not as picky but I like the plush feel of the Talalay topper with the more solid feel of the Dunlop underneath.  I'm hoping that that it will provide enough pressure relief so that my limbs don't fall asleep but enough support so that my lower back doesn't hurt.  We are not big into the organic scene but I do like the fact that these mattresses should be chemical free.  I would still consider going with another brand but we now know the feel (ILDs) of the Savvy Rest mattresses so I'm worried that it will be hard to find the equivelent without a bunch of exchanges.  I also feel some loyalty to the guy we forced to move mattress peices for over an hour.  SleepEZ is tempting because of the savings but after reading SLOPYS problems I'm a little reluctant to go that route.  I know that Savvy Rest won't take a return but I'm crossing my fingers that things won't change when start actually sleeping on this. 

I will probably place our order this week but before I do I wanted to ask a few questions: 

1.  Can any of you who have latex mattresses tell me if you've experienced any sagging and if so, what type of mattress you have?  Since that's the problem we have with our existing mattress, that's one of my biggest concerns. 

2.  Is there any break-in period?  Should this feel the same as the showroom the day it arrives our will it be stiffer a first until we sleep on it a while?

3.  Do any of you rotate your mattresses?  I guess with a split configuration you can only rotate 180 degrees but I'm wondering if it's necessary. 

4.  When we were playing at the Savvy Rest dealer we noticed that a couple of the pieces were flaking at the edge near the zipper.  Is this something that we should be concerned about?  I don't want the whole thing to start flaking in a couple of years. 

Any advice or comments regarding these questions or our configuration would be greatly appreciated!
This message was modified Jan 4, 2009 by warehouse
Re: About to purchase latex but I still have a few questions!
Reply #5 Jan 4, 2009 9:48 AM
I live in Columbia so I'm sure it's the same dealer. What are the odds?  It's a little strange to buy a bed from a software developer but I agree with your assessment that he really believes in the product and I never felt like he was pushing to make a sale.  He also spent a lot of time with us switching out configurations on two separate occasions.  Although I had to pay tax I also had a coupon for free shipping so the cost wasn't much more than ordering the Savvy Rest from an internet supplier.   

Just like you I went back and forth between the Savvy Rest and SleepEZ product but chose the Savvy Rest mainly because we got to try the SR product in the showroom and pick out the exact configuration that we liked.  It's very likely that the same configuration from SleepEZ would be fine but my wife has no patience for mattress shopping so I didn't want to risk the possibility that we would have to send things back.  The good news for you is that you also have the exchange policy and the added bonus of the ability to return the whole thing if it doesn't work out. 

Can I ask what you did for a foundation?  I saw your other posting about the VersiFlex product which looks very similar to one of the foundations that SleepEZ sells.  I was going to use my current box springs with some plywood but I've since changed my mind because I want to make sure the mattress can breathe. 

My mattress should also arrive this week so we can compare notes after a few nights of restful sleep!
Reply #6 Jan 4, 2009 11:49 AM
Wow...that is quite the coincidence!  I am in Ellicott City, right off Long Gate Parkway, so Rhintek was literally two minutes away.

To answer your question about the foundation, for now I am going to go with the plywood-over-the-box spring route.  I know this is not optimal, but I think it will do as a quick and cheap solution.  If everything works out with the mattress, we may look to just replace the bed with a new platform bed and ditch the need for a foundation altogether.

BTW, if you are interested, I found the queen Versiflex RTA foundation for $199 on line at Overnight Mattress.   I think the king is $299.

Good luck with your SR!

-Brian
Reply #7 Jan 4, 2009 2:39 PM
About the Versiflex foundation....

I thought that this looked good too and was ready to buy it, then I called the company that makes it, Coverest and asked them specifically how much space was between the slats.  I don't remember their exact answer but it was well above the 3" or so that I thought was safe to prevent the latex from sagging down through the cracks.  So I changed my mind and went with what Cloud9 on the forum here recommended..

For my King setup, I went to a local furniture store (not high end) and bought two very nice foundation pieces (Englander, but could be anything decent) that were exactly the height I wanted for $190 total. They are more than enough support for the latex and they even 'give' a little bit. This saved me quite a bit of money and they looked nice and it kept my total Latex 8" DIY system to just over a thousand dollars.

Reply #8 Jan 4, 2009 3:02 PM
Is the Englander foundation that you bought a box spring model or some type of solid wood?  Is it slatted or something else? 

