is 3 inches of latex enough to sleep on?
Apr 25, 2011 10:52 PM
Would a 3 inch latex mattress topper be enough to sleep on if placed on a hard surface, or would I feel the surface through it? If I was to use only this as a mattress, what would be the best firmness?
Re: is 3 inches of latex enough to sleep on?
Reply #1 May 2, 2011 5:08 PM
Hi, I think no one answered your post because you did not give enough info.

We need to know how heavy you are - your height and weight matters.

If you are 5 feet 2" and weigh 110 lb then I'd say 3" of the right kind of latex might be okay for you, though honestly I doubt it.

I weigh about 190 and am 5'10" tall and I am sleeping on about 4" of latex. From the top down:

*1" of Natural Talalay - 32 ILD

*1" of Talalay, maybe Talatech, not sure - around 28-34 ILD.

*about 2" of firm Dunlop (it's supposed to be 32 ILD but it feels more like 36 or 38ILD to me.

A frame like this from IKEA except mine does not have the 5 zones, mine is the same top to bottom, but bowed wood like this. I could not find it at IKEA's site, I think they no longer carry it:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60125969

I cannot tell you how many different springs and layers of latex and memory foam I tried before hitting on this. Some of the long-time forum members here can attest to that! ;-D

I tried latex and memory foam combinations, I tried latex only, memory foam only. I tried it with wool toppers and with Omalon toppers. I tried latex and/or memory foam over different kinds of springs.

In the end I found: Less is more. 4" of Dunlop and Talalay over bowed wood is the best thing I have found!

Reply #2 May 2, 2011 6:07 PM
I doubt it too especially if you are a side sleeper but possibly if you are a light back sleeper.  I actually tried to see over the weekend since I had my bed apart, and the answer is no for me.  I'm a side sleeper and I am 5"10" and weigh 155.
Reply #3 May 3, 2011 11:35 PM
I was wondering about whether a 3" or so latex mattress would work also.  For a skinny person, at what point do you just stop feeling the extra layers of latex underneath?  Height I don't think would matter, since a taller person's weight gets spread out over a bigger area.

Sall what doesn't work about it- do you feel the foundation underneath?  Your height/weight ratio sounds like mine.  What thickness of latex do you like?

jimsocal can you not feel the foundation with only 4"?  Your latex is semi firm though.

Reply #4 May 3, 2011 11:50 PM
Jimsocal,  Congratulations on getting what works for you!  I found that the closest I got to the firm platform surface, the firmer my bed was.  I wanted a fatter mattress than just two layers due to my 6 foot tall headboard.  I had not had a pretty headboard since I was a child and I wanted this when I finally bought myself a solid Maple bedroom set. 

I love my three layer latex mattress but I had to put a Super Firm Latex on both sides in order to make the bed firm enough for me.  If I had only two layers before my 1" topper (need the topper for some cushion for my pressure points), My configuration of two X-Firm layers over the Super Firm layer may have changed.  One one of my sides, I think I moved the Super Firm latex to the middle for a firmer bed on one side of the bed.  I hope I meet someone who likes very firm beds or I will have to buy a softer latex layer for them.  Jimsocal, I just read your configuration again and it sounds like if I only had 4" of latex despite not being quite 5 feet tall, that would be a comfortable configuration for me since I like very firm beds and being so close to the hard platform that the latex is on top of gives great support. 

Adding an extra thought, I may have wanted another 1" softer latex layer on top of your configuration due to being so small so I don't sink in as much but your set-up sounds perfect for firm support and comfort layers for someone of your size.  I am very happy for you.

This message was modified May 3, 2011 by Lynn2006
Reply #5 May 4, 2011 3:37 PM
cmq2009 wrote:

I was wondering about whether a 3" or so latex mattress would work also.  For a skinny person, at what point do you just stop feeling the extra layers of latex underneath?  Height I don't think would matter, since a taller person's weight gets spread out over a bigger area.

