Latex/Lux-HQ mattress. I year update. Good mattress for wife and I.
May 14, 2011 6:57 PM
My mattresses

(2)x4"twin x- long Foam by mail Lux-HQ(base) 112.00ea

(2)x3"twin x- long sleepeze taladay(middle) 220.00ea

(2)x2"twin x- long sleepeze taladay(top) 147.00ea

(2)xterry cloth mattress cover from foam by mail. 60.00ea

(2)x twin x- long wood frames from amazon.com 119.00ea

I constructed 2 twin x- long beds.

We started sleeping on these mattresses in March 2010.

It is now May 2011.

Initially I felt the bed was to firm. Like slepping on concrete. But after a week, or so, my body adjusted.

Now, I have no complaints. The bed sleeps fine.

From the first night wifey had no complaints, and still has none.

I go to sleep and wake up glad that I have the bed that I do.

Sleeping on a cloud? I just know that when I go to sleep it is into oblivion.

The "sleepeze taladay latex has performed as advertised, as has the "foam by mail" Hq-Lux.

No aches no pains.

Im 6'1" 200lbs(back and side sleeper). Wife is 5'4" 140lbs(stomach, back and side )

Latkat

This message was modified May 14, 2011 by Latkat
Re: Latex/Lux-HQ mattress. I year update. Good mattress for wife and I.
Reply #1 May 14, 2011 8:02 PM
Thanks for your review, Latkat! It's good to read posts like yours and see people who constructed a good solution like you did, and at such a great price!

Do you know what densities you have for those layers?

And what kind of platform are you using?

Thanks very much!

Reply #2 May 14, 2011 10:58 PM
Thanks for the review. So glad that both you and your wife are happy with the bed you put together at such a great price.   Please also share ILD's (firmness levels) of each layer if you can to help others.
Reply #3 May 27, 2011 2:27 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

I just read my original post again and was not aware that I hadnt given numbers or anything.

Sorry about that.

Top latex layer: (22-24 ILD)

Middle layer (30-32 ILD)

http://www.sleepez.com/mattresscomponents.htm

And this frame:

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Size-Nomad-Platform-Frame/dp/B0017RAPTQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306520577&sr=8-3

This frame , so far, has performed flawlessly. Very easy to assemble. Great price.

Be aware, I have the twin XL size frame. There is a bit of a construction difference in some other sizes(king, queen). Theres  a ridge down the middle that folks had to adjust for. Go through all the sizes and look at all the pictures. Read some of the reviews. The frame itself, I recommend highly.

There was also some disscussion about wether, or not, the space between the slats would support a foam bed. I dont think this is a problem. However I put a thin piece of plywood under the mattress in the butt area, just to be sure Im getting the right support. Im not sure it was  needed. The Lux foam is a very firm mat.

I hope this is helpful

Latkat

This message was modified May 27, 2011 by Latkat
Reply #4 May 28, 2011 4:55 PM
Thanks much for the report. I am curious to see how long the HQ base holds out for support in your core layer. But at $112 each this is pretty cheap to replace and so it's not a bad option since you got a good year out of it already and it may last another year or so. Please let us know if it gives out on you, or give us a report again next year, whichever comes first! I say this because I have used HR foams for a core and found they gave out after about a year. I did not use the LUX though, so it may be more durable.
Reply #5 May 28, 2011 5:07 PM
With an ILD of 50, I believe it will last 5 years easy.
Reply #6 May 30, 2011 7:17 PM
It is my intention to report back after another year. But so far there is no indication, whatsoever, that the lux foam is going to give out. It is very stiff. If you lay on it only, there is a very tiny amount plyability. I wanted to see what it would be like as a mattress by itself. But I soon gave up, as it was just to stiff for me. One would really need to crave a very stiff sleeping surface.

I lurked on this board for a considerable amount of time, as well as other places, before chosing my set up. I was very inerested in having a good bed, and at the same time wanting to spend the least to aquire it.

Thanks everyone, I've learned alot from this board.

Jim socal, your ideas about mattress surgery came as Eureka moments for me.  Probably because I hate being at someone elses mercy. It is an empowering idea. Thanks. Its even ok that I get strange looks at family meetings when I bring up the topic. Probably the same looks Id get if I announced I was going on a moon walk.

Good day all.

Recent Posts