Just bought Serta Vera Wang Latex on clearance, but its too soft!! Help!!
Jul 22, 2010 8:06 PM
I JUST bought a Serta Vera Wang Latex "Cushion Firm" mattress on clearance yesterday (7/21).  Supposedly originally priced at $3,500, I paid $1,200 for it.  It felt great in the store, but after brining it home and sleeping one night on it I realize its too soft for my personal needs.  I think I need something like a plush firm and this is more like a plush Eurotop or pillowtop, and I have disc and sciatica issues with my back, so this level of support just won't cut it.  For a person who likes a plush mattress, this thing could be a dream, but for me its now a nightmare.

Because it was on clearance I cannot make use of the exchange policy that Sleepy's offers.  So here I am stuck with a 1-day old mattress that I can't use and $1,200 worth of debt that I couldn't afford in the first place.

I'm VERY discouraged for a few reasons.  One, because I saw this amazing deal and stretched my willingness to go softer than I should have.  I'm a pretty savvy buyer but I shot myself in the foot on this one.  I bought on impulse and should have played it safe and gotten a spring bed that I could afford, and had the return policy intact.  Instead I was enamored by the fact that I was getting a $3,500 mattress at such a great price.  And two, because I explained in detail to the sales person what my back issues were, and literally begged the guy to help me please find something that will be good for me.  I put my trust in them, and despite the fact that I was going to buy a mattress from them no matter what, they somehow allowed me to walk out the door with something they probably knew wasn't right for my personal needs.

So I'm here for one of two reasons:

1.  In case anybody is looking for a mattress like this who might be interested in buying it from me.  I have the paperwork to show when I purchased it (7/21), and put a mattress cover on it right away.  This thing is flawless.  My mistake can be your gain.  I am willing to take a loss and hopefully recoup $1,000 of my $1,200, but I know its a long shot.  If you're in Massachusetts and remotely interested in this let me know and I can send pictures or talk it through.

OR

2.  Advice.  Am I screwed here, or do I have any options?

I am desperate.  My back pain is horrible.  I am getting no more than 5 hours of sleep a night and am always tired and in pain.  This was a VERY big deal to me.  I was SO excited to finally get the rest and comfort I needed and I messed up.  If there's ANYTHING that can be done for this I would be SO beyond grateful.  This is my day to day life and vitality here.  I can't afford to throw this away and buy a new one, and my old mattress is gone.

Thanks in advance for anybody willing to hear me out, or help.

Re: Just bought Serta Vera Wang Latex on clearance, but its too soft!! Help!!
Reply #1 Jul 22, 2010 8:20 PM
Sorry to hear about you problems.  A good warning to all of us about buying a non-returnable mattress.

Is it on top of a very firm foundation or box spring?  If that is not that firm, you might be able to make it firmer by putting the mattress on the floor or adding plywood over the box spring.

You may also want to try to flip it over because there may be firmer latex on the bottom and softer on the top.  If too firm, you can always soften it up with a topper (more money though).

Your best option is probably to sell.  I sold one once (barely used) on Craig's list for about 35% of the new price. 

If it is impossible to sell, then I am wondering if the layers inside are glued together?  Maybe the store or manufacture could tell you.  If not glued then maybe you could cut it open and remove a couple inches of the soft layers on top.  That may extreme, but if none of the above work, you don't have much to lose.

Good luck!

Reply #2 Jul 22, 2010 8:35 PM
Ideally I'd sell and start over, and just go a safer route and simply buy within my means, but make sure its just the right feel mattress yet still has a return policy (rather than compromising my needs to get the up scale bed with a no return or exchange policy).

The bed is one sided, you rotate, so flipping is not an option.  It is on a box spring though.  Would it truly make a difference putting ply wood between the box and mattress, even though the mattress is 12+ inches thick?

Also, the cover appears to be able to be unzippered at the base.  So there's a chance I could mess with the layers, but I just don't want to risk messing it up if there's even a remote possibility of selling it for a price I can stomach.  Maybe if I get to a point and think feel I just can't sell it maybe I'd go that route.  There is currently a 3" layer of soft talalay latex on top, then a layer of 2" medium talalay latex underneath that, than a 7" high density firm foam base.

Reply #3 Jul 22, 2010 8:59 PM
PuzzlePiece wrote:

Ideally I'd sell and start over, and just go a safer route and simply buy within my means, but make sure its just the right feel mattress yet still has a return policy (rather than compromising my needs to get the up scale bed with a no return or exchange policy).

The bed is one sided, you rotate, so flipping is not an option.  It is on a box spring though.  Would it truly make a difference putting ply wood between the box and mattress, even though the mattress is 12+ inches thick?

Also, the cover appears to be able to be unzippered at the base.  So there's a chance I could mess with the layers, but I just don't want to risk messing it up if there's even a remote possibility of selling it for a price I can stomach.  Maybe if I get to a point and think feel I just can't sell it maybe I'd go that route.  There is currently a 3" layer of soft talalay latex on top, then a layer of 2" medium talalay latex underneath that, than a 7" high density firm foam base.