I was going to order the SleepEZ model foundation:

http://sleepez.com/box-kd.htm

but it looks identical  to the one made by Coverest.  I'll call them on Monday and see if they can tell me what their slat spacing is.  If it's more than the recommended 3" then I'll probably rethink the plywood approach or look into making my own foundation.   I actually had plywood in my cart at my local hardware store but I was worried that 5/8" wasn't going to be thick enough and good quality 3/4" plywood was going to cost me $60, which I'd rather put towards a real foundation.  I also have a slight concern about the glue and wood smell in the plywood.  I have gotten headaches when I've had to work with it in the past.

Anyone have an idea whether I can put one of the Ikea slatted bases on a regular bed frame? 
This message was modified Jan 4, 2009 by warehouse
Reply #9 Jan 4, 2009 5:31 PM
warehouse wrote:
Is the Englander foundation that you bought a box spring model or some type of solid wood?  Is it slatted or something else?  

This is called a 'box foundation" but there are no springs in it. This is what you will find out there in the general market now. There really are no box springs being sold with any of the S and equivilent brand mattresses now. I think they went away when the flippable mattress left the scene.

This is perfectly fine for latex to go on and looks good too. See this thread for a picture of what I used.

Bill

Reply #10 Jan 4, 2009 6:53 PM
That looks like a nice setup!  So the set you got from Englander has slats that are close enough?  I just checked the single bed in one of our guest rooms which has a box foundation and the slats are probably 5 inches apart.  Maybe that's because it's designed for a standard twin bed. 

There's a furniture store near my house which sells Englander so I'll try to get by there tomorrow. 

Thanks for the response.

Reply #11 Jan 5, 2009 9:47 AM
warehouse - Do you mind if I ask which furniture store near us carries the Englander product line?  Just want to keep my options open if we decide to keep our current bed, but ditch the wood-over-box spring setup.

Thanks,
Brian
This message was modified Jan 5, 2009 by Brianc
Reply #12 Jan 5, 2009 4:04 PM
warehouse wrote:
That looks like a nice setup!  So the set you got from Englander has slats that are close enough?  I just checked the single bed in one of our guest rooms which has a box foundation and the slats are probably 5 inches apart.  Maybe that's because it's designed for a standard twin bed. 

There's a furniture store near my house which sells Englander so I'll try to get by there tomorrow. 

Thanks for the response.

Hi. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about this. Sorry.

The bed has a built in frame to drop the foundation pieces into, it also has 3 slats accross the frame that screw into the sides (head, middle and foot area), and these each have two feet under the middle area for support.  The foundation piece sits within the built-in frame.

Also - there's nothing really special about Englander for this other than my local furniture guy was able to order me a custom made oddball height for this (7").  Most of these pieces are in the 5" or 9" range. I wanted the 7" size to put my finished bed at a certain height.  Any of the S brand' box piece should work OK for this as long as it has a smooth top and no springs.

Bill

Reply #13 Jan 5, 2009 6:49 PM
BillB wrote:
Hi. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about this. Sorry.

The bed has a built in frame to drop the foundation pieces into, it also has 3 slats accross the frame that screw into the sides (head, middle and foot area), and these each have two feet under the middle area for support.  The foundation piece sits within the built-in frame.

Also - there's nothing really special about Englander for this other than my local furniture guy was able to order me a custom made oddball height for this (7").  Most of these pieces are in the 5" or 9" range. I wanted the 7" size to put my finished bed at a certain height.  Any of the S brand' box piece should work OK for this as long as it has a smooth top and no springs.

Bill

I now understand what you are talking about with the bed but my real question was about the foundation.  So it has some type of solid wood product on the top so that it is smooth?  The foundation that I have has slats on the top which then have a cloth cover over it.  On mine (twin) these slats are roughly 5 inches apart so I don't think that something like that would be supportive enough for a latex mattress.  If it's solid then that would work as long as I don't move somewhere where the humidity is too high since I''ve been told that the latex needs to breathe to prevent mold.  Thanks!
Reply #14 Jan 5, 2009 9:14 PM
Brianc wrote:
warehouse - Do you mind if I ask which furniture store near us carries the Englander product line?  Just want to keep my options open if we decide to keep our current bed, but ditch the wood-over-box spring setup.

Thanks,
Brian

It's called Oak Tree Furniture on Red Branch Road off of Route 108 in Columbia.  I was in there the other day looking at beds and noticed that they sell Englander mattresses.  They sell more than just oak!

http://www.oaktreefurniture-maryland.com/

I haven't checked with them on the price yet but I'm actually leaning towards building my own foundation.  Since we still haven't decided what type of bed we will buy in the future (platform vs. traditional) I don't want to spend more than I have to. If I use pine it will cost around $125.  I'll build two pieces just like my box springs and use a midbeam since the pine slats aren't as strong as other wood.   I can probably reuse the cloth casing from my current box springs so that it will have a finished look.  Something like this:

Recent Posts