Ikea latex vs. Sealy Embody
Oct 17, 2010 10:36 PM
Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on choosing between 2 mattresses.  1st a little history.   I owned an Englander latex mattress for about 5 years.  After the 4th year, it developed uncomfortable body impressions, just under 1.5" deep, so it didn't qualify for the warranty.  So I went shopping for a new mattress 9 months ago.  Sales person tried to get me to look at latex again, but I would have no part of it after my experience.  So I went with a Sealy Posturpedic firm innerspring.  It felt great for about 3 months, and now it too has very uncomfortable body impressions.  The store has agreed to let me use their one time comfort exchange even though it is beyond the time limit.  They carry the Sealy Embody line, which is a layer of latex ontop of a high density poly foam core.  The one we are interested in(and the one we can afford) is the Inspiration.  It has 3" of latex and 7" of the poly foam core.  After my comfort exchange, I will have to pay another $1200 to get it.  The other mattress we are considering is the Ikea Elsjford.  It is 5.5" of synthetic latex, super firm, and no poly foam core, just latex.  It is $599.  I have read good things about Ikea latex mattresses.  There are almost no reviews of the Embody line from Sealy because they are new.  The Spring Free line had fairly good reviews, but they are no longer available here.  So my question is......3" of natural latex ontop of 7" of poly foam or 5.5" of synthetic latex.  The biggest thing we want to avoid are body impressions, and the poly foam core on the Sealy makes me nervous.  Any help would truly be appreciated.

Mike

Re: Ikea latex vs. Sealy Embody
Reply #41 Oct 22, 2010 10:23 PM
Phoenix,

I saw in one of your other posts that you like the Pure Latex Bliss mattresses at Sleepys.  There is a Sleepys very close to me.  Now I was getting close to deciding on ordering from SleepEZ, so I was wondering if you or anyone else would rate one of these over the other.  The Sleepys looks to be a little more expensive, but if it is better I would consider it since it is a 10 minute drive.

Mike

Reply #42 Oct 22, 2010 11:02 PM
I don't think it is necessarily better ... but that if you lay on it you would be laying on either 3 or 4 or 5" of latex over latex and that gives you a "known quantity" which can be a very good testing ground. They also have latex over coils which is less common. Having said that while I don't think they are necessarily the best "value" I do like the look of them ... even though I have no personal experience with them.

Phoenix

Reply #43 Oct 22, 2010 11:05 PM
I might go try one out tomorrow just to see how they feel.  Wife is now sold on getting all latex as well, so the Embody is definately out.
Reply #44 Oct 23, 2010 1:36 PM
Can anyone chime in on Pure Latex Bliss at Sleepy's?  Went and looked at that today and the Pamper model was pretty comfortable.  It is firm Talalay.  Sleepys site says there is no quilt, fiber, or foam in the comfort layers.  So hopefully body impressions wouldn't be a problem.  The sales person also told me that the warranty covers any body impressions over 3/4".  I will believe that if I see it in writing.  The tag said the mattress is 90% Talalay and 10% poly, i'm just not sure where the poly is, but as long as it isn't in the comfort layer I feel better.  So now i'm considering this mattress since I can try it out first.  $1799.   It is more then SleepEZ......thoughts?

Mike

Reply #45 Oct 23, 2010 2:01 PM
The pure latex bliss is all Talalay except all their models have 1" (the 10%) of firm poly at the very bottom for "support". This should not present a problem. Their own website confirms the .75" depression warranty  so sagging and undue body depressions should also not be a problem. You would be sleeping on latex as they have no poly or fibre in any of the upper layers.

As far as which represents the better value for you is part of the risk/reward thing that each of us have to decide for ourselves. I would choose either of them over the embody of course and the SleepEZ is a lower cost but what it is worth to buy a bed that you have actually laid on is a question that only you can answer.

The most important thing is that everything is perfect for you. At least you are choosing between good options :)

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 23, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #46 Oct 23, 2010 3:09 PM
Just for your reference and connected to the negotiation issue mentioned in another thread ... notice that the typical margin for this mattress is 68 - 72 %. 

I would do a little homework on the web... if you decide to go in this direction ... and let Sleepys know the prices you have found (if any are lower) and also the prices that you have discovered for other mattresses that are comparable (7" of Talalay latex). This one is at the lower end of their scale and I personally would tend towards their models with more latex in the top layer but that is me. If you go in this direction make sure you resist the "I want to like it" feeling (of course encouraged by the salesperson) and that you really do feel you are getting the value you are looking for in terms of comfort, risk, price, service, materials, and everything else that is important to you.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 12, 2010 by a moderator
Reply #47 Oct 23, 2010 4:04 PM
We gave it some more thought today.  I have read some not so great things about Sleepy's, so if I did have a problem with the mattress, not sure it would go well.  On the other hand, I have read such good reviews about both the product and customer service from SleepEZ.  I think we are going to go with the 8" special.  $1295 with no shipping cost and no tax, vs. the Latex Bliss which I have not found any reviews on...and its $1799 plus tax comes to over $1900. 
Reply #48 Oct 23, 2010 4:51 PM
You are getting a mattress with slightly more latex, probably a little thinner cover (than the latex bliss), and a slightly increased risk of not getting it right the first time (because you can't lay on it first) but having the option of exchanging a layer to get it right. Bear in mind that this choice has a Dunlop core (making it slightly "firmer") as opposed to other choices you have which have all Talalay (slightly "springier") and a thicker wool cover.This is coming from a reputable dealer with a helpful reputation and it is saving you $600 or so vs the Latex Bliss.

If you are happy with all of this, then it seems like a pretty good choice to me.

Phoenix

Reply #49 Oct 24, 2010 6:15 PM
Ordered the 8" special from SleepEZ last night.  Went with X-firm, firm, medium based on Shawn's recommendation.  He is very helpful and patient in answering questions.  Now the anticipation.
Reply #50 Oct 25, 2010 1:42 AM
I think you probably made a good choice in going a little firmer given your preferences.

I'm looking forward to your "report". I haven't seen any reports on this specific model so it will be very interesting to hear what you think.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts