Review: Costco Emma w/ Adjustable Base
Feb 27, 2010 3:25 PM
First off, I'd like to thank the many members of this forum that provide a wealth of information for others in their search of the "perfect" mattress.

A little history:  I've had a 360 degree lower back fusion operation and a spinal stimulator implanted.  In addition, I take quite a bit of pain medication on a daily basis to allow me to function.  As you can imagine, I could never get a good night sleep and we've (wifey and I) had two expensive mattresses throughout the last 6 years.  That said, we've spent so much time researching and trying beds at all the mattress stores that it's very difficult to make a decision.

My wife and I liked the Tempurpedic (deluxe and one other model that escapes me), but I didn't want to pay for all the advertisement fees associated with the purchase, i.e., extremely high prices.  After several long months on the journey for another new mattress, we decided to try the Costco Emma w/ adjustable base.  There are several reasons we went w/ Costco... Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's warranty (as good or better than others). 

I called Costco and got the number for South Bay International and Sleep Science.  I had the manufacturer email me relevant bed/base information and had a couple of discussions regarding their manufacturing.  Being that the mattress and base are made in China, I had QC concerns.  I can tell you all that my and my wife's experience so far (have had the bed for 3 weeks) is that this mattress/base is what I'd consider to be outstanding.  I've not had a good night's sleep in many years and for the last 3 weeks  my wife and I have slept right through the night.  I used to get up 2-3 times/night!  In addition, the mattress is very well constructed, has a 20 yr warranty (3/4" sag), and the base has a 20 yr limited warranty.  The base is designed pretty well and appears to be constructed well.  Although the base might not have all the frills of the Leggatt, it's an outstanding value for the money based on my review.

I hope that my review helps in answering any concerns regarding this specific mattress/adjustable base.  I realize that one size doesn't fit all, but this combination has met all my expectations and more (so far). 

Note that I have absolutely no affiliation w/ Costco or any manufacturer, retailer, etc. 

Regards,

Greg

Re: Review: Costco Emma w/ Adjustable Base
Reply #1 Feb 28, 2010 10:18 AM
Did you purchase this bed on-line or in the store? Is there a web-site I can go to and look at this bed? What is an adjustable base? How much money is this bed? Thanks in advance!
Reply #2 Feb 28, 2010 12:13 PM
I think this may be the bed they are refering to at Costco.  It is the only adjustable bed by sleep science that I see in on the Costco website.   Comes in memory foam or latex.  You would probably have to contact Sleep Science for more details.
Reply #3 Feb 28, 2010 12:45 PM
Debbie wrote:
Did you purchase this bed on-line or in the store? Is there a web-site I can go to and look at this bed? What is an adjustable base? How much money is this bed? Thanks in advance!

Debbie,

The link listed above is correct.  Sleep Science and South Bay website respectively is: http://www.sbsleepscience.com/, http://www.southbayinternational.com

Hope this helps.  BTW, I got my bed when it was on sale.  Price was 2099.

Greg

Reply #4 Feb 28, 2010 12:46 PM
I don't see a "emma" bed either? sure you have that name correct?

Alice

Reply #5 Feb 28, 2010 1:42 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
I don't see a "emma" bed either? sure you have that name correct?

Alice

Not sure what you're referring to.  The memory foam bed in the link that comes w/ the adjustable base is the Emma.  You will not see the Emma on the manufacturer's website as it's specifically made for Costco.  Search Costo under their memory foam and you'll find the Emma mattress.

Greg

Reply #6 Feb 28, 2010 4:27 PM
I think they are sold out of the Emma, which is why you're not seeing it on the website. 
Reply #7 Feb 28, 2010 5:26 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
I think they are sold out of the Emma, which is why you're not seeing it on the website. 

I don't think they're sold out...just looked.  See: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11471576&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|1924&N=4001714&Mo=161&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1924&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=
Reply #8 Feb 28, 2010 6:49 PM
I think the confusion is that they no longer call it the Emma.  It is just the 10" Sleep Science mattress.
Reply #9 Feb 28, 2010 8:55 PM
sandman wrote:
I think the confusion is that they no longer call it the Emma.  It is just the 10" Sleep Science mattress.

That's not correct.  Look under "Hot Buy" mattresses and go to the 10".  Read the description, it clearly states the name of the mattress is Emma.
Reply #10 Feb 28, 2010 10:07 PM
 I stand corrected and what a great price!! So sorry I can't sleep on foam!

Alice

Reply #11 Feb 28, 2010 11:15 PM
ctgreg wrote:
That's not correct.  Look under "Hot Buy" mattresses and go to the 10".  Read the description, it clearly states the name of the mattress is Emma.

