PU Foam w Latex Topper pls let this work
Dec 5, 2012 8:17 AM
After a few years of very uncomfortable nights I think it's tiime to go back to the foam of my youth.  I'm a side/back sleeper, 5'10" and weigh about 160 lbs. 

Of course in my youth we had PU foam though I'd get latex if I could afford it.  Not even sure I'd like it though I got my mother, who lives far away, to try one for me (they've got lots of bed stores where she lives) and she told me the latex mattress was heavenly.  Hmmm, sounds good but who knows if I'd like it. 

I live in a small town in BC, Canada and there is no latex here to try though I could drive several hours to find some but when I was young my family always used PU foams.  I can't imagine the foams we had were that dense though I think I need to order a fairly dense one (for longevity) and something with a higher ILD (38?).  Then perhaps I could afford an online latex topper (20 ILD). 

A few of my friends and family still only use PU foam.  Does anyone here do that?  I did buy one from a local retailer about a year back but it is not at all a high ILD nor dense either though they said it was medium density (it did not work well for me though for someone else maybe).  My arm circulation got cut off constantly and my lower back was in pain. 

With lower back pain still and poor arm circulation I'm hoping a denser firmer PU foam (until I can afford something better?) and a latex topper will be the ticket.  Any thoughts for me?  Anyone using just PU? 

From what I've read here my original thought of throwing a latex topper (or memory foam topper) on top of my lumpy bumpy 'new' mattress would be a very bad idea.  I'd like to build up from a firm base to a latex topper so maybe will need a middle layer in there to help at some point.  

I woke early today as usual (the less time in that lumpy bed the better) and was determined to order something online but thought I'd vent on here first.  I am looking for somewhat of a budget build for now.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.    Thank you. 

RB

Re: PU Foam w Latex Topper pls let this work
Reply #1 Dec 5, 2012 1:25 PM
Briefly:

• Going the foam route is more experimental.
  • Latex is considered a better and more expensive foam than polyfoam.
  • Latex ventilates better than polyfoam.
  • Minimum model might be 2" 22-24 ILD Talalay Latex comfort layer on ~6" 36-44 ILD high resilience polyfoam core support layer.
  • Requires a flat, solid or slatted foundation.
  • Alternatively, shop for a medium firm innerspring mattress with decent comfort layer (no pillow top and minimal cheap polyfoam).  Can add a 2" Latex topper later, if desired.

GK

Reply #2 Dec 5, 2012 2:52 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, GK. 

I really need to change things up so I can get some rest. 

Reply #3 Dec 7, 2012 11:54 PM
Looking at Ultracel foam now as not much foam around here but soft low density stuff.  Maybe it's time to shop across the border....

Guess I could travel to Vancouver and buy an Ikea latex bed or something.  smiley

Reply #4 Dec 11, 2012 12:28 PM
Can't find much on Ultracel so maybe it's the same old PU foam for the most part. 

Why is everything so expensive in Canada?  Must be the distance it all has to be shipped.  Hmmm.

Recent Posts