Need pointed in the right direction
Oct 12, 2010 9:27 PM
My current mattress is about 10 years old and is probably due for repalcedment.  I have a hard time sleeping sometimes, and don't always wake up refreshed.

So I visited a mattress store yesterday and spent about an hour trying just about every bed in the joint.  The one I liked the best was the low end Stearns & Foster in a plush.  Unfortunately, it was out of my price range.  The salesman brought down the price about 25% by using a "clearance" box spring, but I didn't give in.  I probably would have had he thrown in free delivery.  Decided to "sleep on it."

I had read a little bit before going to the store, and was trying to look for stuff like the number of coils and gauge of steel.  They didn't have much of that info.  I tried the Tempurpedic bed and thought it was nice, but out of my price range.  They had a few latex floor models for 50% off.  There was one that I liked that seemed a little firmer than the rest, and I think I could have been happy with it.  I liked the individual coils the best, but maybe I'm not used to latex or foam?

Anyways, I got home and started researching and found that the three-S's are frowned upon and basically scratched them off!  I've read through here and found recommendations to search for local mattress companies.  I found a few:

http://www.bowlesmattress.com/html/crown.htm http://indianamattresscompany.com/default.aspx http://www.holdermattress.com/ http://www.holderbedding.net/index.html

I can get to the places that carry those beds.. Should I try to find the firmest matress I can and buy toppers?  My initial thinking is a firm mattress from a local shop and getting the 2.5" memory foam topper from Sam's club - staying local in case I'm unhappy.  Find the lowest gauge steel?  Bonnell springs, or open?

I've read about the DIY mattress.. like FBM stuff.  That's not entirely unappealing.  Doing surgery is unappealing though, because I'm a litle clumsy ;) I'd run in to the problem of a foundation (I have a headboard, footboard, and side rails I'd like to keep) with the DIY stuff.  It's kinda scary for me to go this route since I can't try the foam or latex before I buy. I don't want to be completely stuck.

I'm 6'4" and about 240.. so a big guy. I sleep on my back and side.  Anyone care to poke me in a certain direction for further researching?  I'm (more than) a little confused right now.

Re: Need pointed in the right direction
Reply #39 Oct 16, 2010 5:37 PM
If you have an OMF near you, then I would say your problem is solved. They would almost certainly have something that would suit you and you can be reasonably certain that you would be getting good value no matter what you bought. The only real issue would be getting a bed that fit your needs and that should be far less difficult given what you have read here. I would get the highest quality you can comfortably afford. I believe that there is good value in their entire line ... even though I wouldn't buy some of them for reasons that you already know.

Even their top of the line 2 sided latex supreme in a queen is only $1339.

You would either have the choice of buying something there (assuming they really do have something that "fits" you) or you could take careful notes of the "best" matress they have for your purposes and then duplicate it from another supplier. You may save a bit of money but you would be buying something that had a little more uncertainty and risk attached to it.

I would call them first and have a good long conversation with them and narrow your choices down to a few before you go ... but I would certainly go.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 16, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #40 Oct 16, 2010 8:06 PM
Honestly, now that I think about it, I don't feel like driving half way across the state and then dealing with whatever shipping charge from OMF.  I look at their site and what I read doesn't convince me that they are any better than any of the other people I've checked out.  Maybe I don't understand what I'm reading?  I know they have good reviews, but just feeling the different spring styles makes me hesitant to buy a spring mattress w/o trying it.

I wish companies were more honest and forthcoming with details.  Just list out a spec sheet of what I'm buying.  I'm a computer guy and wouldn't buy a computer without knowing the megahertz and gigabytes.  Pretty annoying.  At each of these places it's felt like I was pulling teeth when trying to get info on the mattresses.

Maybe I just need to change directions and focus on the latex route?  Pick a foundation, and start ordering pieces of latex?  I liked the feeling of the latex / foam bed, so maybe I need to direct my energy that way?  I don't feel like I'm grasping what exactly makes a good innerspring mattress.  That Spectra mattress would probably make me happy, so I guess the issue of longevity is the one that would need addressed. 

The premade beds don't seem to be in my budget, and exceeding it by 40%, like the one from OMF, is not too appealing.

