Nursing myself back to feeling better
Nov 4, 2009 4:05 PM
Hello everyone,

First of all I want to apologize in advance, because I'm sure what I am going to ask has been discussed a myriad of times on various forum posts. It's not that I haven't been reading through past posts, I have really :), it's just that people start talking numbers, or this and that, and I am having a difficult time time understanding just what everyone is talking about. So if some kind soul wouldn't mind taking the time to go back to basics for me, and possible briefly go over the different types of mattresses, maybe a recommendation on at least the material that might be best for me I would sincerely appreciate it!

The Scenario~

I am a Registered Nurse in a very busy Emergency Department. The hours that I work are 3:00pm to 3:30am. As you can imagine, not only do I work long shifts, but the kind of work that I do is physically and mentally demanding. By the time that I get home and get settled into bed its about 4:30am. Now due to my crazy work and schedule when I do go to sleep, I sleep like a rock with minimal tossing or turning (or so we think.... hubby works the same hours). So when I wake up after 7-8hours of sleep you would think I am completely rested right? Wrong! EVERY day I wake up I feel like a train hit me. My joints ache, I frequently have at least one limb numb and tingling, the side that I was lying on, the shoulder feels like it has been struck repeatedly with a baseball bat etc, etc... I honestly can't remember that last time I woke up feeling good, it's pretty sad actually. Because I have noticed in other posts people post their stats, I will add mine for the sake of completion ~ I am 5'6 about 175lbs and my husband is 6'1 about 210lbs.

The Mattress~

Due to some frequent relocation issues, I'm ashamed to say our mattress is not the best quality... The mattress itself is probably about 6 years old, although, we have only been sleeping on it for about 2.5 years. It's a fairly cheap, no name brand that does not appear to be sagging. We bought a 4" memory foam topper about 1.5 years ago to put on it and it seems comfy enough. It's obviously just a classic spring model.

The Extras~

There are just a couple of other extras I feel might be worth mentioning. I have an extremely hard time sleeping ANYWHERE that isn't my own bed. It's makes vacations a nightmare and trips to see the family almost non existent. I have difficulty with pillows... sometime sleeping with one makes me sleep better, other times it kills my neck. Ditto with multiple pillows. I have tried foam wedges, down pillows, even buckwheat with no relief. I also have a large problem with temperature control. I am always hot... even in the middle of winter when the heater is at full blast for the rest of the family, I have to have a cool mist humidifier on me at all times with the ceiling fan going non stop. As you can imagine in the summer It's even worse. I would like to maybe get a material that might help that as well.

If anyone would be willing to help at least point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. I was kind of hoping to remain in the area of $1500-$2000 and due to my sleigh bed frame, stay in Queen size. Thank you so much in advance for all your words of wisdom... I thank you, my family thanks you, and I'm sure my patients would thank you as well. :)
Re: Nursing myself back to feeling better
Reply #1 Nov 4, 2009 4:32 PM
Hi there,

I would look into a Tempurpedic or a latex bed.  You can go right onto the Tempurpedic website to read about them, but personally I wouldn't go for anything lower than a Rhapsody.

Or, you could look into a latex bed.  Latex beds are made from rubber sap taken from a rubber tree (much like maple syrup from a maple tree).

Latex and memory foam (tempurpedic) products have what is called an open cell construction.  This means that when pressure is put on the bed, the air whooshes out of those cells and into adjoining cells.  What this means is that when you lie on the bed, the latex or memory foam will conform to your body, providing pressure relief, which I am sure your current bed does not. 

As to latex vs. memory foam, both are great products that have a different feel. 

With memory foam, when you press your hand into the mattress, it will retain the impression (thus "memory" foam).  When you lie on a memory foam mattress, the mattress responds to your body heat and molds itself to you.  You may have a feeling of "sinking into" the mattress.

With latex, the material will also conform to your body without creating pressure points, but latex does not retain the "memory" of your body shape.  Press your hand into a piece of latex and it will compress.  Remove your hand and the latex will bounce right back.  So, latex is springier, or bouncier.

As to what *kind* of memory foam or latex mattress to get, some people buy memory foam mattresses that are not the Tempurpedic brand.  Some people are happy with them.  But the general consensus is that Tempurpedic's proprietary memory foam is the best going in the industry.  Other memory foams do not share the same durability. 

