New & desperately need advice re: adding layers on top of painfully firm Beautyrest
Jul 6, 2011 5:15 PM
I'm a newbie and am desperate.  My husband and I are now on our 3rd mattress from Macy's, and we get no more preference changes. We first had Simmons Beautyrest Black, which had poor quality memory foams that provided no support whatsoever, and our backs hurt because we sank too much.  (We do NOT recommend the Beautyrest Black!). On our third, and final, selection, we went with a Simmons Beautyrest Elderberry Tight Top Firm, even though the saleswoman said we'd need a topper b/c it is so firm.  She was right.  Alone, it is like sleeping on concrete, so it ends up being like a box spring.  (It has no give even if we jump on it). 

We initially added a 1.5" geo cut "Memory Foam Bed Topper by Beautyrest" that I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  It was too soft of a topper anyway, and did nothing to lessen our discomfort.

I then found this forum, and based on something I'd read here, I ordered the 1.5" Bryland Home 1.5" topper.  I have no idea what ILD it might be, as Brylane doesn't address that.  We placed it on top of the memory foam topper.  That helped a lot, but my husband and I still wake up stiff and achy.  I think we are bottoming out on the too-firm mattress below.  We are both heavy (Hubby is 235 and I am 185). 

This past weekend, I slept at my brother's house on his Denver Mattress ASPEN, which I understand to be a Talalay latex.  No pain, no sleepiness, and I could bend over in the mornings. My shoulders and hips felt cushioned as I sank in the mattress, but it felt boyant at the same time and supported my low back so that I stayed in spinal alignment.  I want to feel that way every night and every morning.  But we've spent so much money thus far that we can't simply order a new mattress.  (We'd also purchased a pricey adjustable base for almost $3000, plus the $1200 Simmons mattress and the two toppers). 

Do I need an intermediate layer that is Medium as a transition between the super firm and the cushion on top to keep from bottoming out?  If so, should that be 2" or 3"?  If I had to guess, I have enough cushion on top, but nothing other than cushion on top and painfully firm on the bottom.

Does it sound logical to go with a 32 ILD or a different ILD as a middle layer under the two toppers?  Something different?  What thickness should we select? 

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.  I've been up since 3:45 this morning, because I couldn't stay in bed any longer. I really want my life back. 

Thanks!

Re: New & desperately need advice re: adding layers on top of painfully firm Beautyrest
Reply #1 Jul 6, 2011 9:06 PM
Wow, to say I feel bad that you guys have suffered so much trying to make a matress/bed decission doesn't cover it.crying

Like you I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find nirvana for a mattress. I don't know if we made the proper decision or not. Time will tell as we decided on a Dr Dreus bed. It should be delivered this weekend. While I know the mattress isn't a true latex (has layers of other foam types) I'm  hoping we made a good decision. Gone are the days of being able to make a simple decision on bedding. They need to know if you're a back sleeper, side sleeper, or stomach sleeper. Also, height and weight make a big difference. Also ht fact that many couples have distinct requirements for how a mattress should feel.

I wish you the best and hope that you get your problems resolved shortly.

Re: New & desperately need advice re: adding layers on top of painfully firm Beautyrest
Reply #2 Jul 8, 2011 11:43 PM
I'd try 1-2" of 28ILD Talalay and 1" of 18-22ILD Talalay on top of that.
And do NOT jump on your mattress! ;-D
Reply #3 Jul 20, 2011 8:30 PM
I have the same issue which I addressed with a 3' Rejuvenite Mattress Topper.  The one I purchased after to the on-line person is the 28 ILD which they recommended because I weigh over 220#'s.  I find this to be too hard and wished that I bought the plush 19 ILD which at 3" should give you all the support you need if you place it over the memory foam toppers you already have.  Good Luck and byw, the best deal I found was at shop.choicerest.com

Recent Posts