Help end my mattress search saga! Looking for memory foam with no toxic fumes
Oct 6, 2011 3:39 PM
I'm glad I found this site.  It's comforting to know I'm not the only one having problems finding the right mattress.  The long & short of it is that I'm trying to find a memory foam bed with no or little toxic fumes.  Here's my story:

We slept for 13 years on a Simmons Beautyrest.  Only in the last year we would both were waking up sore so we figured it was time to change.  I researched & tried several mattresses.  Ended it up picking the Ava (tight top, plush firm) from the black label collection of Beautyrest (also called Carmen in some on-line stores).  That's really the one that seemed the best to us.  When we first got it it seemed softer than at the store but still comfortable.  Unfortunately I got it only a week before going on a 2 weeks vacation.  My comfort guarantee was only for 30 days.  It took me about 2 months to realize that it's too soft for me.  I figured I would get used to it.  After a few months I went to China for a couple weeks & slept on very firm beds during our stay.  We were very apprehensive about how firm the beds were but I rapidly noticed my back getting better.  By the time I got back I had no more back pain.  It only took a 3hrs nap on the new Simmons bed to bring all the pain again.  We decided to eat up the loss, move the bed to the guest room & get another bed.  So I started researching beds again!

I finally decided to try a Tempurpedic.  We got the Contour Select with the adjustable base.  We felt in love right away on the first night.  The smell was very mild & it didn't bother us.  It was a little hot but still very comfortable.  The more we slept in it the more we loved it.  Unfortunately I started having very strange sensations in my joints.  Kind of a burning sensation.  It started in my fingers, then my knees, elbows, ankles & toes.  At first I thought maybe I ate something I was allergic to.  But after a week, the sensation was getting worse & would only occur after laying in bed for several hours.  I woke up one morning thinking it might be the bed so I googled it & to my surprise I found that many people were reporting having adverse health effects to the toxic fumes of the Tempurpedic.  So I slept a couple nights in the guests room to test it out.  All the sensations went away (but my back aches came back).  I went back to the Temp & the sensations came back.  I was devastated.  Here I had finally found a comfortable mattress but I was having allergic reactions to it.  Fortunately this time I had a 100 days money back guarantee.  So I returned the mattresses.  We kept the adjustable bases (2- Twin XL) because we love that option.

After researching again, I decided on a "100% botanical" latex.  No quilting just the 6" latex with a cotton cover.  We picked the firm (suppose to be 32 IDL).  First the mattresses arrived & they seemed to us a lot firmer than at the store.  Kind of comfortable for the first hr but after a few hrs we both woke up extremely sore.  After a few days we couldn't stand it anymore.  We went back to the store.  They lent us a 3" latex topper to try on it.  It seemed too soft to me but the first night it was such a relief after sleeping on the hard surface.  After the 2nd night my lower back was really stiff just like when I was sleeping on the Simmons.  On a 1-10 for comfort, the new Simmons is a 5, the Tempurpedic is a 9.5 & the latex one we got is a 2 (the topper brings it to a 5).

This has been a very frustrating experience.  I would love to find a memory foam that would not be toxic.  Essentia is very expensive & there are no store in my area for me to try it.  Has anyone had any experience with a Magniflex or with a Ecomfort mattress?  How about the Natural Form that is used in the Hilton Garden Inns?  Does anyone have other suggestions?

This message was modified Oct 6, 2011 by mjoeroy
Re: Help end my mattress search saga! Looking for memory foam with no toxic fumes
Reply #1 Oct 6, 2011 9:26 PM
Researching 'proof' that memory foam is toxic -

Wiki - "When new, some memory foams give off a distinct chemical odor, which many people find unpleasant and some say is akin to the smell of paint. This odor decreases with airing, but some remain sensitive. Emissions from memory foam mattresses may cause more respiratory irritation than other mattresses. Mildew and house dust mites may not occur as frequently, so asthma attacks may be less frequent and severe."

Of course www.sleepworks.com and Essentia are going to say memory foam is toxic .... they sell the alternative.

http://www.chem-tox.com/guest/guestbook.html   <<  what is the money trail here?  Notice how there's no way to add to this list?  Bunch of complaints form 2004 to 2006

A more intellingent discussion by chemical type engineers -

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/3496

I had a memory foam topper from a local mattress maker that really reeked of chemical smell to where I couldn't use, but that has not been the case with this Cloud.

Must be a pretty rare reaction for you considering 4 million people are sleeping on Tempurpedics.

Good luck.  I know Essentia claims natural memory foam and Keetsa apparently makes a more natural type of memory foam mattress.

This message was modified Oct 18, 2011 by a moderator

Recent Posts