Review: Costco Emma w/ Adjustable Base
Feb 27, 2010 3:25 PM
First off, I'd like to thank the many members of this forum that provide a wealth of information for others in their search of the "perfect" mattress.

A little history:  I've had a 360 degree lower back fusion operation and a spinal stimulator implanted.  In addition, I take quite a bit of pain medication on a daily basis to allow me to function.  As you can imagine, I could never get a good night sleep and we've (wifey and I) had two expensive mattresses throughout the last 6 years.  That said, we've spent so much time researching and trying beds at all the mattress stores that it's very difficult to make a decision.

My wife and I liked the Tempurpedic (deluxe and one other model that escapes me), but I didn't want to pay for all the advertisement fees associated with the purchase, i.e., extremely high prices.  After several long months on the journey for another new mattress, we decided to try the Costco Emma w/ adjustable base.  There are several reasons we went w/ Costco... Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's warranty (as good or better than others). 

I called Costco and got the number for South Bay International and Sleep Science.  I had the manufacturer email me relevant bed/base information and had a couple of discussions regarding their manufacturing.  Being that the mattress and base are made in China, I had QC concerns.  I can tell you all that my and my wife's experience so far (have had the bed for 3 weeks) is that this mattress/base is what I'd consider to be outstanding.  I've not had a good night's sleep in many years and for the last 3 weeks  my wife and I have slept right through the night.  I used to get up 2-3 times/night!  In addition, the mattress is very well constructed, has a 20 yr warranty (3/4" sag), and the base has a 20 yr limited warranty.  The base is designed pretty well and appears to be constructed well.  Although the base might not have all the frills of the Leggatt, it's an outstanding value for the money based on my review.

I hope that my review helps in answering any concerns regarding this specific mattress/adjustable base.  I realize that one size doesn't fit all, but this combination has met all my expectations and more (so far). 

Note that I have absolutely no affiliation w/ Costco or any manufacturer, retailer, etc. 

Regards,

Greg

Re: Review: Costco Emma w/ Adjustable Base
Reply #33 Mar 5, 2010 5:35 PM
sandman, would you say the Celeste was firmer then a firm innerspring?

Debating whether to exchnage the Emma for the Celeste.
This message was modified Mar 5, 2010 by Slides
Reply #34 Mar 5, 2010 5:53 PM
Slides wrote:
sandman, would you say the Celeste was firmer then a firm innerspring?

Debating whether to exchnage the Emma for the Celeste.

The firmest innersprings I tried were firmer.  Some cushion firms are probably softer, so I would say it is the same ballpark.

I think the base  foam on the Celeste is pretty firm (at least when new), and I think the latex is dunlop which can be pretty firm as well.   So, a bit too firm on the hips for me, a bit of feeling of bottoming out on the firm base (and possibly latex).  But, it did seem like high quality.  I liked the plush feel of the 5lb. memory foam and the cover.

I think with 1-2" of topper it would have been workable.  I would probably design it a little different with a shorter base (does it really need to be 10"?) and maybe 1-2 more inches of latex of the "right" firmness.

Reply #35 Mar 5, 2010 6:39 PM
Slides wrote:
Curious, how much do you weigh? I wonder my light weight is a factor (130lbs), that is causing only my butt to sink in and not so much the rest of my body. It did get better with a mattress cover on though.

Did you get the Costco latex yet?

6 foot 180 lbs

using the latex now and is the only mattress that allows me to sleep pain free...
Reply #36 Mar 5, 2010 7:09 PM
randys wrote:
6 foot 180 lbs

using the latex now and is the only mattress that allows me to sleep pain free...

Randy,

You have that flippable latex that Costco sold out of a few months ago, right? Do you have the soft side up or the firm? Did you have to use any toppers? I have a friend who's hoping Costco has these again, so I just want to pass on the information to her.

