14 or 19 ILD Topper?
Oct 16, 2010 1:51 PM
Greetings, I have been lurking for quite some time and I am at my wits end. I have a coil mattress with latex on top. It is nice and supportive but I am looking for just a little more comfort on top and bit more relief from the pressure on my hips. I want that fluffy, squishy, cloud feeling. Should I get the 14 or 19 ILD latex topper from Sleep Like a Bear? Also, should I get 1" or 2"?  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: 14 or 19 ILD Topper?
Reply #3 Oct 16, 2010 5:59 PM
As you can tell from his thread ... Sandman is the expert in "microlayering" and his thread has some amazingly valuable information in it as he reports his results with different combinations. Just to confirm his suggestion though I would go with 1" of 14. You could always add 1" of  either 14 (plusher) or 19 (progressive support) to that either on an exchange or in addition.

But first as Sandman mentioned, it would be really helpful to know what layers you had on top of your springs ... including any toppers.

Good luck

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 16, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #4 Oct 16, 2010 6:30 PM
I put a one inch 14 ILD from SLAB on top of a "soft" 2" latex topper from Sleepez ( I think it was 22-24 ILD) to get the feel I wanted.  Tried the 2" from Sleepez alone first and it wasn't "soft" enough and was giving pressure on shoulders and I wasn't sinking in enough (155 lbs., 5"10" side sleeper).  My guess is that you would not be happy with the 19ILD (not much different than the "soft"), and the 14ILD in a one inch (like mentioned above, you can add to it or layer under if necessary later).  It does feel a little like memory foam but gives support and doesn't sag like the memory foam I tried before.  I've sworn off memory foam, but to each his own.
Reply #5 Oct 16, 2010 9:59 PM
I have a simialr problem. I have an 8" Natura talalay latex bed. It is fine for my back but it bothers my hip (pressure point). I've been told that the mattress is between 26-32 ILD. I'm wondering if I should be getting a latex topper (and what ILD and thickness) or should I be going to a wool topper? Any thoughts?
Reply #6 Oct 16, 2010 10:21 PM
I have a 32 ILD OMF latex mattress that I added the 2" soft latex from Sleepez and it wasn't soft enough.  Then added 1" SLAB 14ILD latex, and I think I'm there.  32 was too hard, the soft 22ILD, 2" latex didn't get me there so I added the 1" SLAB to soften it up just enough to take away the shoulder pressure.  I'm a believer in the 14 ILD SLAB latex, but I wouldn't try more than 1 inch until you've tried 1" first.   As mentioned above, you can always add another 1" if you feel you need more (or fold it over to test it out) before buying more.  One thing I think I've learned is that if you have back pain (or maybe never), you should start out firm and soften up slowly.  It's easier to go softer than going firmer (maybe you could use boards?...I'll let someone else try that).  I think that's why some folks go back to the floor to start over.
Reply #7 Oct 17, 2010 12:51 PM
Sall, how long have you had your SLAB 14 ILD piece?  Does it still have the new latex smell?  I've had my piece for over 3 months, and it still has a strong latex odor.  I was on the verge of sending it back after 1 month because of this but decided to keep it, hoping it would lose the odor.  I am disappointed that it is still detectable.
Reply #8 Oct 17, 2010 2:28 PM
DianeK wrote:

Sall, how long have you had your SLAB 14 ILD piece?  Does it still have the new latex smell?  I've had my piece for over 3 months, and it still has a strong latex odor.  I was on the verge of sending it back after 1 month because of this but decided to keep it, hoping it would lose the odor.  I am disappointed that it is still detectable.

Only a couple of weeks.  I aired it out about a day and put it on top the Sleepez and covered it all with the Dormier mattress protector.  I don't notice any odor at all now.  It had very little when I got it.  Maybe I'm not as sensitive to latex as you but if there was a smell my wife would be complaining and she's not.  Maybe I got lucky or you got a "bad" one?

Reply #9 Oct 17, 2010 3:16 PM
Sorry, what does ILD stand for?  I went to SLAB website and did a search for toppers and found 1" 2" and 3" Talalay.  Not seeing 14 and 19 ILD... help?
Reply #10 Oct 17, 2010 5:02 PM
Sall wrote:

Only a couple of weeks.  I aired it out about a day and put it on top the Sleepez and covered it all with the Dormier mattress protector.  I don't notice any odor at all now.  It had very little when I got it.  Maybe I'm not as sensitive to latex as you but if there was a smell my wife would be complaining and she's not.  Maybe I got lucky or you got a "bad" one?

Yeah, I must have got a bad one.  Mine is also under a Dormeir protector but I can still smell it.  I experimented with a Flobeds a few years ago and the faint latex smell didn't bother me then so I suspect this SLAB piece is an anomaly.  Wish now that I had returned it when I still could have.

Reply #11 Oct 18, 2010 4:32 AM
I think this question is impossible to answer in that it is going to boil down to personal preference. The difference of 5ILD is almost neglible and when rating them they say the ILD could be "within 3-5 ILD"...

You're just going to have to make your best guess and go for it. I would get 1" and then from that if you need another 1" you can decide to go with another of the one you got or a softer or firmer one.

As for memory foam I am another one who has sworn off of it. I have tried many different densities and thicknesses and even when it works for me, it does not work for long. I've never had a configuration including memory foam that worked for more than a few weeks. It always softens up too much, even the 5lb stuff. I've never tried the 8lb but I have to be skeptical based on the 3,4 and 5lb stuff I've used again and again with lousy results. That said, my wife has used 1" "fake" Venus (5lb) memory foam with success. But I think latex is the smarter way to go.

Reply #12 Feb 22, 2019 10:30 AM
<p> </p> ]
Sorry, what does ILD stand for?&nbsp; I went to SLAB website and did a search for toppers and found 1&quot; 2&quot; and 3&quot; Talalay.&nbsp; Not seeing 14 and 19 ILD... help?
[/quote wrote:
What is SLAB I keep seeing reference to it and when I google SLAB latex etc.. I can't find anything related to mattresses.
I ask because I am looking to find where I can find 14 ILD Talalay for my DIY Mattress build I am about to begin.
Thank you

Recent Posts