Original Mattress Factory Orthopedic Questions: Anyone own one?
Mar 2, 2010 3:12 PM
Hi. New member here but I've been lurking for about two weeks learning as much about mattresses as I can.

I was wondering if anyone here has any first-hand experience with the Original Mattress Factory Luxury Firm Orthopedic model. It's a somewhat thickly, but certainly not plush, padded mattress with 12.75 gauge coils. I find the mattress extremely comfortable in the store, but of course have concerns about wear and tear, impressions, etc. I also like their Regency model which has innersprings with more give since they are 14.5 gauge.

I've been reading reviews on the internet which frankly haven't been kind to the Orthopedic model. However, most of the reviews have been for plush or pillowtop models which start to sag, which I can't really blame on the manufacturer. Anyone here have any first-hand experience with the Orthopedic Luxury Firm model at the Original Mattress Factory?
Re: Original Mattress Factory Orthopedic Questions: Anyone own one?
Reply #1 Mar 2, 2010 4:39 PM
Wow, I'm impressed!

I really LIKE being able to see exactly what I'm buying and what kind of foam is in there. You just might have a winner but I'm sure someone will find something wrong!

Sure looks like plenty of consumers don't like this place.....I have now read some reviews: OUCH!

Alice

This message was modified Mar 2, 2010 by fantasticalice
Reply #2 Mar 2, 2010 6:42 PM
I'm just concerned that when the padding eventually becomes worn down that the 12.75 gauge coil will be too firm and not allow my body to sink into the mattress itself.
Reply #3 Mar 3, 2010 11:58 AM
And just for reference the layers are :

1.25 inches of convoluted PU foam
2 1/4 inch layers of PU foam
Hair liner and cotton batting
12.75 gauge offset coils with 6 turns

Good mattress? Too firm?
Reply #4 Mar 3, 2010 12:05 PM
That is just WAY too much PU foam in my opinion, though any at all is more than I'd like.  If you are at all worried about impressions I'd stay well clear of something that has 3"+ of PU foam, which is likely causing all of those bad reviews on the net.  If you do just like the feeling of the foam, you might try finding a firm mattress that has no foam or very little and then adding a topper to it.  That way when the topper goes kaput, you can just throw that out instead of the whole mattress.  Seems to be what a great many people do here with success.
Reply #5 Mar 3, 2010 1:22 PM
Fluffypillows wrote:
.However, most of the reviews have been for plush or pillowtop models which start to sag, which I can't really blame on the manufacturer

Why can't you blame the manufacturer?

Manufacturers could make mattresses that don't sag if they gave a darn about doing so.

I'm just a layman but I too have done alot of reading/research about mattresses and the impression I get from the sum total of that, is that PU foam mattresses alway feels good at first, which is why people buy them in the first place..but then turn to crap shortly thereafter.

It seems that you are thinking to do the same thing, by applying your initial good feeling as a heavy influence affecting your decision to purchase it.  IMO that is really faulty logic to apply. IMO feeling good for 6 months or whatnot won't be worth the tradeoff when you hate your mattress after that and are kicking yourself for not having made a better purchasing decision.

Therefore, IMO you should do what other people here have told me to do:  go with latex instead.   

Disclaimer: I really hate when consumers get ripped-off by shady companies and in my perception, that is what most companies are doing by making crappy PU foam mattresses.  Hence, I am vehemently biased against PU foam mattresses. 

Reply #6 Mar 3, 2010 2:42 PM
I could go with their Regency model which has 3/4 inch of PU foam and 1.25 inches of high-density foam. Also the springs would be softer since they are 14 gauge. Is this more advisable?

Recent Posts