Initial Mattress Choices - Gardner Mattress
Feb 17, 2013 1:13 PM
For the last 4 years I have slept on a very cheap mattress I bought online from Walmart. While I haven't had any problems I would like to get a quality mattress and hopefully improve my sleep quality. I am planning on going to the Gardner Mattress store in Salem, MA which has been recommended on this forum (unless the Newton or Woburn stores are acceptable, which are closer to me).

What kinds of mattresses should I try out there and how long do I try each one for? I know I need a firm core/certain amount of support but don't know my other preferences (eg innerspring, waterbed, memory foam, latex, topper, etc). Also is it possible to have a firm core and have it be comfortable? I want it to give a lot of support.

My current one is a full and I am 5'7'' but I am going to get a queen for this one so I can sprawl out more. The buying guide on this site states $500-$700 is the sweet spot for purchase of a quality mattress, does this sound about right? Also it advises getting a steel-reinforced box spring, is this important and something I need to ask about?

Thanks!

Recent Posts