I did try a 4lb memory foam at Walls and now know that I don't like that.

Part of what has really pushed me along is that I woke up a couple weeks ago barely able to move.  My back was just SOO stiff that putting something in the trashcan hurt.  I'm not a frequent sufferer of back pain, so that was a shocker to me. I could "feel" my lower back on one of the mattresses I was laying on today so I knew that it wasn't the one.

Phoenix, I saw you mention LatexMattressShop in another thread.  That's a new one for me so far and their product looks reasonably priced to me... Hmmmm....

And now that I look, Furniture Row has a shop in Lafayette, which isn't all that far away for a Sunday trip.

This message was modified Oct 16, 2010 by perryw
Reply #41 Oct 17, 2010 12:47 AM
The aspen could very well be a good fit. The 1" of foam under the latex in the snowmass is not a "cardinal sin" as it would have been within my rule of no more than 1" in the comfort layers and the fact that it is under the latex is better than having it on top (imo). Since it is probably softer than the latex, it will allow the latex to conform in a more "rounded" way. I think the main issue with this bed would be finding out it the density of the 4" latex layer underneath them would be supportive in the "right way" for you.

The 1.8 density foam on the bottom should present no problem as this would not be getting repeatedly compressed in the same way as a layer on top. It would play a similar role to a 1.8 lb polyfoam as a support layer under memory foam except with the latex above it it would not play as important a role as it would if there was only memory foam above it.

The one that I posted from OMF was only to point out their most expensive mattress. Their 9" version in a queen is $979 ... plus shipping of course.

I didn't talk to OMF about any of their other beds besides the all latex but I agree their specs are too general in many cases. It may be worth a phone call to see if they have (or would build) latex on top of springs.

I also had a hard time in my narrowing down process getting away from the one at latexmattressshop. It just looked so darn comfortable and it "felt" like it could be really nice. The fact that it was dunlop was made up for (for me) by the fact that it was zoned and that with the quilting and 2" layer and the choice of comfort level (and the price) it could have been great. It was one of the last few I eliminated.

I think that the biggest problem with polyfoam and the reason I had such a firm rule about it was that it was just too likely that it's qualities (comfort and ability to support) would deteriorate way too quickly. If I'm going to spend $1000 or more, I want to have a reasonable expectation that what is perfect at the beginning would still be perfect 1 or 2 or 3 years down the road. While some types of poly can be long lasting, I just didn't trust the material as much as a known quantity like latex. This is compounded by the incredible lack of accurate information out there and I couldn't agree more with your sentiments here. The bed we sleep in is so much more important than many people believe and in many cases it takes a long time to "wake up" to the fact that some of our problems are related to the mattress we are sleeping on (fatigue, pain, numbness etc).

It's ironic in a way that often those who are less "involved" in the makeup of their bed seem to be more accepting of it's flaws where those of us who are looking to reach closer to 100% become much more critical and aware of differences that we would otherwise probably just accept.

In any case, everything you do ... and every new frustration ... gets you closer to understanding and then finding what is perfect for you. None of it is wasted once you find your perfect fit.

Phoenix

Reply #42 Oct 17, 2010 2:15 PM
I went looking at The Room Place today, mainly because they are listed as retailer on Dormia.com's site (a latex mattress maker I found through Google).  What a huge disappointment, partially because they didn't have any Dormia products, but mainly because the guy helping me didn't know anything! 

He showed me three Simmons Natural Care mattresses.  I asked if they were entirely made of latex and he told me they were.    There was one of the little construction cutouts by the $1800 mattress, and at the bottom was a 2" lay of foam -- clearly NOT latex all the way through!  There was one for $1500 and one for $1800 and I asked him the differences between them a couple times.  All he could tell me was that the foam densities were different.  I asked him for numbers, said I was a computer guy and wanted to see, and he said "Hang on a second" and walked off.  That was encouraging.  Came back a minute later empty handed and said someone else had a question for him.  That left me dumbfounded.  Of course, they all come with free 32" HDTV's -- I can give that away for Xmas since I have enough TV's he said. 

