Oh Man you wont believe it...My story continues
Aug 19, 2010 12:08 PM
Bought Stearns/Foster/Costco based on reviews, after two nights the left side of my body goes numb, I think it elevates my legs, too firm or whatever...But as it is Costco, return isnt an issue.

Here is my question, I stay in hotels like 4 Seasons/Fairmont/Sheraton/W  etc., they usually have pillow top spring mattresses and they sell them, as you know.  How is it they can have a pillow top Sealy or Serta mattress, have the room occupied everyday almost, and that mattress that is probably atleast a year old maybe 2, doesnt hurt my back at all...Doesnt have impressions in it like you hear everyone complain about...

I have slept in hotels all around the country in the past 5 months, not one morning of waking in pain, I get home and i am in pain no matter what mattress i have and  i have had several....darnit

I just dont get it, in the past 5 months, 5 different hotels and 5 different pillow top beds and all wonderful...

Re: Oh Man you wont believe it...My story continues
Reply #1 Aug 19, 2010 12:32 PM
I came very very close to buying the Hampton Inn mattress before I ended up going the latex route.    The Hampton Inn mattress is still on sale via their web site....though they give very few details about its construction.  It's made by Serta.   The only issues I had were: 1) No returns    and  2) How do you know you are getting the EXACT same bed as in the hotels?
Reply #2 Aug 19, 2010 1:33 PM
I bought it once, sold it too soon, coulda worked for me...I just moved the serta back into the room, it sleeps hot even though it is a spring mattress, they put foam in it...i am trying these sheets we bought at costco per someone here, supposed to lower temp...this isnt fun anymore 
Reply #3 Aug 19, 2010 1:39 PM
They must make them better for the hotels.  Better foam, etc.  The nice hotels don't want their customers complaining about how bad the mattresses are, and they need them to last a long time.  Question is, why don't they make it easier for the public to buy the same thing?  They are probably expensive.  I guess most people want something that is cheaper, and then they are stuck with it. 
Reply #4 Aug 19, 2010 5:09 PM
My understanding is that better hotels replace their mattresses very frequently and it is unlikely you would be sleeping on anything older than 2 years, more likely 12-18 months.  And remember, hotels do not have 100% occupancy rates (otherwise we'd all be smart and own hotels and get rich), so the mattress are not being slept on nightly.
Reply #5 Aug 22, 2010 2:40 PM
Several of us "longer termers"  (thinking JImsocal and sandman too)... have had any bed but mine syndrome.

I still pretty much have it after 20 mattresses($5k+ and many exchanges for actual slept on it at home experiences) and 100 topper combos of all kinds, sleep better for one night on hotel mattress in a wide price point from cheapies on up.  I couldn't get warm fuzzy confirmation from any hotel "THIS IS THE BED" you slept on and you can buy it from here.... kind of conifidence to add another $1000+ for just the mattress to my list of 20.

Doesn't say a lot for the mattress industry, does it?

I think I am narrowing down what will ultimately work for me :relatively thin (2-3 inches max)  layer of quite soft latex (have 14 ILD from Sleep like a bear will arrive any day to go on top of 20 ILD from foambymail.com )  over a "firm base".  The firm base now is a SERTA Perfect sleeper Auburn Firm.  Rumor has it that linked continuous coil is better support for lower back.  If I can get closer on the top layer, I may replace the mattress with a base of firmer Latex for a "permanent" solution.

My problem is sensitive shoulder and hip, no muscle left on my skinny 60 year old frame... coupled with "flipperitis" of back and side sleep, and lower back pain.

Memory foam is supposed to be best for pressure points... but runs hot, does not support lower back (my back senses "falling in a hole" and tries to hold me up... hurts like hell in the morning.) 

Even 20  ILD latex from Foambymail.com feels "too firm" to me.

Flobeds has the only convoluted latex topper, and I don't think they will selll it without their $2k mattress,  if the 14 ILD from Sleeplikeabear.com isn't soft enough.

I tried to find "soft poly foam of the softness and quality that the manufacturers have available to them and absolutely cannot find it anywhere.  Tried "supersoft foam" from Foamdistributing.co, Foambymail.com's Poly branch website and it is no sofer than the 20 ILD latex from FBM, so no improvement for me.  Good quality, but not "super soft."

If one or more inches of 14 ILD don't work for me on top of 1 inch of 20 ILD over "really firm mattress", I don't know what I will do. 

I will report my results here, soon on that.

Good luck.

shovel99

Reply #6 Aug 23, 2010 2:38 PM
I personally think that it is more than just the springs and foam that make the difference.  I, too, have had the mulitple bed syndrome, and spent more than you have overall, if I were to tally it up.  Hotel mattresses can be wonderful.  I posted this before, but I had been sleeping on a newer mattress(husband picked this one out) by a smaller mattress company with good reputation in So. Cal, which had pocket coils, and had already been re-foamed by another bed maker(per me).  Still had back pain.  Chronic.   Caused me to barely be able to move in the am, low back siezed up pretty much all the time.  Went out of town to the Brown's Hotel and Spa in Denver and wow what a mattress!  First night back 70% improved, next night back 100% healed, and last night pure heaven.  I wanted to take the darn thing home with me.  I did look at the tag and it was 5 years old!  Asked at the front desk and they said Sealey, similar bed $5K.  So came home, ripped up our bed that night(no way was I going throug that pain again!), and messed with the foam. I then did some sleuting to find out what was in that wonderful hotel bed.  Found out it had offset coils, and a coil boxspring, some padding but not pillowtop.  Finally had a bed made the old fashioned way, with cotton batting, insulator layers, and offset coils, springs in the box, and happy with it.  Only thing I did not do was get the duvet style so I could easily take the foam in and replace.  Been sleeping on it nearly two years now and still pretty happy.  P/U foam top, about 4".  Took awhile for the bed to soften up a bit initially, but got good and lasted.  Personally I think it is more because the springs are good, the cotton is good, and the foam is quality...plus not that much of it.  The new beds have so many layers of stuff...more is NOT better!

May still take it back to change to duvet style...

Recommend Better Bed Fresno.   Only place I know to get what you want made the way it shoudl be at a reasonable price!

Kait

This message was modified Aug 23, 2010 by Kait
Thanks Kait for your insight!
Reply #7 Aug 25, 2010 8:21 AM
Shovel99 - Paul

Recent Posts