20% off memory foam mattresses by foam by mail
Oct 3, 2008 9:54 PM
There is a cashback rebate going on that will give you 30% off products on ebay.
I was able to purchase a memory foam queen mattress 3" of 5.5 memory foam topper with 5" LUX-HQ base from foam by mail for $450-$100 rebate to be received = $350 shipped.
PM me for details.
The rebate would have been more had foam by mail not chosed to have $100 as shipping on ebay 
Re: 20% off memory foam mattresses by foam by mail
Reply #4 Oct 9, 2008 1:21 AM
Jazzsinger777 wrote:
The HD36-HQ stuff ... is that pretty hard?

Have you read about "off gassing" and memory foam? My wife and i really like it until I stumbled upon a website that talked about all the side effects people were having with it. The site is www.chem-tox.com

I am quite interested in possibly ordering the foam for a mattress myself.

HD36-HQ is described as medium on thier website, but some people have reported that its rather medium-firm.

I glanced briefly at the website. Yes, the chemicals are a wee bit of concern to me, but not too much.
I would not get these mattresses for a baby though, they are much more sensitive, it all depends on the dose.

Here is a comment that was posted on some site

Unknown wrote:
As a scientist (and chemist, no less), I hate articles like this. According to the article, mattresses emit 61 chemicals. Which ones? In what quantities? With current gas chromatography / mass spec methods you can take airspace samples and find parts per trillion of chemicals these days. A part per trillion isn't exactly a lot. What I'm saying is, if you want to sensationalize something, at least provide some quantitative data.

Because really, most chemicals aren't evil. You'd be surprised at the sorts of stuff emitted by flowers, fruits, and vegetables, the chemicals that give them their characteristic smells and tastes. Lots of smells are due to benzene derivatives - vanilla (vanillin) and cinnamon (ethyl cinnamate) immediately come to mind. Lots of others are due to a class of compounds called terpenes - lavender, rose, mint, pine, musk, etc. Most of these are relatively poisonous - some are deterents to keep animals or insects from eating them. I could go on but it's late and my flavor chemistry books are in lab. Heck, I once unintentionally made an ester that smelled exactly like green apple - delicious. Anyways, the point is, most of these compounds are, in large quantity, poisonous, and sure, they might make you pretty sick - if you drank a whole glass. But at daily exposure levels, I'm more worried about eating undercooked meat and driving a car.

Walnut trees (genus Juglans) exude a chemical called juglone that inhibit other plants in the vicinity, minimizing competition. Red ant bites hurt so much because they secrete formic acid (hence the ant family name, Formicidae). Speaking of acids, vinegar is just a dilute solution of acetic acid. And capric and caproic acid smell like goats (genus Capra).

I've slept on a memory foam pillow for years with no side effects (that I can think of), so  I sprung for this mattress. I will put a mattress pad on top of it though.

The other reason I'm still going for this mattress is because of the presence of other possible carcinogens in my apt
--chemicals in furniture
--possible lead paint in old apt
--old apt
--artificial sweetners
--pesticides (non-organic foods)
--additives in foods (eg flavors, colors)
--exhaust from vehicles in city

Once I  decide to chuck all the above, then it would make more sense for me to avoid the memory mattresses.

Finally here is a report from http://www.chem-tox.com (this is for mice):
At the peak effect, a traditional mattress (wire springs with fiber padding) caused airflow decrease in 11% of breaths ,...
The largest airflow decrease  affecting 26% of the breaths occurred with a polyurethane foam pad covered with vinyl.
All mattresses caused pulmonary irritation, as shown by 17-23% of breaths at peak

http://www.chem-tox.com/beds/frame-beds.htm

It went from 11% to 26% decrease in airflow  from traditional to foam pads covered with vinyl.
The difference in pulmonary irritation was even lower.
Did not seem to be too alarming to me. I also hope that the effect will be much less pronounced
on human adults who sleep on mattresses covered with sheets etc.

ALSO note that, to show that latex mattresses are better, we need studies to show that they are indeed better.
Saying X is harmful is not sufficient; we need to show X is harmful and Y not so harmful.
Just because something is natural does mean it is benign.

Recent Posts