$500 to $800 to spend on a new Queen...
Apr 9, 2011 10:37 PM
Hi All,

I will be spending the next few days/weeks looking for a new mattress. My fiance' and I are tired of sleeping on the mattress I bought in college about 5 years ago. At the time it was a good deal as I needed a bed, and the idea of "individual pocket coils" seemed great. I can say now that they do not suit us at all, and I am paying for it with 2 months of insomnia.

We are primarily side sleepers, although my fiance' does occassionaly sleep on her stomach. We generally sleep close to each other, and never move to the extreme edges of the bed (Queen). We are both of healthy/lightweight build of average height.

We both prefer a firmer feel, and the bed we have no has grown much too soft. I'm not sure a pillowtop is right for us since I don't want to get too hot.

Now with my budget, I am not expecting to get an amazing mattress that will last me 15 years - but I don't need it to. We are looking for a mattress that will last us 2-3 years of primary use, and another 5-7 as a "guest bed" where it will see rare use for traveling family/friends. I am only really familiar with traditional mattresses, and had some good feedback from friends that bought memory foam. After reading here, I believe that memory foam is NOT what we would like. I have 2 huskies, and they sometimes end up on the bed, adding extra body heat and dust/dander to the room. I like to sleep in a cool room, and it is usually 55-65 in there, depending on the season.

There seems to be a lot of positive feedback on the latex foam mattresses here - but from my research, we can expect to pay quite a bit more than my budget. Am I looking in the wrong direction? I am not opposed to buying online, but I would definitely like to see a mattress of similar build/type in person before I buy. 

Lastly, I must apologize for posting without more knowledge - it is against my normal habit and not proper forum etiquette~ but my fiance' and doctor have demanded that I find something soon so I can sleep better and clam the tossing and turning. (She also suffers from minor back problems from our bed)

Any help is much appreciated, and as always I will continue to read!

EDIT: My budget is for a mattress ONLY. I have a platform bed with a solid plywood bottom, no need for box spring here.

This message was modified Apr 9, 2011 by onlytrueromeo
Re: $500 to $800 to spend on a new Queen...
Reply #11 Apr 14, 2011 8:00 PM
We really liked the guy at Metro Mattress off of Central Ave. in Albany/Schenectady. He dropped the prices a ton if you ask what the best he can do is (we talked to Ken) and they also price match or beat competitors. We also liked the selection at Capital Mattress and Waterbed. Lots to look at, but they weren't as flexible on their prices. If you find a mattress you like somewhere, go other places to check them out.

The Olender place we went to had a few problems:

Dirty - its located downtown schenectady, and was not that clean inside or out. Dirt on the floor, beds, and junk inside.

Small selection - only sold englander beds, and insulted "the other guys" who sold other beds.

Rude staff - the 2 people that were in there (and we were the only customers) couldn't really care when we asked questions, and didn't know the prices on 13 mattresses in their store off the top of their heads. They said they would price match, but I didn't feel comfortable shopping there.

Biggest thing you have to worry about is people LYING. The salesmen are slick, and talk out their asses. They will tell you "no one offers that" and "trust me this is the best" all the time. Be wary, and remember to do research before you go and don't jump right into things. Also, Taft was super expensive

Even the guy we bought our mattress from told us stuff I knew not to be true - but I believe he did so out of his own misinformation. Either way, I was prepared ahead of time and knew what to look for. We ended up buying the cheaper Sealy Posturepedic since it was one of the only stores that offered a "comfort guarantee" and it was the cheapest mattress we found that we liked. Its ultrafirm, and is not for everyone. Got delivered today so I cannot comment on it yet, as I have not slept in it. We bought a 2" latex topper from sears (no holes in it, it doesn't say the type so I have no idea what it is) for super sale at $50 AFTER tax. It's really comfy so far, we slept on it last night on our bed with sinkholes and it definitely improved our sleep. I still woke up with pain/tightness but I did not toss/turn for the usual 2 hours before sleep.

I'll give you an update in the next few days. The other mattress we REALLY liked was at Capital and it was the King Koil Latex one on sale for $755. If for some reason I hate the mattress I'm on now, I will return it and take the fee to get that one. 

If you go to Metro on Central and talk to Ken, try to get an extra discount by saying I sent you, haha.

Recent Posts