Prana Vinyasa (#4) Plush - City Mattress
Apr 26, 2011 8:24 AM
Alright.  I've been procrastinating for about three years and was on mattress overload after researching Latex, Box spring and NASA space age best stuff in the world foam beds.  Should I get this or that.  Well that guys says this and this woman said that.  It was giving me headaches reading all the endless possibilities and thinking, "will we be happy with the next bed?"

We pulled the trigger on a new Prana Vinyasa (4th Gen) Plush.  Purchased at City Mattress in Florida. I was torn as my wife preferred the firm, though admitted she didn't care what we had as long as she could sleep.  Last minute decision was the plush.  The reason.  I dont' care what she thinks.  I work and she doesn't.  Soo with that I got what I liked.  <----- Just Joking about the later.  It's true she doesn't work.  Anyhow, we have a 11 year old Sealy pillowtop "plush".  My side has the hole.  Her's does not.  Backpain is common for me due to my career and sports.  I have shoulder pain, particularly my right shoulder is the problem.  So if I sleep on my right side after hours it will ache.  I tend to switch between back on right-side.  I'm 6'00 at 200lbs.  She's 5'06 at 135lbs "or there 'bouts".  Incidentally, I just tweaked my lower spine at the gym, "OUCH!!".  At my age I guess I need to slow down some, but my brain tells me I'm only 20.  Out the door price was $4290.oo.  WTH, in my wildest predictions I never thought I would spend that on anything except a toy for the garage.

Over the last three years I have gone in and out of the mattress stores.  Each salesperson has their favorite model to sell.  Ironically, they have all steered me away from Tempur-pedic.  Probably, for the reason someone on this forum who sells bedding stated the commision is low and there is NEVER a sale or discount.  No matter though.  I didn't like the "quicksand" feel of that brand and a friend of mine recently purchased one for his second bedroom.  He slept on it a few times and couldn't believe how "hot" it felt.  I laid on the Comfor-pedics too.  The foam reacted much quicker and rolling over etc. did not seem a problem too me and they apparently are manufactured differently than the Tempurs and sleep cooler.  I had my mind set on the FIJI or the one below it.  Then I was speaking with someone at work who told me to look at the Pranas, it's latex.  I also recalled a conversation with a salesperson who stated, he didn't care what I purchased as long as I seriously considered a latex mattress.  He stated I would be VERY satisfied with it.  The only issue being I may need to exchange for firmness, other than that, "I would love it."

Have you noticed whatever brand of mattress a salesperson is pushing, they happen to own.  Hmmm, puzzeling and ironic at the same time.

Well, the Prana will be delivered tomorrow, and I will keep a log as to comfort etc.  BTW, the manager and salesperson at the City Mattress store were VERY helpful and stated verbatim all the benefits of this style of bed.

I'll keep you updated, fingers crossed.

Re: Prana Vinyasa (#4) Plush - City Mattress
Reply #1 May 1, 2011 9:44 PM
my husband & i were just at a city mattress this morning.....am really curious what you think of the bed after a couple nights? we are planning on getting the same mattress. not wanting to get the firmest yet (as our current is extrememly soft & sunken)...figured would try the vinyasa plush & if we weren't getting any good nights of sleep we would exchange for the firmer.

am planning on buying this tuesday, so would be great if you catch this post before then. thanks!

Reply #2 May 2, 2011 7:53 AM
Updates...Updates...Updates...

Night number 2

Well, the salesperson stated it was 60% pure latex, allowing you to sleep much cooler.  Well I sleep hot.  I found it warm to sleep on, not hot but warm.  My wife stated the same thing and she is the one who sleeps with all the covers.

Telling me she sweat a lot.  Today I received a call from the salesperson.  I expressed my concern, she stated, "take off the mattress cover", "the cool-topper on the mattress won't work with the cotton mattress pad on".  Well if I do that and somehow I end up staining the mattress, I'm SOL on the exchange...So I'll wait for that.

We keep the house at 78 degrees (because it's recommended by FPL) <--- Not really, wife just gets really cold very easily.  You'd think she was in her 90's.

My shoulders and lower back were sore the next morning, though I'll give the bed time.  The salesperson stated it could take weeks for my body to adjust to the new comfort..."Whatever".  I still toss and turn Rodney Yee (the Yoga guy).

