Foambymail.com - Questions about Latex Base, Toppers and Duties across the board (Canada)
Sep 3, 2011 12:41 PM
Hello All, 

I have spent quite a few hours reading on this forum about DYI Latex Mattresses. I have a few questions! I Just moved to Montreal Quebec recently from British Columbia. Sleeping on an old spring mattress and the individual springs are huge and digging into my side!!! I need to find a new mattress and a bed frame. My hate for most regular mattresses seems high so I stumbled upon latex!

1) Has anyone had any experience with ordering from foambymail.com to Canada? Duties? Flat Rate shipping UPS $12.99

2) Is it possible to sleep just on the 6" base latex piece? Maybe add Toppers later?

3) I see that going a bit firmer first may be better then going to soft as you can add Toppers. What base firmness for the 6"? I am 6', 165lbs and a side sleeper.

4) Anyone have any idea of sources for DYI in Canada? Probably not right?

Thanks,

Bryan

Re: Foambymail.com - Questions about Latex Base, Toppers and Duties across the board (Canada)
Reply #1 Sep 3, 2011 1:55 PM
Hey neighbour! I"m in Montreal too, and also contacted Foambymail, since latex DIY seems to be unheard of around here. According to the information I was sent, there is a 20% tax charged on your item and it includes

"insurance, duties, broker fees and customs across the border".

Don't know if you care or not, but Sears actually has a Natura latex topper - 2" - available. But it might be cheaper to import your items.

http://www.sears.ca/product/natura-ventilated-latex-foam-topper/696-000370221-216345

Re: Foambymail.com - Questions about Latex Base, Toppers and Duties across the board (Canada)
Reply #2 Sep 4, 2011 12:23 AM
Hello parawizard,

1) Foambymail uses FEDEX to ship to Canada, and their shipping price is based on item weight and size when compressed. I got a 6" base PU, 3" 5lb memory foam and 2" latex (med) shipped to Alberta and shipping came up to close to $100. On top of this there is a 15-20% tax that they add on so that you don't have any fees to pay once the foam gets to you.

2 & 3) It is possible to sleep on the 6" latex. At your weight you will not sink in far enough to bottom out the latex pieces. There is both the 36 ILD and the 29 ILD latex, but for a side sleeper I would go for the 29 so you have more cushioning. Depending on what you are used to sleeping on, if the 29 ILD turns out not to be firm enough for your liking you are hooped as shipping the latex back to them would be too costly. If you have the money, I would go for the 36 ILD, then buy toppers (20 ILD soft latex) to get the comfort right. If you try the 36 ILD and it is too firm, you can put some thick blankets under you for cushioning as you wait for the soft topper(s) to arrive.

4) For the price, FoamByMail (or The Foam Factory) are still the best bet.

Cheers,

Mban

Recent Posts