IKEA latex - Talalay, Dunlop or other?
Feb 19, 2009 1:36 PM
I've seen people ask this question in many different online forums but detailed answers regarding IKEA's latex mattresses appear elusive. This post is mostly for future searchers in need of answers.

First is a link to Hilding Anders International AB. They have verbiage on their site saying they supply mattresses to IKEA. Unfortunately, they are HUGE and it without inside knowledge there is no way to know which mattresses they supply to IKEA. They also currently own the rights to the Dunlopillo name in the UK and Ireland but that also provides little clue.
http://www.hildinganders.se/

Second is a trade magazine article (which I've linked to and posted in case it disappears later). Reverie, the company featured, uses what they call HT latex and the article makes it appear they are an IKEA supplier. That info is buried in the fourth paragraph. There is no byline so I cannot credit the author/reporter.
http://www.bedroom-mag.com/WI09/Spec-p18.htm

FULL TEXT
Reverie Offers Innovative Products to Manufacturers

Longevity for any business is based on innovation and a commitment to quality. In addition, “innovation” must come in the form of products and features that consumers really want, at a price they can afford, while allowing the retailer and manufacturer to make a profit. It is a simple formula for success that is anything but simple to execute. Well, Reverie has continually executed this formula as a latex and adjustable bed supplier.

Reverie’s joint venture partner DSC has been manufacturing latex for over 70 years, and they have only recently begun to export that latex to the US under the Reverie name. As the exclusive representative for HT latex in North America, the Reverie brand and their licensees have set up a network of distribution channels that make it quite easy for any manufacturer in the to buy their impressive line of natural latex products. From their lineup of over 50 amazingly priced pillows, to their fantastically soft latex quilt foam, to their patented IZONE latex pods, to their proprietary 100% natural HT latex foam toppers and mattress cores, Reverie has just about anything you could desire in latex. In addition to distribution and licensee facilities, Reverie has also opened a 50,000 sq foot customer service center in Silver Creek, New York. The service center is 100% dedicated to upholding the quality standards and serving its customers’ needs. “We want manufacturers and distributors to know that we are open for business and here to meet their needs,” says Gayle Ramdsdell, a Sales Manager for Reverie, “and if we don’t have what you are looking for today, we will work with you to develop a product that suits your needs”.

When asked what separates their latex foam from others, Reverie will tell you it is their proprietary HT latex manufacturing process. The HT process combines the best elements of the traditional Dunlop and Talalay manufacturing processes in a hybrid process called HT, which Reveie believes is less expensive and more efficient than Talalay and creates a better quality product than Dunlop. HT latex foam is a minimum of 70% natural latex, but can be made up to 100% natural upon request. Each HT product goes through a unique injection and heating stage, an exclusive 8 stage washing process, and a rigorous QC inspection before it earns the right to be labeled HT latex foam. Any product that fails inspection is scrapped and shredded rather than put into circulation under a different label. “Quality is our #1 priority,” says Patti Ark, Sales Manager for Reverie’s latex division, “and we want our customers to know that they will get a consistently great product every time they buy from us. There is no place for corner cutting at Reverie”.

So what does Reverie mean when they say they are “committed to quality”? Well, Reverie is happy to show you a lineup of certifications and test results that would put a smile on the face of even the strictest QA Manager. In fact, one of the many benefits of working with Reverie is the extensive testing that has and continues to be done on all of their products. Reverie’s HT latex passed the strict Oeko-Tex Standard 100 with flying colors, ensuring their customers that Reverie’s latex does not contain harmful substances. The company’s HT latex has also passed strict IKEA standards for latex quality, SGS standards for latex content accuracy and purity, and received certification from TFI (Textile and Flooring Institute) for quality and ecological safety. In addition, the HT latex manufacturing facility is ISO 9001/2000 certified.

Reverie has also shown its commitment to using organic materials, and has received OCIA approval (Organic Crop Improvement Association) for its organic cotton pillow covers.

In sum, the Reverie sales team says their HT latex foam can be made as soft and durable as Talalay at a price point resembling that for Dunlop latex, and to the highest quality standards in the world. These promises are pretty impressive indeed. They invite anyone who buys latex to come and see the HT latex difference in Reverie’s showroom, B-925, at this February 2009 Las Vegas Market.

