is 14ild latex topper from sleeplikeabear.com can someone help me to know if that is too soft for me
Sep 5, 2010 3:14 AM
would 2 inch  14ild  be too soft,   iam  5' 7, 200 lbs.,   i had  2 in. soft  from foambymail.com,  they don't say ild numbers and it was kind of like firm with some bouciness to it.   so i sent it back thinking that 2 in was too much  now with the 1in. foambymail soft it is not enough so i need to go back to 2in.  but maybe with a different type of latex like the talalay process . plus the 1in. from foambymail has the holes all over the place nothing is uniform  and the last 12in. on one side they is no holes at all all the way down . this i don't see could have come out of a mold so how did they make this 1in. piece.  the 2in. that i sent back was nice quality  not this 1in.   
This message was modified Sep 5, 2010 by tony
Re: is 14ild latex topper from sleeplikeabear.com can someone help me to know if that is too soft for me
Reply #1 Sep 5, 2010 10:15 AM
The 14 ILD is pretty soft.  That said, at 100 lb, I did find it compromised the circulation on my downside arm a bit but I don't think that will be an issue for your weight.  It would not be as soft as a PU foam topper of the likes you can get at department stores however because it will provide a wee bit of push back.  Sleeplikeabear is more expensive that some of the other sites but it is the only one offering 14 ILD.  .You could try just 1" 14 ILD over the 1" you have from foambymail - what is the ILD of the foambymail soft?  I have forgotten what you are putting these toppers on top of - refresh my memory please.

Also, my 14 ILD had a very strong odor and I can still smell it after over 2 months.  I don't use it (just in experiments) and I was going to send it back but the hassle just wasn't worth it (they have a restocking fee) and I'm in Canada so shipping can get pricey.

Re: is 14ild latex topper from sleeplikeabear.com can someone help me to know if that is too soft for me
Reply #2 Sep 5, 2010 10:45 AM
the foambymail  is 20ild,  i diff would not want the sleeplikeabear if it  smells,  foambymail does not very little,  does the latex made by latex intl,

make any different and my bed i got is a 400.00 simmons with very little foam on it so it would not sink in the middle, and i could add a latex topper

to make my own comfort.  also would 2 separate 1 inch pieces  have a diff feel  then one solid 2 in. piece.

also this is for dianeK   so sleeplikeabear website  for odor they say  this so it is not true?

• Non-toxic sweet vanilla smell;
  • Intensity varies by how much the foam has been aired out;
  • Odor fades out to the point that it is not noticeable.
  • This message was modified Sep 5, 2010 by tony
    Reply #3 Sep 5, 2010 12:02 PM
  • Non-toxic sweet vanilla smell; was more of a chemical smell
  •  

• Intensity varies by how much the foam has been aired out; yes, when I phoned they said that newer pieces smell stronger than older pieces
  •  

• Odor fades out to the point that it is not noticeable. not yet for me, but with other latex I have received in the past, yes it does fade.
  • As to your other question about 1" vs., 2", I think that 2 x 1" pieces will feel softer than 1 x 2".
  • Re: is 14ild latex topper from sleeplikeabear.com can someone help me to know if that is too soft for me
    Reply #4 Sep 5, 2010 2:15 PM
    Hi Tony,

First:  I am assuming your are bottoming the 1 inch 20 ILD from FBM? (likely)  Do you like the softness of the 1" piece you have?  Is it big enough to fold so you can feel 2 x 1 inch?  If you like that and don't bottom.. get another 1 inch piece from FBM and hope and pray it is consistent with the first 1 inch piece.

If you want softer than the FBM 1 inch, than you may want to add 1 inch of SLAB 14 ILD.

I have in house as part of my "inventory" of latex tried on top of a firm mattress.. soon to be surgery:

2 inch 'soft' FBM Latex.  They actually call it 20 ILD, but it is very, very firm.  I believe mine from them was dunlop process... so that is why it is very firm, because dunlop is denser, heavier.  They swore it was "talalay" and that it was "soft".  None of their product is marked in any way. (!)  The 2" was not near soft enough for me and would have "bridged" about anything under it, even a softer mattress top.  I may use it as a base.

I then reluctantly ordered a 1 inch "soft" 20 ILD layer from FBM.. and it was very markedly softer... probably 70% as firm as my 2 inch piece.  It was reasonably soft, but for my boney 61 year old 170 lb body... both side and back sleeper with lumbar pain... it was not soft enough for the top layer.  The 2 inch FBM topper had holes that did not go all the way through... one reason for extra firmness.

I then ordered 1"  14 ILD from sleeplikeabear.com  It is quite soft, but amazingly still supportive, but very jiggly compared to the FBM.  I actually prefer the dunlop like feel, but they just cannot make dunlop process soft enough for my surface layer needs.

Others have complained about the inconsistency of what is delivered and what it feels like from FBM.  My 1" piece had several 2 inch square cutout glue in patches.  Still functional, though.

I have split my 1 " 20 ILD soft from FBM into two half mattress pieces (you can fold it to see what it feels like at 2 inches x 1 inch softer pieces.).

2 x 1nch of FBM 20 ILD very decidedly softer and less dense than my 2" piece.

Hope this helps.

Ray Charles  (and Stevie Wonder)

The blind leading the blind.