Sall what doesn't work about it- do you feel the foundation underneath?  Your height/weight ratio sounds like mine.  What thickness of latex do you like?

jimsocal can you not feel the foundation with only 4"?  Your latex is semi firm though.

I had laid them on the floor and it was on a hard floor with carpeting.  I would think you want at least 6-8" of latex under you with the top 3" being a comfort layer in the soft to super-soft range.   I would start at 8 or 9 inches if starting again.

Something like this:   http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-mattress-arrived/15666-0-1.html

or this:   http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-design-custom-sleep-design/16344-0-1.html

Reply #6 May 8, 2011 4:53 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:

Jimsocal,  Congratulations on getting what works for you!  I found that the closest I got to the firm platform surface, the firmer my bed was.  I wanted a fatter mattress than just two layers due to my 6 foot tall headboard.  I had not had a pretty headboard since I was a child and I wanted this when I finally bought myself a solid Maple bedroom set. 

I love my three layer latex mattress but I had to put a Super Firm Latex on both sides in order to make the bed firm enough for me.  If I had only two layers before my 1" topper (need the topper for some cushion for my pressure points), My configuration of two X-Firm layers over the Super Firm layer may have changed.  One one of my sides, I think I moved the Super Firm latex to the middle for a firmer bed on one side of the bed.  I hope I meet someone who likes very firm beds or I will have to buy a softer latex layer for them.  Jimsocal, I just read your configuration again and it sounds like if I only had 4" of latex despite not being quite 5 feet tall, that would be a comfortable configuration for me since I like very firm beds and being so close to the hard platform that the latex is on top of gives great support. 

Adding an extra thought, I may have wanted another 1" softer latex layer on top of your configuration due to being so small so I don't sink in as much but your set-up sounds perfect for firm support and comfort layers for someone of your size.  I am very happy for you.

Thanks Lynn. 4" of latex might not be enough for everyone but after literally dozens of variations of more and less foam, and various springs, this does work for me. Is it ideal? No. I still wake up with pain sometimes. But it's better than any other combination I have tried over the past several years (and I've tried them ALL! ;-D )

Remember that my foundation is bowed wood, so that adds a little "give". Frankly I am surprised this bowed wood foundation has worked for more than a few months. I thought it would get too soft very quickly under my 190lb body. But so far it is holding up. Maybe if someone is only 5' tall and 100lb, 3" of latex might be enough for them. One just has to try it and find out. Buy 3" and see how it feels. If it's too hard, buy another inch... and so on.

Believe it or not, Lynn (and others) I am probably going to buy a Stearns and Foster pocketed coil mattress next. I have checked a few of them out, studied their one-piece / 2 spring Intellicoil design, and think it makes a lot of sense. And some of their models have latex and a type of memory foam that "may" be better than the common types sold. Some of the new memory foams have a "quicker" response instead of the "sinking in mud" type feeling of Tempurpedic. I think this is an improvement. As to how long it lasts who knows? The springs look pretty good though.

This message was modified May 10, 2011 by jimsocal
Reply #7 May 12, 2018 10:11 PM
This is a fantastic question as most people tend to gravitate either towards a 8" or a 12" mattress, it seems like the value in a thinner mattress is lost. The primary reason is not the disinterest of consumers to try but our beds are all too deep in its expectation of box spring and then the foam/spring core on.
Centuries of human usage has recommended that a tight mattress leads to a better spine and a proper posture. Even to this day, so called lesser developed part of humanity use thinner mattress cores with greater success.. this is not a coincidence that the most common ailment in the US is back pain or its variety.

Coming back to your erudite question, yes you can not only use a topper as a mattress without it feeling like a blanket on a wood. The best choice is ofcourse latex given its sheer volume of material or density to sqft is unparalleled with chemical foam. I would recommend that you go towards a higher ILD or Density like 85 -95 (32-40).
This message was modified May 14, 2018 by a moderator

Recent Posts