In addition to being a latex supplier, Reverie is a leading developer and manufacturer of adjustable bed frames. With an R&D and distribution hub in New York and warehouses throughout North America, Reverie is positioning itself to become the industry leader in this niche category. They plan to unveil a new lineup of bases—the Reverie Essential, Reverie Comfort, Reverie Deluxe—at this February’s Las Vegas market. The Reverie Essential is an opening price point product that is sure to sell well in this tough economy, while the Reverie Comfort and Deluxe are a “better/best” lineup with features like wave massage and custom memory. In addition to this core lineup, Reverie will also be introducing its Position ID bed, it’s most technologically advanced bed with Bluetooth technology and an LCD remote with a Position ID readout that shows the position number of the bed from 0–100. Reverie believes this will allow users to more easily identify their favorite positions and store them using Reverie’s patented custom memory feature. Reverie will also be unveiling a concept bed that it plans to release in late 2009. They have been tightlipped about this new adjustable bed product because they believe it will be so groundbreaking, but word from the Reverie camp is that it will be made at several facilities and available to retailers for under $300. They plan to have a prototype at the February market to get feedback from customers and make final improvements before release.

Reverie will proudly tell you that not only are their bases technologically innovative, they are also safe and have the quality marks to prove it. Reverie’s core lineup of bases are ETL certified to UL 962, and all manufacturing facilities are ETL and ISO certified. In addition, Reverie will unveil a new patent pending “lock,” which will allow users to lock the remote controls to prevent unintended use.

We asked Reverie what their level of commitment was to manufacturers and distributors and Patti Ark jumped at the chance to answer that question. “Sure we have our own brand, but we’ve been making unique products for other brands for years and we don’t plan on stopping. This category has HUGE potential—just think about what a small percentage of foundations sold are adjustable, and how much higher that percentage would be if more manufacturer’s really committed to the category? We can’t do this alone, and we are working and will continue to work with manufacturers to come up with solutions unique to their brand identity. Everyone sells direct these days, but I think that we’re the only ones that truly partner with manufacturers. It is a part of our long-term vision and mission, not just a way to make a profit over the short-term while we build up our own brand.”

Visit Reverie in Las Vegas at B-925 or contact sales@reverie.com.
Re: IKEA latex - Talalay, Dunlop or other?
Reply #4 Dec 3, 2010 10:03 PM
Okay read this one now http://www.bedroom-mag.com/News/Latex_International_Expands_Fabrication_Capacity.html Latex International is going to have a plant in Malaysia and is closing the Atlanta facility, and CA facility and opening one in TX, and is outsourcing help while the plants are being made and closed.  Not sure who Unisource group is that is helping or if or where the latex is made in the interim.  Just more confusion.

I still would never buy from Ikea, they switch and bait merchandise.  It was not the same quality as the floor model.  They will never get my business.  angry

This message was modified Dec 3, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #5 Dec 3, 2010 10:38 PM
More "gaps" being filled in ... thanks. Just in case your link gets deleted (leads to BR magazine which is a competing site to this one) ... here is a similar article http://www.rubbernews.com/latexnews/full-story.html?id=1284403563

The way I "translate" this is ...

LI currently has one foam pouring site in Conneticut. All their other sites are for fabrication and warehousing.

They were finding it too expensive to maintain and build smaller fabrication sites and warehousing sites and keep up with the transportation and warehousing between them all originating from Conneticut.

Unisource already has a much larger warehousing and distribution system than they would ever have so it would make sense to use them instead of building more to keep up with just in time shipments.

While at the present time it seems that their single foam pouring plant is enough to supply the rest of their supply chain worldwide ... they are forecasting the need for a second pouring plant in Malaysia for their projected move into Europe and Asia (already being built) to compete with Radium (Vita) and others (Chinese, Indian, Malaysian etc). A third in Texas (in 2013) would allow them to better compete with the projected increase in business in N.A. and the projected influx of other manufacturers moving into their "home territory" (just like they are moving into others "home territory"). The one in Malaysia is particulary interesting because it is much closer to the source of latex and doesn't have the issues involved in transporting raw latex in some form to a foam pouring plant. It will have a manufacturing site as well. This will allow them to better compete with Chinese, Indian, and other Asian manufacturers on their home turf. It seems though that this will only supply Europe and Asia with additional fabrication facilities in Harrogate (the old Dunlopillo site that they bought along with the equipment).

