DIY Latex Mattress experience - from mattresses247 with photos
Oct 22, 2011 8:47 PM
Thanks to everyone for all their posts. I learned a lot by the wealth of resources on this forum.

I thought I was going to try to copy a PureLatex Bliss Pamper. As my wife and I liked it on the showroom floor.

This consists of the following:

1" talalay 19 ILD

6" talalay 40 ILD

1" PU Foam? - I guess they now use latex, but it used to be some high density foam

So I started looking for all the components and was ready to get everything from FBM. Then I found mattresses247 on eBay. They offer talalay latex seconds in nearly any size as well as 1, 2 or 3 layers at a time. I ordered the King package with 2 layers mix and match. Valerie called me back and walked me through my order and gave me more options. It turns out I was able to order 4 different pieces if I wanted. I ended up ordering 2 medium and 2 firm to use as my core. I'm starting out with the medium on top, but will reverse them if they are too soft. This way my wife and I can be different if we want. She likes it firmer and I like softer.

I can't say enough about the latex from mattresses247. The latex looks great! I did notice some very small air pockets where the latex didn't fill in and light soiled spots, but very small and they had no smell at all. I have no complaints at all.

I'm still going to order the soft latex from FBM, but I'll be waiting to save some more money for that purchase. In the meantime, I removed the air bladders from our Boyd airbed and replaced it with 5.6" of latex and 2" of memory foam and zipped it back up.

My back was a little sore this morning, a bit firmer than I'm used to. We'll see as time goes on.

So if anyone is looking for flexibility building a kingsize latex bed, check out mattresses247. Great prices and you can customize your order too.

Here are the boxes from mattresses247. Shipped UPS and came in great condition. The UPS label had them at 55 lbs each.

Here are the bags that were inside. They were covered with a clear plastic tube taped on the ends. Inside the latex was rolled and covered with a large sheet of black plastic.

Each piece was labeled. I ordered 2 firm and 2 medium. I don't know where this talalay latex comes from, but it is supposed to be blended. Can anyone tell me what company makes this latex based on the labels?

They were called factory seconds and here is an example of some of the small imperfections. There wasn't much of this, but here are a couple of examples.

As you can see the normal holes are very uniform and the pieces are exactly 38" x 80". I forgot to measure the thickness, but they are supposed to be 2.8".

This message was modified Oct 23, 2011 by tyeske
Re: DIY Latex Mattress experience - from mattresses247 with photos
Reply #1 Nov 20, 2011 3:36 PM
tyeshe  

any update how this setup is working for you?

Reply #2 Dec 6, 2011 4:48 PM
My current configuration is 2 x 1" pieces of unknown ILD (soft) Talalay Latex on top of 2.8" Med over 2.8" Firm over a 2" memory foam.

My wife has the firm over the medium. I am pretty happy with it, but my wife thinks it is a bit too soft. I may move 1" down between the 2.8" medium and 2.8" firm.

Reply #3 Jan 3, 2012 9:29 PM
Considering a DIY latex mattress myself.  What did you use for a cover/case?  Thanks.

Recent Posts