Have OMF memory foam, topper thoughts?
Mar 8, 2012 11:36 AM
We recently purchased the Serenity memory foam set from Original Mattress Factory. It seems well-put together and we're liking it quite a bit. It does not transfer motion nearly as much as our previous OMF spring mattress, and it does not sleep hot at all.

Their memory foam is a little different than others, as it react much faster than the Tempur Pedic, which I don't care for.

However, it is quite firm. Seems to be softening a little, but I think I'm wanting something I can sink into just a bit more, as I am having some comfort issues. I had hoped a new bed would help me sleep more soundly and wake less to flop around. While better, I'm not there yet. My s.o. is fine with what we have, but admits she can get comfortable on just about anything. I tend to prefer a firmer feel, but need a little more to sink into.

My thought is a topper would allow us to sink into the bed a little more, to let the foam do it's thing and provide even support, etc. So I've been looking around and found foambymail.com. They offer both memory foam and latex toppers. Our initial thought has been to do latex.

To note, I'm about 6'1", 165 lbs, she is about 5'5", 115-120 lbs. So we're not big people. She's a side sleeper, I sleep mainly on my back, but do switch to my sides as well.

They offer two different ILDs in the latex, 20 (soft) and 32 (they call medium, others list this ILD as firm). Any suggestions based on the above? We can do a 2,3 or 4", depending on material (no 4" in the latex). Or would a memory foam be smarter? We thought the mix of the latex topper with the memory foam may be the best of both worlds. 

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Re: Have OMF memory foam, topper thoughts?
Reply #1 Mar 8, 2012 10:12 PM
Just my humble, I wouldn't opt for anything over 20 ILD.  I'm a little heavier than you and have a 1.5" 19 ILD LI natural latex topper that has made a tremendous difference in the comfort of my medium-firm mattress.  It's soft *and* supportive, so you don't have to worry about sinking in too deeply as long as you don't go over 2".  You can always add another layer of latex, but you can't subtract.  So I would say, start with 2".

If you would prefer memory foam, 1-2" of 4 lb. foam should do it.  I'm not familiar with foambymail.com's inventory, but try to steer clear of the memory foam made in China.  Foamex has a 4 lb. memory foam called Aerus that's certified low VOC.  

Just checked their website and it looks like foambymail.com has an Aerus knock-off.  You're not going to get nearly the same qualiity.  I also see that they don't mention who manufactures their talalay latex, just that it's "made in Europe".  It could be of a decent quality, but if you want the best talalay you should look for anything manufactured by Latex International.

Reply #2 Mar 9, 2012 10:14 AM
ivana_sleepwell wrote:

Just my humble, I wouldn't opt for anything over 20 ILD.  I'm a little heavier than you and have a 1.5" 19 ILD LI natural latex topper that has made a tremendous difference in the comfort of my medium-firm mattress.  It's soft *and* supportive, so you don't have to worry about sinking in too deeply as long as you don't go over 2".  You can always add another layer of latex, but you can't subtract.  So I would say, start with 2".

Thank you for your thoughts, do appreciate it! They only thing they really say about their Talalay, is that it's 100% natural. Looking at price point, the foam by mail product seems like it would be a good starting point for us, for a natural product. I did get the web site from other threads in this forum. I may give them a call to discuss it, seems like it's at the least, a good option. Have been hoping to get additional opinions as well.

Cheers.

This message was modified Mar 9, 2012 by lpeters
Reply #3 Mar 9, 2012 11:38 PM
Tbh, "natural" latex is overrated.  A natural/synthetic blend is either of equal quality or superior - depending on whom you ask - so, if price is an issue, don't rule out blended talalay.  Blended is generally cheaper.  Going back to the foambymail toppers, if you didn't read the "Comfort adjustment - to 24 or 28?" thread, Catherine said that the foambymail 20 ILD latex topper is more like a 28-30 ILD.  That's more of a "cushion firm" or "medium".  Keep that in mind if you decide to order from them.  

Cheers backatcha!

Reply #4 Mar 10, 2012 6:03 PM
great to know, thank you. was hoping for something a little softer. any thoughts on a resource for a reasonably priced talalay topper? hoping to get something a little on the softer side.

Recent Posts