It seems clear to me that they are already making their own moves to compete with the coming flood of Chinese Latex and planning to expand internationally as well. It also wouldn't surprise me if they were working very seriously (and even urgently) on alternative ways to produce latex either through alternative rubber sources or production methods.

Things seem to be moving towards 4 or 5 major worldwide latex producers (LI, VITA, SAPSA, and "Hilding Anders and connections"). Hilding Anders may be the same as Reverie and their Chinese latex producers but if It's not, then there would also be a 5th major producer (Reverie / Chinese). In addition to this there are also many others who are smaller or more regional producing latex. Sapsa to my knowledge is still only producing Dunlop. Out of these larger ones ... it seems that either 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 are producing Talalay (or a variant) of these 3 or 4 major Talalay producers, it seems that either 1 of 3 or 2 of 4 are being manufactured in China. Some of the smaller ones (especially in China) are also likely producing Talalay.

The only real thing that hasn't been answered is whether Hilding Anders latex (including Dunlopillo) and Reverie / Chinese latex are coming from the same place or different places. Are they partners or competitors?

Phoenix

PS: I find it interesting too that all the latex manufacturers are researching and introducing variants that incorporate or improve on the characteristics of polyurethane foams and all the poly manufacturers are researching and introducing variants which duplicate and or improve on the characteristics of latex.

This message was modified Dec 4, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #6 Dec 4, 2010 9:55 PM
lol ... this thread keeps getting bumped up with no post.

But while it's here, I may as well add a few more tidbits. I am thinking that the foaming process used for the Reverie latex is called the Revertex process and information about it is here

It seems that up until lately at least that it was only used for thinner layers such as carpet underlay but perhaps they have improved it so it would be suitable for mattress cores. It's interesting that they mention that they use (as one alternative) a derivitave of yeast to create the foam. Reminds me of making bread :)

Revertex the company is also now supplying rubber to a company called Vystar who makes non allergenic and patented Vytex rubber which is being used for condoms and ... mattress cores (scroll down to Jan/2009)

Thai Rubber Latex Corporation, the parent company of Revertex also says that their rubber is being used to produce mattress cores (via Vytex rubber or something else?)

I keep getting more links than I have time to follow.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 4, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #7 Dec 8, 2010 4:48 PM
Well clearly one of the moderators is bumping this thread up ... either that or it's on "autobumpup" once it gets to a certain point.

Don't have much to add for now since I haven't had the time to do much more research but I can say that it seems there is more Talalay being made in China ...  and elsewhere than even what I had found a few days ago. It is also interesting that the Chinese put a premium on imported latex over their own manufacturers (those that carry it promote it as "higher quality" like Europe or Norh America).

I did find one more source ... and a large one ... for Talalay latex that is pouring in Malaysia called http://www.jonlatex.com/ It is in mattresses in Europe and Asia and they are looking to come into North America (if they haven't already). They are quite popular in China where I believe two of their brands are "Ritonia" (Yu Tang) and "Aslitah" (love sweet dreams). It's not so easy to work my way through google translations of Chinese websites :)

Phoenix

PS: Part of this post and all of the next one removed and moved to a new more appropriate thread.

This message was modified Dec 8, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #8 Dec 8, 2010 8:45 PM
This post and part of the last one moved to a different and more appropriate thread as it was concerning a different topic

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 8, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #9 Dec 10, 2010 7:02 PM
More to come but just this tidbit for now. I had pretty much managed to track down who owned the Dunlopillo brand everywhere in the world except for NA. But I was looking in the wrong place. I went to Trademarkia and confirmed what I suspected. It appears that when Latex International purchased the equipment from Dunlopillo, they also purchased the fabrication (not pouring) plant in Harrogate mentioned earlier and it also appears that they Purchased the Dunlopillo brand for North America 8 days after the administrators stepped in. http://www.trademarkia.com/dunlopillo-77635922.html

So there are at least 4 - 5 different owners of the Dunlopillo brand and each of them may be pouring in different facilities and countries. The largest one Sime Darbe (Who is bigger in the "Dunopillo world" than Hilding Anders mentioned previously), who owns the brand in Asia, Africa, and the Middle east and a total of 45 countries, is almost certainly pouring in China and possibly Vietnam (don't know yet if it's a fabrication facility or a pouring facility).

