New and overwhelmed
Oct 14, 2012 12:33 AM
I've had my current mattress for ten years.  There is now a me-shaped dip in the middle, and I'm waking up with an aching lower back.  I know it's time to pull the trigger, and I've been shopping around and taking notes.  Before discovering this forum I had no idea about coil counts and such...didn't even think to ask about that sort of thing. 

That said, I need a new bed, my time is limited, and I can't afford to go to a zillion different stores and ask about coil counts.  I like a soft bed, but this forum has bad things to say about pillow tops wearing out too fast.  I've also figured out that it's best to stay away from the sort of memory foam beds I can afford (Tempurpedic and iComfort are beyond me).  I found a bed by Southerland that's an innerspring with a latex foam topper, just within my budget...any word on this brand?  The bed model is called the Amelia Super Pillow Top, but I know that names can vary from store to store.  This is one of those local chain shops, apparently "family owned," but what isn't? 

Gah.  I just want a comfortable new bed that won't wear out in two years!  I wish this weren't so complicated and frustrating.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Re: New and overwhelmed
Reply #1 Oct 15, 2012 12:14 PM
Hmm, no replies yet.  Maybe this will help?  I just want to know how much of this is worthwhile.  Memory foam, latex foam, individually wrapped coils, "comfort layers"...are those just gimmicks?  What do the pros here think?

If it matters at all, here are the specs on the actual bed I tried, from a third-party retailer's site (not the same place I shopped):

THE AMELIA SUPER PILLOW TOP
Handcrafted in the USA by the Employee Owners of Southerland.
• QUILT.
A non-toxic fire retardant barrier quilted
with two layers of Supersoft Luxury Foam
for maximum comfort.
• UPHOLSTERY.
A Latex Foam Inlay with two full panel
layers of HD Luxury Foamfor
pressure relief and spinal support.
• COIL UNIT.
744 Foam Encased Zoned Wrapped Coils that
adjust spontaneously to your sleep movements.
T - 435 / F - 609 / Q - 744 / K - 930
• EDGE SUPPORT.
Ultra foam encasement for
added support and edge firmness.
• FOUNDATION.
The 9” House Foundation
Wood Support System.

If it seems like I've already made up my mind, trust me, I haven't.  I liked the bed in the store, but dread the thought of it sagging within six months.  My current mattress lasted eight years!  Little help?

Reply #2 Oct 17, 2012 12:40 PM
Here is the basic thing to be aware of.   Almost any non latex comfort foam will sag over time, sometimes fairly quickly.   High density memory foam (like tempurpedic) can hold up pretty , but it is softer than most latex.  So, using too much memory foam can be a problem for some people who need a firm mattress.  Also, firm higher density base foams (not the comfort layer) can be okay.

Almost everything that says pillowtop has some of the cheap foam that will sag.  So, unless you know exactly what the foam is, I would be leery (like the "supersoft luxury foam" is the mattress you describe).

So, if you want coils, it is best to have latex on top of the coils for comfort.  Almost anything else will end up being a problem.

It is best to get the exact specs off all of the foam that is above the coils.  If the description is vague and the mattress is not that expensive, that foam is probably junk. 

I have a fairly new Sealy that had a bunch of junk foam.  I cut it out and replaced it with 4" of latex and 1" of high density memory foam.  It is much better.

This message was modified Oct 17, 2012 by sandman
Reply #3 Oct 17, 2012 3:09 PM
Hi,

Avoid pillowtops. Look into the Amelia Firm or the Amelia Luxury. They are 1.5 inches shorter than the Amelia super pillowtop, that much less fluff to compact over a couple of years. If they feel too hard, then get a latex topper (pricey) or a cheap foam topper you will have to replace more often. Sadly, mattresses are made so they can lose support when you are in them, but still not have indentations when no one is one them, so the warranty doesn't help much.

I think that the innerspring on the Amelia's is a pretty good one. This website has some info about them:

http://www.adreamers.com/Products.html    click on the American Excellence tab to see the Amelia's.

Reply #4 Oct 17, 2012 3:10 PM
also, you should mention your weight and height to get the best advice
Reply #5 Oct 17, 2012 11:08 PM
mattresshound wrote:

also, you should mention your weight and height to get the best advice

5'8", 122 pounds.  I also have pain in my lower back and hips, if that makes a difference, and I'm a side sleeper.  Thanks so much for the advice. 

Re: latex, I tried lying on a Dr. Breus mattress in a store, and it didn't do much for me--felt too firm.  I also unfortunately have a limited budget.  I'd love to be able to spend $2000+ for a top of the line mattress, but it's just not possible for me.  I can't really go above $1100.  I'm hoping I can get something decent for that price.

Reply #6 Oct 19, 2012 8:41 PM
You are really light so you are not going to be wearing a mattress out like many people. However you can see how your current mattress deteriorated. The Amelia's probably dont have much latex in them, maybe an inch, and the supersoft pillowtop is bound to be just creap polyfoam whihc is what you want to avoid. But they may be local to you and I think the spring unit is a good one. You should try to find out the coil gauge. 14.5 gauge would be the max you should consider for longevity, preferably less. But then the bed is pretty firm. Thats ok because you can always soften it with a topper. You can't easily firm it up.

Re latex: I was talking about about latex as one component in an innerspring mattress, or as a 2-3 inch topper you buy separately to make a firm mattress more comfortable. That is often the best way to go, rather than get an initially comfy pillowtop that probably won't last more that about 3 years. Of course it depends on weight etc. You can also get a cheaper topper too. These toppers keep some heat and moisture from the mattress thereby helping it to last longer.

I personally feel that firm mattresses are good for my lower back pain.

Did you look into the Ameria Firm or Luxury Firm?

This message was modified Oct 19, 2012 by mattresshound
Reply #7 Oct 20, 2012 5:58 PM
mattresshound wrote:

I personally feel that firm mattresses are good for my lower back pain.

Did you look into the Ameria Firm or Luxury Firm?

No, I actually just bought a Simmons from a local place that just had its grand opening and was offering specials that compared well to other shops in the area.  (Of course after I bought it, I saw a post on this site about how crappy Simmons coils are.  Here's hoping I won't wear them out too soon.) 

I remembered what everybody here said about buying a firm mattress and adding a topper if necessary.  The manager had been selling mattresses for years and seemed knowledgeable; I told him I wanted a firm innerspring with the least amount of foam crap stuffed into it.  So he showed me one, explained how it compared to other models in the shop, and after I lay on it for a while I decided I really liked it.  It was just delivered today.

I really hope I like it.  I'm so tired of waking up in pain from my old one.  

Recent Posts