Can't say it's been the best nights sleep yet.  BUT it is more comfortable than the old one.  I am not as sore as before.  But I did sleep warm even without covers, which I don't use.

This message was modified May 2, 2011 by BedSlug
Reply #3 May 2, 2011 8:08 AM

Night Number 3

Night 3 I slept well. We turned the A/C down 1 degree to 77 degrees.  I felt refreshed.  No lie.  Refreshed.  The fact is for a better sleep pattern, the room needs to be DARK (it is) and Cool (it was...for us at least).

As far as comfort.  It's growing on me.  I'm contemplating purchasing the Prana Pillows.  Price is $249 each though.  I had purchased new pillows a month or so ago from Bed, Bath and Beyond not high end or such,

just squishey pillows.  They make my head sweat so I put a new cover on my 16 year old pillow and am happy with it...sort of.  I shave my head.  BY CHOICE for your information.  Lower back seems less sore.  But to add a note, I haven't been doing my regular work-out routine, just the elliptical for an hour each day to make up for the loss of my other routine. 

If you sleep on your stomach and have lower back pain.  I have noticed on this "Plush" model, my lower back gets sore after about 5 minutes if i am hugging my pillow and on my stomach.  It seems my back is bent just

the right amount in order to sink into the "Plush".  However, if I do not use a pillow there is no pain as there is less of a curvature to my spine.

Motion Transfer

Well the salesperson stated I wouldn't feel my wife entering or exiting the bed.  Bull-Shnit.  It is NOT anywhere comparable to a standard spring mattress but it is noticeable. 

Edge Support

Seems not to be present The only way to take care of this feature is to get the "Firm" version.  It sinks, BUT, it is strong.  I don't feel as though I will fall off as I sleep close to the edge anyhow out of habit.  When sitting on

the edge it SINKS not when I'm laying down as my weight is distributed.

The bed in the store is DEFINITELY SOFTER than the new one at my house.  I assume from all the people testing it out.

This message was modified May 2, 2011 by BedSlug
Reply #4 May 2, 2011 8:28 AM

Nights 4 and 5

Well.  I am sleeping OK.  Not great.  Sore again.  Now I cannot say this is due to the bed.  I have started up my workout routine again and I am sore as I took a 1 week hiatus.  I still toss and turn.  I think I just expected SOOO much from purchasing this bed that I am a bit disappointed.  My brain tells me every night, that this will be the best night.  It hasn't been yet.  I do expect a lot. Especially after spending $4200 dollars.  That with a 10 % discount.  Yes there is one, but you need to know who else had received one in order to get it...according to the manager anyway.

I realize all these updates were done on the Monday morning here.  I apologize. I'm one man and can only do so much.  I will update again in about a week.

OH YES.  Bravo Zulu to the guys from USSWOST6.  Usama (Osama) Bin Laden is gone.

Reply #5 May 17, 2011 9:53 PM
Update...Update...Update...

OK.  Gotta say.  I have "adjusted" to the bed.  Workout routine is again routine.  Sleeping VERY WELL.  There is some motion transfer from the other side, but I haven't been awoken

by it yet as I always go to bed earlier than the Mrs.  I still toss/turn, but I think that's me.  I'm a very light sleeper, a problem I picked up after X years in the service.

We're pleased.  Repainted the room, changed the paintings and removed an old dresser.  It's a brand new room.  Goin' to bed.  GOOD NIGHT. Boa Noite.

Reply #6 Oct 6, 2012 11:49 PM
BedSlug wrote:

Update...Update...Update...

OK.  Gotta say.  I have "adjusted" to the bed.  Workout routine is again routine.  Sleeping VERY WELL.  There is some motion transfer from the other side, but I haven't been awoken

by it yet as I always go to bed earlier than the Mrs.  I still toss/turn, but I think that's me.  I'm a very light sleeper, a problem I picked up after X years in the service.

We're pleased.  Repainted the room, changed the paintings and removed an old dresser.  It's a brand new room.  Goin' to bed.  GOOD NIGHT. Boa Noite.

So how is the Pranasleep now that you are 18 months in?

Recent Posts