Paramount bedding has just become the first Dunlopillo licensee in the US http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Europe%27s+Top+Latex+Bedding+Brand+Coming+to+U.S.+Markets.-a0233621424 So I'm assuming that Dunlopillo latex in the US will really be LI Latex.

Also the new foam pouring facility LI is building in Malaysia is being built under the name of Dunlop Latex Foam Ltd which is the old owners of Dunlopillo so LI must have bought that name as well. Their harrogate fabrication plant is still listed under that name.

More to come as I piece together the many links I have and compare addresses of factories.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 10, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #11 Dec 14, 2010 6:40 AM
Here is the ownership of the Dunlopillo brand as far as I (think I) know it so far...

Hilding Anders: UK, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, and perhaps other European countries

Cauval: France and Germany (bought from Sumitomo Japan). They tend to "separate themselves" as much as they can in each country. There was a pre-existing group in Germany which was distributing Dunlopillo before Cauval bought it (Dunlopillo Marketing GmbH) and they probably still are (they hold the trademark). I find it interesting that in 2003 Dunlopillo Indonesia (Part of Sime Darbe) developed "Bio Latex" and that a year later Dunlopillo marketing gmbh trademarked "Dunlopillo wild latex" in Germany. See the part about Dunlopillo Inonesia that confirms they are using their own "bio latex" in their Dunlopillo mattresses. Also includes Netherlands (represented by "the night shift"), Czeckslovakia, Poland, Austria, Switzerland, and perhaps others as well.

Latex International: Italy, Turkey, Israel, Cyprus, South America, and US. Exclusive partnership with Dunlopillo in Greece, Spain, Denmark?, Netherlands, UK, France. New Malaysian plant to supply Talalay and Dunlop under the name of Dunlop Latex Foam (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary.

Ruia Group: India purchased in 2005. Manufactured in India. Unknown if they have any "connections" to other Dunlopillo ownership groups.

Sime Darbe through wholly owned subsidiary "Dunlopillo Indonesia": 45 Countries. Most of Asia Middle East, Africa. Manufacturing in China and Viet Nam. Promoting their latex as "Dunlopillo UK Talalay" since "European" labelling seems to be attractive in Asia ... even though it isn't UK latex anymore.

Dunlopillo Indonesia (Sime Darbe): This is the first actual confirmation of a specific material in a Dunlopillo mattress. Uses "Bio latex" which they developed and produce http://www.dunlopillo.co.id/Content/OUR%20PRODUCT/biolatex.html. They began exporting latex cores to Europe in 2002 so probably had a well established pipeline when they became part of Dunlopillo Sime Darbe group in 2004. It looks like the strategy of Sime Darbe is to "brand" their latex as "UK Talalay latex" or "UK Latex". They are also a part of the "UK Latex Industries Group" which implies that their Bio Latex is at least part of what is in the Sime Darbe groups mattresses although they are not mentioned on the Sime Darbe website as manufacturers.

Sleepyhead: Just purchased Australia, New Zealand from Pacific Brands on November 1st.

Thalpos Abee: Greece. The Greek Dunlopillo site is a real treasure trove of information ... but only if you go through the google translation. If you click on the english translation on the site itself you get different (less) information (laughing). Apparently "Pure Latex Bliss" is also a Latex International company.

Canada is unaccounted for. I know that at one time Natura was using Dunlopillo in their mattresses. Maybe Budgy has some information about this?

Antarctica is unaccounted for (laughing)

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 15, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #12 Dec 15, 2010 1:36 AM
I guess Russia and the slavic nations are also unaccounted for and it seems that there was some movement in this direction.

Page 14 specifically talks about outsourcing Dunlopillo production ... in this case to Serbia

Reply #13 Dec 15, 2010 1:38 PM
This is a test...

Recent Posts