I think they no longer use the name Emma in the title, but only in the description.  I do not find it when I search for Emma on the Costco website.
Reply #12 Feb 28, 2010 11:43 PM
ctgreg wrote:
Debbie,

The link listed above is correct.  Sleep Science and South Bay website respectively is: http://www.sbsleepscience.com/, http://www.southbayinternational.com

Hope this helps.  BTW, I got my bed when it was on sale.  Price was 2099.

Greg

You are wrong.

Emma is not adjustable bed and it is not $2099. But $699.

You are not even referring to the correct bed.

You must have bought another mattress which is adjustable.

NOT EMMA.
Reply #13 Mar 1, 2010 7:40 AM
lowbacpain wrote:
You are wrong.

NOT EMMA.

Really??  I'm wrong?  You need to learn how to read!  Please don't tell me what I bought.  Read the description, i.e., all words!  See below.  I've highlighted the words for you!

If  you read my post, I stated that I bought the mattress w/ base for 2099 and in fact, it's on sale again for 2099.   The mattress that comes w/ the adjustable bed is the EMMA...I know, because I bought one.

Item # 436276

King Memory Foam Adjustable Bed

Online price

$2,599.99

**Less               -$500.00

YOUR COST

$2,099.99

Item # 436276

Online price

$2,599.99

YOUR COST

$2,099.99

Memory Foam Mattress:

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” memory foam mattress.  The mattress has 3” of Sleep Science premium visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support.  It also relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.  

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offering 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress.  It also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress.  The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat.   This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience.  The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric. 

Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Mattress Collection
EnlargeShipping Information

Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam King Mattress:

Item # 408063

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407939

Mattress Only

$749.99

Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Cal-King Mattress:

Item # 408085

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407941

Mattress Only

$749.99

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a Visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” Emma Memory Foam Mattress.  The Emma mattress has 3-inches of Sleep Science premium Visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support.  The Emma relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.  

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offers 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress. 

The Emma also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress.  The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat.   This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience.  The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric.  

• Available in King, Cal
Reply #14 Mar 1, 2010 7:46 AM
lowbacpain wrote:
You are wrong.

NOT EMMA.

Here again is the product description.  It's pretty clear to me that it's the Emma mattress!

Limited Time Offer:

$500 discount is reflected in the price.
Valid for orders placed March 1, 2010
through March 31, 2010.
While supplies last.

Item # 436276

Online price

$2,599.99

YOUR COST

$2,099.99

$500 discount is reflected in the price.
Valid for orders placed March 1, 2010
through March 31, 2010.
While supplies last.

Item # 436276

Online price

$2,599.99

YOUR COST

$2,099.99

The Sleep Science adjustable bed combined with a Sleep Science visco memory foam mattress is the perfect sleep system, transforming your bed into your sanctuary.  The Sleep Science adjustable bed is not only designed to provide you with an exceptional sleep experience, but it  provides you with unsurpassed comfort for reading, watching television, working on your laptop computer, or simply relaxing on the pressure relieving, body conforming comfort of a visco memory foam mattress.  Adjustable beds are redefining how all ages relax and rejuvenate for optimal health.

Adjustable Bed  - The adjustable bed is made of re-enforced steel and slips easily into an existing bed frame or can be used as a stand-alone bed.  It features one of the quietest motors on the market and a sleek, stylish, streamlined design.  The adjustable base also has a massage feature that is available on the head, feet or both.  The wireless remote has a simple design with large raised buttons and is backlit for ease of use in the dark.

The adjustable bed has three pre-programmed positions on the wireless remote control:

The Sleep Science adjustable bed combined with a Sleep Science visco memory foam mattress is the perfect sleep system, transforming your bed into your sanctuary.  The Sleep Science adjustable bed is not only designed to provide you with an exceptional sleep experience, but it  provides you with unsurpassed comfort for reading, watching television, working on your laptop computer, or simply relaxing on the pressure relieving, body conforming comfort of a visco memory foam mattress.  Adjustable beds are redefining how all ages relax and rejuvenate for optimal health.

Adjustable Bed  - The adjustable bed is made of re-enforced steel and slips easily into an existing bed frame or can be used as a stand-alone bed.  It features one of the quietest motors on the market and a sleek, stylish, streamlined design.  The adjustable base also has a massage feature that is available on the head, feet or both.  The wireless remote has a simple design with large raised buttons and is backlit for ease of use in the dark.

The adjustable bed has three pre-programmed positions on the wireless remote control:

Zero Gravity (ZG) – The ZG position, allows you to press one button and the bed automatically elevates both the head and feet for a feeling of floating suspension and cradling comfort.

Reading – The reading position automatically lifts the head in order to sit up into a reading position.

Flat – This feature allows you to press one button to return the mattress to a completely flat position.

Emma Mattress

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” Emma memory foam mattress.  The Emma mattress has 3” of Sleep Science premium visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support.  The Emma relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.  