Now that I get home, the $1500 mattress just has an inch of latex at the top according to Simmons website - the "Model One".  The "Model Two" says it has Dunlop latex, but that construction cutaway in the store was labeled Talalay.  He mentioned the 10yr warranty.. Simmons says its a 20yr. Basically, everything he told me was wrong, almost to the point of lieing to me. He wanted to know what he could do to get me to buy today, just like a used car salesman.  Oh, he handed me his card on the way out and said he was the store manager!

I am growing to like the latex feel though. And I liked the firmer sides of the mattresses best. Don't care for memory foam.

This message was modified Oct 17, 2010 by perryw
Reply #43 Oct 17, 2010 2:48 PM
I have the stats for the Simmons natural care and even more importantly (they are almost all latex) the natural care elite. How each of these felt to you and the specific model that felt that way can lead to great information about combinations that work for you.

Using more expensive mattresses with higher quality materials in a mattress store can be an invaluable research tool in finding a much much less expensive mattress with similar qualities in a much lower budget.

They are well worth trying out along with the Serta pure response and the Sealy embody just for the information you can gain from knowing which of these fits you. This information could be very valuable in choosing a different (and much less expensive) bed with similar characteristics.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 17, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #44 Oct 17, 2010 3:20 PM
I've found the stats on the us-mattress.com site.  The "plush" side of the mattresses had 14 ILD Dunlop on the top, and the firm ones had 28 ILD.  The bottom was the same 8" of 22 ILD foam.  So, right, I could go to a one of the online places and order similar feeling, but higher quality, materials for less.  Yes, that information is great smiley
Reply #45 Oct 25, 2010 6:53 PM
I ended up purchasing a firm mattress from Holder tonight.  I really liked the feel of the soft top in the store, but after discussing things with the salesman, we figured the firm with a latex topper would be best for me. 

I told him my fears of the foam in the soft top or pillow top breaking down and my plans to put a latex topper on the firm mattress.  He didn't think that was a bad idea because I'll be able to more easily change the feel of the bed if I change in a couple years.  Actually seemed to slightly encourage me towards that direction rather than the soft top.  Maybe he was just being a good salesman and sensed that was what I wanted?  Who knows.  Also, knowing the mattress was made 60 miles away gives me a warm fuzzy feeling ;)

He quoted me $1600 to make a soft top using latex instead of foam, but was rather discouraging about it.  It was something to do with how they attach the foam / latex to the side creates a mound effect.  He said that effect is more pronounced with the latex.  They would have preferred to do a pillow top with latex in the pillow, which was something I actually tried but thought was just too soft for me.  The entire latex bed just didn't feel right to me.  I think I "need" the springs or there'd be too much of a "learning" curve for me.

Now to decide on a topper!  The topper will put me over my budget, but not as far over as a premade full latex mattress or the "custom" latex / spring mattress.

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by perryw
Reply #46 Oct 26, 2010 9:53 PM
For anyone still keeping track.. I was strongly considering changing to the soft top later last night, kinda second guessing myself.  Mainly because I feel like I'm about to get in over my head with the latex and such.  Just dealing with the chances of the soft top breaking down because I'm so frustrated with how bad my current mattress is and I know how that soft top feels.

I ended up not changing and ordered 2" of medium latex from FoamByMail and a Natura washable wool mattress pad.  I think the first couple nights may end up being on just the firm mattress, unless FBM got the latex shipped today.

Reply #47 Oct 26, 2010 10:27 PM
Well I'm still keeping track. It's always interesting how the search ends up :)

What did you end up buying from holder? I know you said it was a firm but just curious about the "specs".

I think you are much better off with the firm and a latex topper than you would be with a soft top (assuming you meant a soft top with poly and not the latex one you mentioned).

Phoenix

Reply #48 Oct 27, 2010 6:10 AM
Well, I'm not sure of the amount of foam on the top and bottom of the springs, but it's not much.  It's a flippable mattress, 13gauge coils top and bottom, 12 3/4 in the middle.  The salesman said the last one he sold was to a couple in their 80's that said they wanted a mattress one step softer than a board.  I can ask how man inches of foam top and bottom when they deliver (small company, my salesman said he'd be delivering) if you're curious. 

I definitely did not buy it because of its comfort!

Recent Posts