Offgassing half-life for regular spring mattresses?
Nov 28, 2013 2:22 PM
I finally found a spring mattress that is comfortable. It's a new Simmons Beautysleep. It's got some foam on the springs but not much, maybe 2". There also may be foam encasing the coils inside it.

The darned thing is out-gassing so badly I can't even have it in the house (I live in a studio apartment.) I believe it's mostly the flame retardants these things are dipped in these days (plus maybe the foam.) Right now it's out on the porch and I'm staying elsewhere.

I aired it out for 7 days and it was better but it was still messing with my nervous system so I aired it out for another 3 days. This time there was no further improvement. It could be because the temperature outdoors where it was airing out had gone seasonally from about 70 degrees to 40 degrees or it could be because it just won't out gas any further. It is still intolerable to me as I am chemically sensitive to formaldehydes and VOCs.

- I just read that flame retardants don't off-gas. Is this true? 

- And now that it is 35 degrees outdoors, will the foam and/or flame retardants off-gas at that low a temperature on my porch?

- Is there anything I can do to quicken this process or make my mattress useable?

thank you.

This message was modified Nov 28, 2013 by lookingnow
Re: Offgassing half-life for regular spring mattresses?
Reply #1 Nov 29, 2013 10:39 AM
Those fire retardants stink for sure. It just takes time. My neighbor just left his new bed in his garage for a week and that did the trick. I'm not sure how temp will affect things but outside at any temp is better than inside if you are very sensitive. 
Reply #2 Dec 14, 2013 12:03 PM
So it's the fire retardants that stink? I was thinking of buying a Simmons Beautyrest Pillowtop and hated my Tempur-Pedic smell for the first 5 months! I want a mattress that doesn't stink and give me a headache!
Reply #3 Dec 23, 2013 7:29 AM
Lookingnow.

How long did it take for the smell to go away?  The smell does go away eventually. With a sensitive nose it will obviously stick around longer. 

Reply #4 Dec 28, 2013 9:05 PM
First off, I can't find how to subscribe to threads on this board. Suggestions anyone?

i have learned a lot in the past weeks about the safety of fire retardents etc. Bottom line is, they're filled with formaldehyde, VOCs and other cancer-causing chemicals. Dr. Oz happened to do a show on it the other day (which is NOT where I did my research but I say this to point out the growing outcry against them. He says he is not comfortable having his family around these FRs.) 

laws will change soon but NOT for mattresses...that may take years. FRs will probably sooner no longer required in other products.

My Simmons Beautysleep was outside for about a month. The first 48 hours helped a lot but the odor (to me) was still so overpowering that I had to put it outside for another 3 weeks and it has not continued to offgass. I have to get rid of it. 

The other problem is that as the foam breaks down that also offgasses. Also the coils are foam encased! So forget it...it's outta here.

if you can afford it, get natural latex! For me, I'm using an old, off-gassed twin bed from my parents' summer house that is still supportive (it was firm to begin with) and trying to find an affordable 2" or 3" of natural latex as a topper. 

This message was modified Dec 28, 2013 by lookingnow

Recent Posts