Yes, starting over would be ideal, but that will depend on what you can sell it for.  Try craigslist and see what inquiries you get.

The box spring will matter if the box spring is not very firm.  Did it come with the box spring you are using or are you using an old one?  If it is an old "springy" box spring, I would try putting it on the floor for a night.  

It probably would not work flipping over unless you can put something softer on top of the firm foam base or want it very firm.  Still, I would not totally rule that out if you are desperate and willing to spend a little money.

If there is a zipper, you may want to unzip it a bit to get a sense of what is inside.  Mainly check for whether the layers  are glued.   The soft 3" of talalay is most likely the problem.  Too soft for you but it could work for someone else. 

Reply #4 Jul 22, 2010 8:59 PM
Buying mattresses is a headache (or maybe backache in this case!), that is for sure!!!  I'd put it on Craigslist immediately and explain the problem like you did here. The fact that it is brand new and a popular brand should help you sell it if you are willing to take a couple hundred dollars loss.

Good luck!

Reply #5 Jul 22, 2010 9:58 PM
I posted it on Craigslist immediately, offered to take a loss, explained my situation and offered to provide paperwork that proved I bought it just one day ago.  I have a mattress protector cover on it so this thing is literally brand new, other than my one night of restless sleep on it.

For a person in need and willing to trust me, they are truly getting an amazing deal if the feel of this mattress is what they're shopping for.  Not only would they get the benefit of the clearance deal and me negotiation $379 off the price they initially tried to sell it to me for, but they'll also shave another few hundred if not more off the price I paid.  Again, assuming the level of softness is right for whoever buys it (if I can ever sell it), this is an amazing deal to be had.

Ahhh....what a headache.  For me it was the rise and fall of the situation that hurt so much.  The fact that I was so elated at the prospect of being able to sleep again, and in a way that could possibly allow my back to heal rather than undoing the gains I make from chiropractic care and lots of swimming...then for it not to work and to instead be left with an even worse sleeping situation from myself plus the debt burden that I really shouldn't have assumed in the first place.  Just a bit depressing at the moment.

One thing I can say for sure is that this is an expensive lesson.  And as the first responder said, hopefully people reading can gain a bit of foresight from my story and be super duper careful navigating a clearance sale.  It ONLY makes sense if that mattress would have basically been the one you chose from the start as being just right for you.

Reply #6 Jul 22, 2010 10:10 PM
I would recommend putting it on the floor for a night or two - that almost always makes a mattress firmer.
Reply #7 Jul 24, 2010 8:14 PM
To follow up:  3 days later

I got 4 people interested from craigslist...every single one of them was those check scams, where they have you cash a check in advance of the purchase, they take the item, then later you hear from your bank that the check was not valid.  there are 2 levels a check needs to clear, first at the point of sale, then it gets sent off to a 3rd party company who verifies it...so in that 2nd step you find out the check is no good.  at that point since the bank had already given you the money from the point of sale cashing, you OWE the bank the money back!  by then the person is long gone with the item, their email address is no longer valid, and poof...you lose your stuff and have to pay the bank for it taboot!

SO I told them to all go screw.

THE GOOD NEWS:  I emailed Sleepys customer relations department, explained my situation, and I got a call back from a woman who promised to make me satisfied by the time she's done working with me.

She told me to go to a store, and write down the model number of the beds I like, then call her back, and she will offer a discount of up to 80%.  So for a $1,000 mattress, I'd have to pay $200 to get it, free shipping, and I get to keep the clearance item I already bought!  Thats cheaper than their traditional $250 comfort exchange program, and I get both mattresses on top of it.

It almost seems too good to be true, but I'm going to the store tomorrow to pick out a few coil mattresses in my price range that offer the comfort and support I need.  I will report back once I do that and Sleepys makes me an offer.

Things are looking up at this point...

Reply #8 Jul 24, 2010 8:24 PM

I'm a pretty savvy buyer but I shot myself in the foot on this one.  I bought on impulse and should have played it safe and gotten a spring bed that I could afford, and had the return policy intact.  Instead I was enamored by the fact that I was getting a $3,500 mattress at such a great price.  And two, because I explained in detail to the sales person what my back issues were, and literally begged the guy to help me please find something that will be good for me.  I put my trust in them, and despite the fact that I was going to buy a mattress from them no matter what, they somehow allowed me to walk out the door with something they probably knew wasn't right for my personal needs.

Just in case it makes you feel better, the *same exact scenario* practically happened to us. We're very savvy, but were very manipulated by a seemingly nice Sleepy's salesman who seemed to want to help us and cut us a deal. I also have sciatica and was stuck with a too-soft mattress (not the same mattress as you, but very similar scenario). It took us longer than a day (it took a couple months) to realize it was too soft. So we didn't even call Sleepys. We slept on it, miserably, for a year, and now it's our guest bed. I think Sleepy's specializes in mesmerizing customers in this way. I am glad they seem so willing to help you get a better mattress. I hope the next one is a good one! Personally, I won't ever go to Sleepy's again.

Recent Posts