Reply #5 Sep 5, 2010 2:20 PM
    DianeK  iam having trouble understanding  when you say the 14ild is very soft,  but  it is not soft enough where it is able to compromise your arm  circulation on my downside arm  even at 100 lb. seems like that would not happen,    maybe it was not 14,  maybe it was 19ild .
    Reply #6 Sep 5, 2010 2:26 PM
    shovel99 wrote:

Hi Tony,

First:  I am assuming your are bottoming the 1 inch 20 ILD from FBM? (likely)  Do you like the softness of the 1" piece you have?  Is it big enough to fold so you can feel 2 x 1 inch?  If you like that and don't bottom.. get another 1 inch piece from FBM and hope and pray it is consistent with the first 1 inch piece.

If you want softer than the FBM 1 inch, than you may want to add 1 inch of SLAB 14 ILD.

I have in house as part of my "inventory" of latex tried on top of a firm mattress.. soon to be surgery:

2 inch 'soft' FBM Latex.  They actually call it 20 ILD, but it is very, very firm.  I believe mine from them was dunlop process... so that is why it is very firm, because dunlop is denser, heavier.  They swore it was "talalay" and that it was "soft".  None of their product is marked in any way. (!)  The 2" was not near soft enough for me and would have "bridged" about anything under it, even a softer mattress top.  I may use it as a base.

I then reluctantly ordered a 1 inch "soft" 20 ILD layer from FBM.. and it was very markedly softer... probably 70% as firm as my 2 inch piece.  It was reasonably soft, but for my boney 61 year old 170 lb body... both side and back sleeper with lumbar pain... it was not soft enough for the top layer.  The 2 inch FBM topper had holes that did not go all the way through... one reason for extra firmness.

I then ordered 1"  14 ILD from sleeplikeabear.com  It is quite soft, but amazingly still supportive, but very jiggly compared to the FBM.  I actually prefer the dunlop like feel, but they just cannot make dunlop process soft enough for my surface layer needs.

Others have complained about the inconsistency of what is delivered and what it feels like from FBM.  My 1" piece had several 2 inch square cutout glue in patches.  Still functional, though.

I have split my 1 " 20 ILD soft from FBM into two half mattress pieces (you can fold it to see what it feels like at 2 inches x 1 inch softer pieces.).

2 x 1nch of FBM 20 ILD very decidedly softer and less dense than my 2" piece.

Hope this helps.

Ray Charles  (and Stevie Wonder)

The blind leading the blind.

so you are happy then  with the  1in soft fbm  and on top of it the 1inch 14ild sleeplikeabear?  and since the  dunlop is denser, heavier cause of this dunlop process,  would a piece  of latex made the talalay process  be less denser

This message was modified Sep 5, 2010 by tony
    Reply #7 Sep 6, 2010 12:04 AM
    See my new post under Scalped my Serta for my new stack on top of springs.

Most people put the softest on top, progressing to the firmest on the bottom... so do I.  14 ILD 1 inch, 20 ILD 1 inch, 20 ILD (really more like 28-30, I think) 2 inch.... then springs.

On top of your mattress, probably just 14 iLD x 1 inch (or 20 ILD)  then 20 ILD ( FBM.)

If you can use two of what you have, do so... save about $90 over the softer SLAB.

Just enough soft to accommodate your body curvature whether you sleep side (need more padding for only hip and shoulder supporting entire weight).. then as firm as you can stand.

Again... fold your 2" FBM in half and try that.  If that works... get another piece so you will have 2 (Queen?) x 1 inch thick.

My experience was that the one inch was a lot softer than the 2 inch of the supposedly the same material.  Hence if you want soft but 2 inches, get 2 x 1 inch.

If you want softer and are willing to pay nearly double for the extra soft (I was)... get the www.sleeplikeabear.com 14 ILD talalay.

Good luck, shovel99

Reply #8 Sep 6, 2010 6:21 AM
    ok  iam going to try that  first i must return my 1 inch soft that i just got  from Foambymail  cause there are holes missing all over it .
    This message was modified Sep 6, 2010 by tony
    Reply #9 Sep 6, 2010 3:20 PM
    tony wrote:

DianeK  iam having trouble understanding  when you say the 14ild is very soft,  but  it is not soft enough where it is able to compromise your arm  circulation on my downside arm  even at 100 lb. seems like that would not happen,    maybe it was not 14,  maybe it was 19ild .

I am sure it is 14 ILD because it is very squishy.  I just need something slightly softer than 14 ILD, which doesn't exist in latex.  And it may be that no matter what the ILD is in latex, the push-back it provides is just incompatible with my body.

The Costco memory foam topper (Pure Comfort) is also rated at 14 ILD and I couldn't sleep on it until it softened up a bit with time.  Based on that, I bought a 3 lb MF that is rated as 10 ILD - didn't compromise my circulation but provided no support in the ribcage area once it warmed up so that was a bust.  Even 4 lb. Aerus which is rated at 12 ILD will start to affect my circulation when I have tried it in a mattress store - whether it would soften up enough to become 10 ILD over time I don't know.  Alas, I can find no MF rated at 10 ILD but is of higher density, like 4 lb or 5 lb for extra support.  Such are the tribulations of someone with fibromyalgia. 

Recent Posts