Costco - Current Firm Mattress Options
May 20, 2011 8:22 AM
Looking for some advice as my back is currently killing me.  I've got a five year old queen Sealy plush set that needs to go.  Don't recall the specs, but I bought it because it was similar to the Sheraton bed that I found I slept great on back when I was traveling.  I've got the usual complaint of body impressions and degraded foam causing valleys. 

I want to buy from Costco due to their great return policy, so I'm limited in my choices.  I have tried memory foam and hate it, so not an option.  Also 6'1" 280lbs, so looking for something firm I won't sink all the way into.

My current choices from the Costco lineup are three Sealy innersprings and a latex "hybrid".

* Sealy Alanson Cushion Firm - $580

* Ivory Forest Firm - $650

These two look to be the same construction with some variation in the types of foam used in the comfort layer. 

*Springport Firm - $680 (on sale from normal $800)

This one looks to have the upgraded "XT" edge support and some extra foam, including a .79" latex layer

Sleep Science Latex 10" - $990

Latex looks interesting and my research makes me think it will have a longer life than an innerspring.  It is at the top of my budget so I would probably drop in on my existing box spring which seems to be in good shape.  I can add a board if necessary. 

If I go with an innerspring, I'm thinking less foam is better since that is what seems to degrade.  I can always throw on a topper if too firm. 

So, do I go cheap and plan on throwing it away in five years, go for the mid-point with the Springport on sale, or splurge on the latex and hope to get more life out of it.

Thanks for any advice.

This message was modified May 20, 2011 by t1234
Re: Costco - Current Firm Mattress Options
Reply #1 May 23, 2011 4:10 PM
Do not get the Sealy Springport, it's a total piece of crap, I just returned it to costco today. After 3 months it had horrible body impressions due to the memory foam. Do not buy any mattress with memory foam, even an inch, if you want to avoid body impressions and the sore back that comes with it.

I am currently looking at the Ivory Forest. That has Sealy Foam rather than Memory Foam, getting ready to call Sealy now to find out what the difference is.

Reply #2 May 27, 2011 2:44 PM
I went with the Sleep Science latex.  I ordered it last Friday and had a call within a few hours from a rep at the manufacturer, thanking me for my purchase and letting me know it would ship that day (website said 3-4 weeks).  It came via FedEx ground (CA to MI) yesterday - I don't think the driver was all that thrilled with the 100 pound, 19x19x68" package, but I helped him carry it the front door.

I skipped the foundation since that had bad reviews and just topped my old Sealy box spring with two 3x5 1/4"sheets of Hardibacker board - easier to transport and cut than plywood.  I wrestled the rolled mattress up and tore through the outer bag and then the vacuum sealed layer.  It expanded to full size in seconds with minimal odor.

It is much more firm than I expected for any kind of foam.  Even at my size I barely sink into it.  Had the best night of sleep in months last night.

Their warranty also decent - 20 years, and the critera is 3/4" of sag vs. the 1.5" most innerspring seem to have. 

Will see how it goes for the next few weeks/months...

Reply #3 May 31, 2011 1:13 AM

For those interested in buying Costco Sealy Posturepedic beds, here is my experience and 2 data points.  They change the model name every couple years.  The model are very similar, maybe with slight difference or improvements.

I have the Sealy Haven Spring Firm Mattress from 2010, which I believe is previous model for Ivory Forrest Firm.  Although Sealy claims this is the firmest bed they offer at Costco, the comfort layers are quite thick that cause the bed to have springy feel.  It just have Sealy Foam and doesn't have Memory or Latex layers.   I personally do not like the feel and find it too soft.  It is in the guest bedroom and not often used, so no issues with sagging thus far.

I had Sealy Sterlingshire Firm mattress purchased in 2008, which I believe is equivalent to the current Springport Firm.  It is firm, with multiple cushion layers (luxurious knit cover, 1 oz flamguard fiberlux, 1" memory foam, 1/2" Sealy foam, 1x1/2" convoluted MarveLux foam, 1/2" HP Sealy foam, 2"x1" Pressure Point foam, 1/2" memory foam).  It is very similar to the Springport; both have multiple comfort layers and include memory foam, but the actual comfort layers are not identical.  The Sterlingshire I had was very comfortable for my taste.  It has a very firm base, and thin soft cushion layer on top.  It feels like sleeping on the floor with a thin soft mattress topper.

The problem with this mattress is that it started sagging after 3 years.  I can feel the area near my midsection start to sag more than surrounding area.  This causes less support for my butt and results in lower back pain.  Even if I rotate the bed regularly, the sag occurred on both left and right sides of the bed, and in the center. Note that this is not unique to me.  And it seems that Springport Firm still have the same issue.  If you go thru the reviews on Costco.com for Springport Firm (all sizes), 7 out of 39 reviewers have sagging problem.  Yes, I went thru all the reviews as I'm shopping for new mattress.

Costco did accept return of the mattress with full refund, even after 3 years.  After I returned the Sterlingshire Firm, I purchased Tempurpedic.  That didn't work out as the memory foam didn't provide enough support for my lower back and cause my lower back to ache.  I am ultra sensitive to any support (or lack of) and sagging in my lower back region.

So I'm now back to square one.  I have decided to try Sleep Science Comfort Latex Bed from Costco.  I just ordered it.  I will provide feedback after I have chance to try it out.  I hope I will like the Sleep Science Latex.  If that doesn't work, I will go with Springport Firm and cross my fingers on the sag.
Reply #4 Jul 3, 2011 12:46 PM
1st post!!

We just ordered a Sealy Ivory Forest (Firm) king from Costco. Would appreciate any feedback on this model & I will post an update once it arrives in the next 1-2 weeks.

TIA!

Recent Posts