With latex, if you decide to go that route, I would recommend that you go with a company that makes a 100% latex bed.  All of the big "S" mattress companies have jumped on the latex bandwagon, but their beds have some latex surrounded by foam.  They will not be durable.  A 100% latex mattress is just that - latex with a mattress cover, usually cotton with a wool batting (wool being a natural fire retardant).

One of the benefits of buying a latex bed is that you can customize the firmness.  For example, my latex bed from Flobeds has four layers - three, 3" pieces of latex, with a 2" soft convoluted latex topper.  Based on your height, weight, and sleeping position, a place like Flobeds will recommend what firmnesses to start off with in your bed.  Then, you have the option to exchange layers of latex to fine tune a comfortable bed for you.  To make things even better, you can custom order the layers for each side of the bed so that you and your spouse can each customize the comfort level of your bed.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to try out a 100% latex bed in person, like you can with Tempurpedic beds.  There are just not many 100% latex beds in traditional mattress stores.  However, you may be able to get a *sense* for how they feel by going to a traditional mattress store and trying out a so-called latex bed by one of the big "S" companies.

On the bright side, the better latex mattress firms will offer you a 30-90 day guarantee, during which time you can exchange layers to make your mattress firmer or softer, or return the bed entirely for a refund.

Some companies to look at might be:

Flobeds
Sleepez
Sleeplikeabear
Savvyrest

At this point, I wouldn't start fretting about whether to get Dunlop vs. Talalay processed latex, or worry about "ILDs".  I would do some reading online by searching under latex mattresses, go try out some tempurpedic mattresses, and get a sense for which direction you want to go.  Then I would phone up one or more of these companies and talk with them about your situation and see what they suggest.
Reply #2 Nov 5, 2009 12:51 AM
Thank you so much for that informative reply!!!  It helped a ton. I agree our next step is to go try out the "feel" of the beds. There is a lot more research in this than I had ever imagined. Thank you so much for shaving off some time. :)
Reply #3 Nov 5, 2009 9:31 AM
kgarriott wrote:
I also have a large problem with temperature control. I am always hot...

I'd stay away from memory foam if I were trying to find a cooler sleeping environment. I haven't tried it, but a common complaint about memory foam is that it gets too hot. Latex might work better for you (as either bed or topper).

There are some newer memory foams that are advertised as being cooler, but I don't know how well, or if, they work -- check the threads here, and check reviews elsewhere online, for more info on that.

Also, some people have reported that low-thread-count cotton sheets are cooler than those with a high thread count, and some people are liking cotton/bamboo sheets and finding them to be relatively cool.

Good luck.

-Catherine
Reply #4 Nov 5, 2009 3:35 PM
It sounds to me like your bed is fine but you need the right kind of padding on top of it.  Memory foam is good for relieving pressure points, but it is like sinking into wet cement,  and 4" of it is a lot of memory foam.  I think that could very well have something to do with your sleeping hot.  Plus, when you sleep hot, you sweat, and sweat breaks down memory foam, interestingly enough. 
Four inches of foam is probably the correct amount for you, but you might want to experiment with different types and qualities on the mattress you already own.  If it is NOT sagging under you and giving you back spasms, it is probably just fine.  Who knows...maybe you lucked out and got some good springs that can last awhile.  Members like Jimsocal have gone through a lot just to get some good springs under the various foams he likes on top.  You already have a base to start with.
I'd try some latex foam, or even some polyfoam that you could buy at a foam suppliers.  Stick with 4" total foam, maybe 2" and 2" or something.  I am not saying that memory foam is bad, btw, just maybe shave off a couple of inches and perhaps use it on the underside of another foam. 
It would be so simple to just buy a new bed and have it be perfect and last for 10-20 years...but many of us have tried that simple route and have been disappointed again and again(and in my case, again and again and again.....).  Comfort is elusive, and many bedmakers aren't helping any...
Kait
Reply #5 Nov 6, 2009 2:42 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
Hi there,

I would look into a Tempurpedic or a latex bed.  You can go right onto the Tempurpedic website to read about them, but personally I wouldn't go for anything lower than a Rhapsody.

I have seen this stated several times here, why are folks against the less priced tempurpedics?

The rhapsody is the one I am getting, but I am curious.
Reply #6 Nov 7, 2009 4:07 PM
The reason I am against the lower priced ones is two fold - first, I they are thinner and I didn't find they offered enough support.  Second, they were too soft.  I just have strong reservations about how well they'd hold up.  Thirdly, I suppose, some of the less expensive ones don't have the convoluted base layers that supposedly help in dissipating the heat buildup that can occur with memory foam.

Recent Posts