Help Buying a new Mattress
Jul 2, 2011 10:19 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forum; I've been looking for a new mattress for the last two weeks.  My current mattress is 10 years old and I noticed that when I sleep on my stomach, I wake up with the worst lower back pain.  I thought maybe it was the pillow on my bed but I realized when i traveled for work a few months ago, i woke up every morning feeling refreshed.  My first night back home, my back was killing me the next morning.

So, I went to a couple of Mattress stores here in GA.  One major retailer and the other specializes only in Mattresses.   I'm looking at one called

• Simmons Beautyrest Windsor Plush and the much more expensive one which is a Tempur-pedic, the Rhapsody.  They are about 2000k different in cost but I just want something that will make my back feel better.  Of course if I can save some money that would be great.
  •  
  • Can anyone offer any insight on either mattress. I know the lady is tired of me coming in there to lay on these mattresses but I'm just torn.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Re: Help Buying a new Mattress
    Reply #1 Jul 2, 2011 11:12 AM
    You might want to read this thread:    http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-quest-new-mattress/16650-A-1.html

I subscribe to the latex mattress theory but some here like inner spring or Tempurpedic mattresses.  I would suggest you use the "search" function.

I've had a Simmons Beautirest World Class something or other, a Sleep Number Bed and I'll never again own one of the "S" brand models unless I plan to only have it for a month.   The cheap PU foam they use sags and provides no support after about 9 months, then you have to buy another if you need support.  I've never owned a Tempurpedic.

This message was modified Jul 2, 2011 by Sall
    Re: Help Buying a new Mattress
    Reply #2 Jul 2, 2011 1:00 PM
    Not to be antagonistic, but from what I've read, stomach sleeping is the least recommended position.  Apparently it can leave one prone to neck and back pain. 2/3 of people are side sleepers.  I know they say you should put a pillow under your hips when stomach sleeping.  If you use some sort of body pillow, it could train you to side sleep and not roll over to your stomach.  I have a spare King size pillow which I put between knees and lay my upper arm over it when side sleeping.  I find the 50" long body pillows a bit too long.

On to mattresses.

I would looking at a number of mattress stores including Sears if they have them nearby.  Each retailer has different selections.  Be very familiar with exchange policies (if they don't have one, find a retailer that does), and return policy.  Very common to pay a restocking fee if returning, but one time free exchange can be found too.

I don't know where that Simmons falls in the lineup (retailers use different names and slightly different fabrics to disguise mattresses). Simmons Beautyrest Classic is the common name found on their website as pretty much the entry level mattress.  I think  they are pretty darn good for an innerspring mattress and they have individual coils as do all beautyrest beds.  Individually pocketed coils conform the best and have less motion transfer for bed partners.  Downside is weight is not distrubuted to neighboring coils like connected coils so some coils will bear repeated weight.

Next level up in Beautyrest is the Elite which would be a lot like my 2 week old Stearns and Foster entry level Plush.  The foam on these types of beds and likely the one you are looking are will indent and form to your body in just a few days.  I rate my S&F as good, a solid 'B' grade for sure. But I may very well do an exchange to try a memory foam bed from Serta's iComfort line, a Revolution.

No doubt Tempurpedic beds are high quality, but their prices reflect that.  I've been using a Tempurpedic pillow Symphony pillow for about 3 years and it is exactly the same as the day I bought it.  Tempurpedic's memory foam is high quality.  

This message was modified Jul 2, 2011 by a moderator

Recent Posts