Are holes in Dunlop toppers supposed to go all the way through?
Oct 26, 2012 8:16 AM
Hi everyone,

I purchased a topper from mattresses.net, and I am a bit disappointed. About half of the holes do not penetrate the topper. the owner simply tells me that the holes are absolutely not essential and that I just received "the best deal on the planet". The topper was guaranteed not to be factory 2nds or irregular in any way. Why bother punching any holes if they have no purpose? Well, then he said that the holes aren't SUPPOSED to go all the way through. But like I said, about half do. Anyone have any insight?

Re: Are holes in Dunlop toppers supposed to go all the way through?
Reply #2 Oct 26, 2012 9:59 AM
lmarie1 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I purchased a topper from mattresses.net, and I am a bit disappointed. About half of the holes do not penetrate the topper. the owner simply tells me that the holes are absolutely not essential and that I just received "the best deal on the planet". The topper was guaranteed not to be factory 2nds or irregular in any way. Why bother punching any holes if they have no purpose? Well, then he said that the holes aren't SUPPOSED to go all the way through. But like I said, about half do. Anyone have any insight?

The 'pinholes' are probably formed, not punched, by the mold used to form the core.  Pinholes are characteristic of the Talalay process, but perhaps are being used on some Dunlop processes.  I've seen some Talalay Latex that has the pinholes clear through, and some that have offset pinholes that do not all reach through from both sides.  Point being, not all pinholes on all molds extend all the way through the core.

Conceptually, I prefer one set of holes all the way through... like shown in the vendor pic.  However, it probably does not matter much, functionally.  Partially through holes will still aid ventilation.

Latex seems to vary at the supplier's discretion.  Your supplier got what he got and now he's moving it on to you.  Everyone feels ok with this as long as the product is functionally equivalent.  Which it probably is.  However, his picture of the product is dishonest, imo.

The Latex ball is in your court.

GK

This message was modified Oct 26, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #3 Oct 26, 2012 5:21 PM
Those holes are not "punched". They are there from the molds the latex was poured into. The molds are usually 6 inches thick, i.e., deep, and full of metal prongs to heat the latex to cook it. Hence those holes. Sometimes, whether the holes go all the way thru and which ones do has to do with which "slice" of the 6 inch thick latex core you got. Hope this helps.

I was thinking of ordering one of those toppers from mattresses.net. Does it look nice and high-quality? Is it on the firm or soft side (for a topper)? Is it really 3 inches thick?

Reply #4 Oct 28, 2012 2:02 AM
The holes do not have to go all the way through. It will effect the stiffness of the foam.

Recent Posts