It's wonderful to hear you're pain free!
Congrats,
Natalie
Reply #37 Mar 6, 2010 5:34 AM
sandman wrote:
If you sleep on your side, then a lot of weight is on your hips.  So, that is where you will sink in the most.  That would have been my concern about the Emma - that the foam is not firm enough.  It will probably soften more over time, so your whole body will sink in a bit more.  So, if it is a problem now it will only get worse.  A thick wool topper might make it a bit firmer and help regulate temperature.

Is the sinking in a problem for you or just something that you are not use to?  If you had an old style firm innerspring before, then it will definitely be a different feel that will take some time to get use to.  

It sounds like people that need a lot of support would probably not want this mattress.  That is not a total surprise since it is all foam, with 3" (?) of 4LB. memory foam on top.

Sandman,

The memory foam is  3" at 5 lb density.  I sleep on my side and weigh 217 lbs.  My wife sleeps mostly on her back and she weighs around 125.  Of course I've only had the bed for a few weeks, so can't speak to longetivity, but w/ Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's 20 yr. warranty (warranty states > = 3/4" sag), I think that taking a chance is in one's favor.

Regards,

Greg

This message was modified Mar 6, 2010 by ctgreg
Reply #38 Mar 6, 2010 11:15 AM
ctgreg wrote:
Sandman,

The memory foam is  3" at 5 lb density.  I sleep on my side and weigh 217 lbs.  My wife sleeps mostly on her back and she weighs around 125.  Of course I've only had the bed for a few weeks, so can't speak to longetivity, but w/ Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's 20 yr. warranty (warranty states > = 3/4" sag), I think that taking a chance is in one's favor.

Regards,

Greg

I just looked at the Costco website, and I could not find the density of the memory foam for the 10" Emma.  The sleep science website no longer shows the 10" version. 

How do you know it is 5lb.?  Did they tell you that?  My memory was that it was 4lb., but maybe I remember it wrong.  The 5 lb. memory foam they had on the Celeste seemed pretty good, so hopefully that is what it is.

Reply #39 Mar 6, 2010 9:57 PM
sandman wrote:
I just looked at the Costco website, and I could not find the density of the memory foam for the 10" Emma.  The sleep science website no longer shows the 10" version. 

How do you know it is 5lb.?  Did they tell you that?  My memory was that it was 4lb., but maybe I remember it wrong.  The 5 lb. memory foam they had on the Celeste seemed pretty good, so hopefully that is what it is.

Yes, I confirmed the thickness during discussions I had w/ the manufacturer before I purchased (may also be in literature I have, but I'll have to look).  Below was captured off Sleep Science website for the 8.5" mattress.  .

Core Configuration:

·         3 5/8” of 5lb visco, 12-13 ILD

This message was modified Mar 6, 2010 by ctgreg
Reply #40 Mar 7, 2010 12:37 PM
The adjustable bed on this looks great and I see that they now have a deal on their Dunlop mattress/Queen and this together for $1900+/-     That's got to be a great deal if the mechanical part of this will hold up to normal wear and tear.

I would not want it with memory foam for myself though. I know some of you like it but I do not think memory foam is a good long term primary mattress solution.  But it can be excellent as a topper in the right situation.

Reply #41 Mar 7, 2010 3:47 PM
BillB wrote:
The adjustable bed on this looks great and I see that they now have a deal on their Dunlop mattress/Queen and this together for $1900+/-     That's got to be a great deal if the mechanical part of this will hold up to normal wear and tear.

I would not want it with memory foam for myself though. I know some of you like it but I do not think memory foam is a good long term primary mattress solution.  But it can be excellent as a topper in the right situation.

That is the one made in China right?
Reply #42 Mar 7, 2010 3:50 PM
Natalia wrote:
Randy,

You have that flippable latex that Costco sold out of a few months ago, right? Do you have the soft side up or the firm? Did you have to use any toppers? I have a friend who's hoping Costco has these again, so I just want to pass on the information to her.

It's wonderful to hear you're pain free!
Congrats,
Natalie

started soft side up, flipped to the other side - any topper i try makes it too soft...

Recent Posts