Is 20ILD latex soft enough for top layer?
Nov 24, 2007 10:53 PM
Hi all, we've given up on our 2" FBM memo foam topper - it is too soft, and hurts my wife's back. On top of our gel bed, it (and the gel) cause hips to sink in 4-1/2" or so. It's kind of like pulling yourself out of mud. We pulled it off last night, and my wife slept better, but I still find I need something to soften up the gel. I think it's the gel itself - it's just kind of hard. Tonight we'll use an eggshell topper that seemed to help a lot. I am torn between buying a 1" 12ILD PU foam top and 1" of 20ILD latex from FBM. Is latex soft enough as a topper?

Also, haysdb, you've experienced returning foam to FBM. Did you call for a remittance number, or is that necessary? I plan on sending the pink memo topper back.

Re: Is 20ILD latex soft enough for top layer?
Reply #1 Nov 25, 2007 6:08 AM
If you are looking for a good night's sleep, proper sleep posture is everything. Your mattress should help you obtain the proper posture for your position.
20 ILD latex has been used as a comfort layer especially in the thinner layers of latex.  Too low of a compression at that depth would simply allow you to sink through the foam to whatever is underneath it.  I used to use 28 ILD 3" layers for comfort layers with great success.  The 28 ILD added support and help elevate the person off of harder support layers.

Recent Posts