I love my new cheap mattress :-)
Jun 12, 2011 3:53 PM
How many people can say that?!    I wanted Original Mattress Factory's Orthopedic Ultra Firm.   Still want that, and might buy it later.  For now, I needed an ultra firm innerspring with little padding.  Didn't want to spend the $950 or so to get the OMF set in queen with split box spring until I move to more permanent digs.

Bought:    Therapedic "Happiness" firm  1-sided queen size mattress,  #08-00055 manufactured 12/19/08,      Therapedic, Orwell OH  44076

This was a new mattress, queen size, that was sitting around in a furniture store.   It's single-sided, but I only paid $350 for it, so I'll compromise.

Pros:

ultra firm feel

really great edge stiffening, and I do mean great

motion dampening is acceptable;  not much shimmy;  motion is dampened fast

not much foam in it

cover is attractive and doesn't have a cheap look like most current models

Middle seems to have some additional support, so that the mattress feels straight not concave.  I don't know what type of spring system it has.  The Leggett & Platt Verticoil came out just about then, so maybe that's what it has.  Didn't bother contacting the company, and the furniture store no longer had the spec sheet.

Probably would be flippable for use with a aftermarket latex topper.

It's not heavy.

cons:

single sided, and the bottom is just that Pellon-type synthetic mesh-y stuff that you find on the bottom of box springs.

Relatively lightweight for its size.  Might mean not much steel in it?  (But for $350 ,who cares.)

I was told that the queen set sold for $800 or so when it was a current model.  Whatever.    The foundation that I am using is a split box foundation, not a spring, made by Imperial and I got it free on Craigslist.    If you want a one-piece box spring or foundation, you can often find people giving them away nowadays because they don't fit into smaller hallways and stairways and people either get a split box or a platform bed.

The whole set-up, and this really has the ultra-firm and top quality feel to it:

• Knickerbocker #750 "Triple Threat" adjustable frame that adjusts to fit T/F/Q.   Knickerbocker's "Triple Threat" and "Monster" are great adjustable frames, so don't let the furniture store tell you that all adjustable bed frames are junk.   The center support runs east-west, and the split box's frames run north-south, so there is no way that the bed could sag in the middle.   The Knickerbocker frame is pictured here:  http://knickerbockerbedframe.com/showcase.php   It has 6 rollers and one "pod" that contact the floor for stability.     I also drilled the ends of the frame to accept extension pieces and the Bed Claw footboard bracket kit, so I can have a footboard on there, too.  (No Knickerbocker frames accept footboards.)   The "railroad steel" is really tough to drill, so I'll vouch for the strength of this frame.   Brass headbaord and footboard with the cylinders is what I'm using.  Pic:
  • Therapedic 08-00055 "Happiness" queen mattress  (discontinued)
  • Beautyrest 2" foam topper that I bought back in 2004-2006 sometime but never used until now.  It's just like what's called memory foam now and sells for $55-$65, but it cost only $35 or so a few years ago when it was just a foam topper, lol.
  • Quilted cotton mattress pad on top of the foam topper.
This message was modified Jun 12, 2011 by TC2334

Recent Posts