Poly foam types...Yankee Mattress
Feb 27, 2011 10:03 AM
Anyone buy a mattress set from Yankee Mattress Factory in MA?  What was your experience if so? 

I was there the other day and spent a few hours (!) talking w/ the guy; there was no one else in the store. It's a small local business (they have a number of stores, but all in the western MA area I think??). Low overhead, etc.  They make about 10 different mattress sets, a few have latex and/or memory foam but most don't.  I want something w/out so this worked for me.  Then you get your usual selection of firmness, amount of plushness on top, etc.

The rep was very low-key, non pressure, not slick or any of that. We talked a lot about types of materials. He said they use 1.8 or 2.8 high quality foam (soft or firm depending on the bed).  Can anyone comment on that type of foam?  I told him how I recently bought a Beautyrest which is just a few months old...started out too hard, broke in about 6 weeks later, but now is starting to dip too much in the hip area. He said it's due to poor quality foam in the top layers.  I said of course the people at Sleepy's didn't give me any specs.  He insisted the foam on their beds won't dip/sag like that because it's better quality.  I recall something about upholstery-grade foam....some of the foam (if not all?) that they use is that, according to him. Will this make a big difference in saggy body impressions?

These mattresses are made individually in the factory so you wait about a week to get your mattress. They can tailor it to how you want it..like if it comes with a layer of 1.8 and 2.8 foam on top, you can get two layers of 1.8 or whatever.  You also get a 30-day trial period where for a small fee ($85 or so I think) they will change up layers to suit you.  They have in fact honored that "comfort fix" for customers far later than 30 days--he told me about a guy who called a year after buying the bed who wants the padding changed.

Under the foam layers the mattresses have either pocketed springs or 'regular' springs (I dont know what you call them). They have a model that has regular springs with a layer of small pocketed springs on top, too. So even though they don't have a huge selection, what they have is diverse. 

The mattresses are 1 sided which I was surprised about; they can make it 2 sided if you want, but he said that will change the feel and there's no demo of that on the floor.

Their prices are really reasonable in my experience, average $500 for a queen mattress only. These are their regular prices not sale prices (they do'nt have sales and as we all know most mattress "sales" aren't realy sales at all.)

I liked the place, the mattresses, and the non-pushy and informative sales rep.

Any thoughts?

This message was modified Feb 27, 2011 by requin
Re: Poly foam types...Yankee Mattress
Reply #1 Mar 25, 2011 11:26 AM
Requin,  I can only assume that the 1.8 and 2.8 foam that you are talking about it the density of the foam which in the United State we go by pfc or pounds per cubit foot.   so the 1.8 is 1.8 pounds per cubic foot.  Essentially what that means is the higher the number then the more foam and the less air you have per area.  The foam can also be hard or soft which is not necessarily related to the density of the foam.  The firmness of the foam is usually just a matter of personal perference not related to quality. 

Recent Posts