My final review of OvernightMattress.com and their basic mattress
May 20, 2009 4:45 PM
Four months ago I bought their basic mattress which has a 5" core of "M-Grade" foam with an ILD of 32. (Note that in one or two places on their site it may give the ILD as 41 or something like that, but this was their old core, and now they are using 32 ILD.) Then it has a memory foam topper of 2" with an ILD of 8-11 in a 4lb density. You can see the mattress and description here: http://tinyurl.com/q2vsq7

At first it was fantastic, but after a few weeks it was too soft. [At this point let me say that I have been in 3 car accidents all of which damaged my shoulder/neck area so I am a difficult customer to please with any mattress. What may seem to soften too much for me, or feel too firm, for me, may be just perfect for a "normal" person with no major back, neck or shoulder issues.)

I decided the memory foam was too soft for me so I turned the mattress over and slept on the M-grade foam.

That worked very well and I was very happy with it. Until about 3 months in when it began to feel a bit too soft. It is normal for me to occassionally have back pain or shoulder pain that is worse than usual, so I hung in there with it, thinking it may feel good again. It did not. After the 3rd month it began to feel worse and worse and so finally I made the call and talked to Vlad, their customer relations guy, about getting a Return Authorization.

He asked me a lot of questions in trying to understand what the reasons were that it did not work for me. He seemed genuninely interested in trying to understand what the problem might have been. I told him it basically just softened a bit too much for me, over time. He did ask me if I was interested in trying another model and he recommended their Aloe Vera model as being one that seemed to work for most people. But I told him that for me, even the 2" of memory foam was too soft, so more memory foam would definitely not work for me. So he accepted that and we talked a bit about various foams I had tried in the past.  In fact he spent probably 20 minutes on the phone with me and a good quarter of that time was spent with him recommending some foam to me that his company does not even sell, he was just trying to help me find a foam combination that might work for me. He was very nice and seemed to want to help me more than anything.

Since I had bought the $299 twin mattress, he said it was hardly worth it for them to send a truck out to pick it up, which is their usual method for returns. He said if I could get it into a small box, he would arrange to have FedEx pick it up. I told him I had a lot of experience with putting foam into bags and using our vacuum cleaner to compress it down to a smaller size, so that would not be a problem.

I shipped it back to them and am getting a full refund including shipping both directions for free.

You can not beat this offer!

As a company, Overnightmattress.com was a dream to deal with. Vlad was very nice and the only thing I can compare it to is flobeds in terms of customer service. But even flobeds charges you for shipping, and overnightmattress does not. And the mattress arrived very quickly. I forget exactly how long it took but I think it was only 3 days! YMMV.

If you are interested in trying M-grade foam you can buy their basic mattress which is just an M-Grade foam core, 7" thick. I think if you have your own toppers that you like, this may be the way to go. Or just buy a Sensus and/or Venus topper from overstock.com, or a latex topper if you like latex.

One thing he recommended to me was Omalon foam. Since it does not soften up like other foams (except latex) do, it might make the perfect base for me. He recommended at least 6" of this as a core for the base of the mattress. He then recommended a soft 11-12 ILD latex topper, but since I don't like latex I am interested in trying a topper of Sensus or Venus memory foam, but no more than 1-2".  But they do not sell omalon foam and I am having trouble finding a supplier for a 6-7" base of this foam.

The bottom line is, I think for many people, this basic overnightmattress.com mattress would work very well. I do think their memory foam is too soft for many. However I do like the "M-Grade" foam. It has a different feel than HR foam or any other type. It's firm yet not as firm as HR. I am not sure exactly what it is and no one seems to sell it by itself. Even my foam supplier cannot find anyone to order it from. He said he deals with both manufacturers of foam on the West Coast and neither has heard of it. It must be an East Coast thing. If anyone finds a supplier I'd be interested, although I would buy a little firmer version of it, maybe 34 ILD instead of 31 ILD.

Vlad at overnightmattress indicated to me that perhaps the reason the mattress I ordered did not work for me was that I might need a thicker core than the 5" I tried.  For me I think the issue might have been that I need a higher ILD than the 32ILD of M-Grade foam they are using, because foam does inevitably soften up (except for latex and omalon).

So there you have it. Make of all this what you will. The only thing I can say for sure is that - based on my experience - you cannot go wrong trying a mattress from overnightmattress.com.

[As usual, when I write a review such as this, I would like you to know that I receive no compensation from and do not in any way work for overnightmattress.com. I am providing this honest opinion based on my experience. Your mileage may vary.]
Re: My final review of OvernightMattress.com and their basic mattress
Reply #1 May 20, 2009 7:48 PM
Thank you very much for this update. I read your original post on overnightmattress and wondered how it worked out.

Recent Posts