First expensive mattress
Jul 28, 2013 10:13 PM
I'll try to make this short-

-couple in our mid thirties

-slept on firm foam cheap mattress mostly (currently have a 13 year old simple $99 foam mattress from Ikea, possibly about 5 inches)

-bed is a slotted platform bed

-no back problems

-both side sleepers

-prefer to sleep in a 'cooler' bed that allows heat to dissipate

I don't think we want a spring mattress, memory mattress sounds more appealing except we'd be worried about overheating in bed. We recently bought an Otis Pulsar memory foam mattress for our futon in the spare bedroom (http://www.amazon.com/Otis-Pulsar-Futon-Mattress-Contour/dp/B004P6T6MI) and so far it has been great but we have no idea what else is out there and how to compare it. We did walk into Raymore and Flannigan and were a little taken back by the plethora of mattress and accompanying prices. Nothing we tried (only tried for a few minutes each) from the inner coil spring mattresses or memory foam (Beautyrest, Temtepur-pedic, Sealy, Serta) felt all that great or different from what we have, even the $7000+ options. What are we missing? We were sold the usual hype and dogma about spending half your life on your bed etc., but don't really know if there is supposed to be much of difference between the Otis Pulsar we have (around $400-$500) and the other options. My questions are - what should we look at in other brands? and are the Otis mattresses decent enough?

Re: First expensive mattress
Reply #1 Sep 1, 2013 8:09 PM
You lucked out! There is nothing wrong with a cheap mattress that works for you.

Recent Posts