Help finding a not-so-expensive latex "plush"
Nov 19, 2008 10:27 PM
I went around mattress shopping today for a queen. Stopped by Sleepy's, Ikea and Macy's. I would don't want to spend an arm and a leg but I was trying to get a bearing on what I would like to get.

At Sleepy's, I really liked the S&F 'Garden Grove' latex mattress for cool $1400 w/o box spring. It was plush on top, with a solid firm not-springy feel. I did not like the tempurpedic mattress at all. Sealy posturepedic 'Plus' were OK. I also liked the Miralux 'plush' but I read some reviews about them and will stay away.

I went to Ikea and checked out their latex mattress and was rather disappointed, especially for the price. For $900, 7" is simply way too skinny of a mattress. I don't know what the Ikea mattress is made of, or why the S&F Latex felt a million times different/better.

I also went to Macy's, and checked out some mattresses - they had a good sale going. A basic Sealy Posturepedic was $400 for queen, but I reaffirmed that I liked 'plush' top mattress. I also checked out some lower end Sertas and Simmons, and probably liked Serta Perfect Sleeper the most price/feel ratio. I did not like the very springy/not-very-solid feel of these matresses.

Here's my dillema. I don't want to spend a $1000 on a mattress (tax, delivery, etc) but I don't want buy something crappy either. Im purchasing a platform bed with slats which will be relatively low to the ground, and I've figured that only 7" of support is a bit too skinny. The S&F Latex was great but way out of my price range. I don't know if I want to risk puting one together from FBM.  Flobed  is too expensive. Cheapest sleepez is still $1000+ for a queen. What about this overstock latex for example? How does it compare? http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/E.C.O.-10-inch-Latex-Queen-size-Firm-Mattress/3485892/product.html

I can also get a Serta Perfect Sleeper (532 coil count) Queen with various Foam combinations for $500-$600 almost dealer-direct. Maybe I should just do that...

p.s. I tried out a latex international plush pillow - it is a stomach sleeper's heaven. I want 10 :)

This message was modified Nov 19, 2008 by speeder

Recent Posts