6-inch latex mattresses for trundle bed. Suggestions please!
May 5, 2014 4:12 PM
I'm looking new mattresses for a trundle bed with a forty year old yellowing, crumbling 4-inch foam mattress on it. It's actually pretty comfortable, but has a huge dent in the middle.

My goal is for the two beds to act like a king size mattress when it's open. There is only six inches of space between the base of the top bed and the platform for the bottom bed.  It seemed like the only mattress that I could get that was 6 inches was a foam one.  

I really like a  6-inch Talalay mattress on a platform I laid on in a store here. It was a  single ILD throughout and cost about $800   

I looked online and saw FoamByMail for half the price and figured I'd just try one of their medium mattresses. Then I saw this forum and learned that the ILD varies from company to company as does the foam. And so many options...

Does anyone have experience with the 6-inch FoamByMail medium mattress by itself?  Should I get some layers and toppers?

I am 5'4 and about 130lbs.  I like a soft feel and anything would be better than what I have now.  I appreciate any suggestions. 

Thank you!!
Re: 6-inch latex mattresses for trundle bed. Suggestions please!
Reply #4 May 16, 2014 5:15 PM
Is there any way to know how firm or soft  that would feel????  How does FBM softness compare with others?

Should I get a softer layer.  A combo of 2/3/4 inches???  I am worried it will be too firm.

Thank you!!

Reply #5 May 19, 2014 12:02 PM
Tamato wrote:

Is there any way to know how firm or soft  that would feel????  How does FBM softness compare with others?

Should I get a softer layer.  A combo of 2/3/4 inches???  I am worried it will be too firm.

Thank you!!

Tamato.  What was the firmness rating of the 6-inch Talalay mattress you tested in the store?  Figure that out and we can go from there.  Mattdud.

Reply #6 May 20, 2014 11:56 AM
The mattresses I tried were at Dixie Foam in NYC.  The extra firrm was 40 ILD and the medium firm was 35/36.  The extra was way too firm for me.  The medium was good. I could even stand softer.

Any thoughts?????

Thank you!!!!

Reply #7 May 21, 2014 12:06 PM
Tamato wrote:

The mattresses I tried were at Dixie Foam in NYC.  The extra firrm was 40 ILD and the medium firm was 35/36.  The extra was way too firm for me.  The medium was good. I could even stand softer.

Any thoughts?????

Thank you!!!!

Tamato.  Since you can even stand softer than 35/35 you should try FBM 29ILD.  I would only buy one though.  You can test it to see if you like it, if you do buy the other half or try something different.  Mattdud.

Recent Posts