Anyone have any experience with a McRoskey mattress?
Sep 24, 2007 5:42 PM
Has anyone slept on a McRoskey Airflex mattress? Or owned one? How about firmness levels? Anyone try out a FIRM? ( to possibly be used over a rigid foundation rather than their boxsprings.)<BR><BR>I am seriously thinking of biting the bullet and buying an XL Twin mattress only from them. I haven't tried them out yet, but I intend to one of these days. I have heard such GREAT reviews about them. My concern would be with the cotton and if there's a problem of the mattress becoming lumpy. I seem to recall as a child seeing cotton mattresses with lumps on them. Or a hole in it and all the stuffing coming out! But I hear people saying they've slept on the same McRoskey mattress for more than a decade or even two and still feeling comfortable. Is that even possible?? <BR><BR>Well, this is all food for thought. if I can't get my current less-than-a-year old mattress squared away, I might just check out the McRoskey.
Re: Anyone have any experience with a McRoskey mattress?
Reply #1 Sep 24, 2007 6:19 PM
I have read nothing but rave reviews across the net and the (old) forum about McRoskey mattresses,have you seen the video on their webpage about how their mattresses are made?Very interesting.Not sure if they'll be the answer to your sleep woes though.If you are seriously interested they have a sale going on til today (9/24) that gives you $250 off a Twin and $500 off a Queen/King mattress and I know for a fact that you don't need a old mattress for the trade in-at least not mail-order wise.If you are serious I would contact James Christiansen at McRoskey and let him know ASAP to get the discount.Jeff
This message was modified Sep 24, 2007 by JCturboT
Reply #2 Sep 24, 2007 6:32 PM
BeddyBye,Now that I think about it to get the $250 off deal you have to purchase a mattress AND a box spring.Jeff
Reply #3 Sep 24, 2007 9:24 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I had a cal king gentle/firm set and don't think it was great for me.  You can find my posts in the old forum.  I have a friend who has purchased several over the years for herself and family members and they just love them.  You seem to like a firm mattress so one might work well for you.  I think they are overpriced.  You could get bonnell springs and cotton from Vivetique (vivetique.com). They have a dealer locater on their web site.  I was able to see some and they are quite firm also.  Craigslist in the Bay Area has had tons of postings for McRoskeys over the past months.  Maybe you could pick up one for a low price and if it works out get a new one.  I sure wish I had done that.  I would have saved a lot of money and space as I still have it stored.
Reply #4 Sep 24, 2007 10:37 PM
Debbie,I have read just about all the posts regarding Mcroskey in the old forum and most of the posters really liked (even loved) their beds.I also read your posts about not being happy regarding your purchase,as a matter of fact I was going to write you about possibly selling your mattress before I purchased my current latex mattress but I needed a Queen mattress.I know several reviewers had said it took some time getting used to as it doesn't have that comfy pillowtop plush feeling, and it is more of a supportive feeling...do you think that is the case? What specifically did you not like about your mattress?The combo you chose seems to be their #1 seller.Is it really that firm a mattress?Jeff
Reply #5 Sep 28, 2007 2:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01KCuESeuU

Recently added video clip.

Jeff
Reply #6 Sep 28, 2007 8:31 PM
Hi Jeff--I think I've seen at least three companies that claim the Queen sleeps on their mattress!
To answer your questions, I would say it has a plain, austere feel so yes, more supportive.  It felt firm in the store, but more so when delivered.  I was looking for a basic mattress with fewer chemicals and thought I could put a topper or two on it and make it work.  I tried five different toppers and various combos thereof with no luck.  I am on the tall, thin side with little padding so it was just waaay too firm--uncomfortable to lay on, tingly and numb arms and legs in bed and very stiff and sore in the morning.  My son, who is not very particular about what he sleeps on, did not like it either.  He was annoyed at me for making him sleep on it for his opinion.

DianeK came to San Francisco and slept on one at one of the two hotels that had them then.  She is lighter weight than I am and her experience was negative also.  Maybe she'll chime in with her opinion.  Someone posted a picture of their Beckley in the old forum--either confusedbedbug or BeachLover.  It looked similar to the McRoskey.  Aren't they less expensive?  Hope this helps.
Reply #7 Sep 28, 2007 9:52 PM
Yes, I posted some pictures of the Beckley, I have tried to post again but i can't get this thing to paste - anyone know how?

This message was modified Sep 28, 2007 by confusedbedbug
Reply #8 Sep 29, 2007 7:18 AM
<BR> princesspea wrote:
Hi Jeff--I think I've seen at least three companies that claim the Queen sleeps on their mattress!&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;BR&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;To answer your questions, I would say it has a plain, austere feel so yes, more supportive.  It felt firm in the store, but more so when delivered.  I was looking for a basic mattress with fewer chemicals and thought I could put a topper or two on it and make it work.  I tried five different toppers and various combos thereof with no luck.  I am on the tall, thin side with little padding so it was just waaay too firm--uncomfortable to lay on, tingly and numb arms and legs in bed and very stiff and sore in the morning.  My son, who is not very particular about what he sleeps on, did not like it either.  He was annoyed at me for making him sleep on it for his opinion.&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;BR&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;BR&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;DianeK came to San Francisco and slept on one at one of the two hotels that had them then.  She is lighter weight than I am and her experience was negative also.  Maybe she'll chime in with her opinion.  Someone posted a picture of their Beckley in the old forum--either confusedbedbug or BeachLover.  It looked similar to the McRoskey.  Aren't they less expensive?  Hope this helps.&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;BR&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;

Princesspea,
Thanks for the info about the McRoskey.It is almost the exactly same things I hear about the Beckley regarding the firmness issue,feels fine in the store, but too firm overnight.Regarding the cost-the Beckleys are about half the cost of the Mcroskeys.Jeff
This message was modified Sep 29, 2007 by JCturboT

Recent Posts