Need recommendations on extra firm inner-spring mattress
Dec 16, 2012 11:19 AM
Like so many others here, we are on the difficult quest for our perfect mattress. We want a very firm traditional inner-spring mattress with minimal foam padding.

I have slept on beds when traveling in Europe, which seem to be a completely different design, that seem very hard at first.But I sleep great on them, and my back feels the best it ever does afterward. The European mattresses all seemed to be single layer, with no box spring, and I haven't seen anything like these in the States. But we have tried a bunch of beds in stores, and have found a couple that we like, and would be interested in any feedback or suggestions.

We keep going back to a Stearns & Foster Ultra Firm that goes by a bunch of different names. It feels nice and solid. But for a king it's around $2300, which is a big chunk of dough, especially if it doesn't last too long. I am a big (6'2" 250 lb.) guy that seems to be tough on mattresses. So durability is very important.

Another we saw at City Mattress here in Western New York is their own house brand, which is made by an outfit called Sleep Logic out of Cleveland. It was the last one they showed us, I guess because the salespeople don't make as much money on it. They call it the Chiro Sense line, and claim they have been carrying it for 30 years and that it's very good quality. It felt very good and firm, maybe not quite as nice as the S&F, but too hard to tell in a quick showroom test. The price was better: a king was $1500.

Any feedback on these models, or other recommendations? We don't mind a smaller or local company, if it's good. We also don't mind ordering online.

Thanks for any help!

David

Re: Need recommendations on extra firm inner-spring mattress
Reply #1 Dec 16, 2012 10:41 PM
WJ Southard out of Syracuse makes a great innerspring.
Re: Need recommendations on extra firm inner-spring mattress
Reply #2 Dec 17, 2012 10:39 AM
If you really want the S&F bed and are shopping at mattress chain outlets, believe me, you don't need to pay that price. I bought a S&F set and the pricetag said $2500$

After some haggling I got it for 1100$.  Throw an offer out, and when you reach the price you want to pay, don't budge. The worst that can happen is that you're refused but these days not many salespeople are willing to let a customer walk out the door.

Recent Posts