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offering 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress.  The Emma also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress.  The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat.   This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience.  The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric.

Adjustable Bed Frame:

Reply #15 Mar 1, 2010 10:46 AM
W/O the adjustable frame this bed, a queen, was $500 last night. It was that price is was refering to. It looks like a wonderful bed but didn't I read it was very firm?

Alice

Reply #16 Mar 1, 2010 11:18 AM
adjustable foundations, forgot they had those

says 3 pre set positions,

a. does that mean only 3 or can you adjust it anyway you want?
b. for the king are the two sides of the bed separately controlled by two separate controllers allowing one side to be in a different position than the other side?

thanks.....................

(i just cancelled my emma as they were having hard time getting them anyway, i figure i will sleep on the latex till summer to see if it is hotter than it is now and if it is I will return and get emma)
Reply #17 Mar 1, 2010 12:33 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
W/O the adjustable frame this bed, a queen, was $500 last night. It was that price is was refering to. It looks like a wonderful bed but didn't I read it was very firm?

Alice

Alice,

I'm not sure if it's too hard, but that's based on my comfort level.  It's similar in hardness to a couple of the Tempurpedic models.  I've laid on the TP many times and I believe it's similar to the deluxe in hardness.  Hope this helps.

Greg

Reply #18 Mar 1, 2010 12:37 PM
randys wrote:
adjustable foundations, forgot they had those

says 3 pre set positions,

a. does that mean only 3 or can you adjust it anyway you want?
b. for the king are the two sides of the bed separately controlled by two separate controllers allowing one side to be in a different position than the other side?

thanks.....................

(i just cancelled my emma as they were having hard time getting them anyway, i figure i will sleep on the latex till summer to see if it is hotter than it is now and if it is I will return and get emma)

There's only one preset (zero gravity) and you can adust the head/leg in any position you want.  The King has two separate controllers (one for each side). 
Reply #19 Mar 2, 2010 2:35 PM
Hi Greg,

Congrats on your purchase and review! I'm so happy you found what works for you.

IMHO, I think you got a great deal!  Even if you had gone with more expensive latex bed Costco offers as an option, the price on this is fantastic. Of course great deals are all dependent on whether you love what you bought, and since you do, it is a awesome savings!

Comparing pricing only for my beds:

Tempur-pedic Cloud (which I'm returning) with Ergomotion 400 adjustable base - Queen size:

TP Cloud   1999.00
Ergo Base 1200.00
Total          3199.00   Foam and adjustable

Costco price 1499.99

FloBed Natural Talalay Deluxe with Ergomotion 400 Adjustable base - Queen size:

Flobed        2449.00
Ergo Base  1200.00
Total           3649.00   Latex and adjustable

Costco price 1899.99

I'm very happy with my FloBed and Ergo, so for me, my money was also well spent, but it is a shock to see it in actual numbers isn't it?

So many forum members shop Costco mattresses, so please keep us updated,
Natalie
This message was modified Mar 2, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #20 Mar 2, 2010 5:34 PM
ctgreg wrote:
Really??  I'm wrong?  You need to learn how to read!  Please don't tell me what I bought.  Read the description, i.e., all words!  See below.  I've highlighted the words for you!

If  you read my post, I stated that I bought the mattress w/ base for 2099 and in fact, it's on sale again for 2099.   The mattress that comes w/ the adjustable bed is the EMMA...I know, because I bought one.

Item # 436276

Online price

$2,599.99

YOUR COST

$2,099.99

Item # 436276

Online price

$2,599.99

YOUR COST

$2,099.99

Memory Foam Mattress:

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” memory foam mattress.  The mattress has 3” of Sleep Science premium visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support.  It also relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.  

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offering 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress.  It also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress.  The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat.   This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience.  The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric. 

Enlarge
Shipping Information

Item # 408063

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407939

Mattress Only

$749.99

Item # 408085

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407941

Mattress Only

$749.99

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a Visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” Emma Memory Foam Mattress.  The Emma mattress has 3-inches of Sleep Science premium Visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support.  The Emma relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.  

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offers 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress. 

The Emma also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress.  The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat.   This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience.  The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric.  

• Available in King, Cal

Then you did not get a good deal as king size emma with foundation is only $749.99!!!!!! 
an adjustable adds 1350$ to it!!!!! NOT WORTH IT.
Reply #21 Mar 2, 2010 6:14 PM
Lowbacpain:  The adjustable base adds considerably to the price of a bed.  For YOU it may not be worth it, but for OTHERS it is. 
Reply #22 Mar 2, 2010 7:08 PM
My two cents as an adjustable base owner, it has saved me from pain more nights that I can count. Added bonus... no more straining when changing the bed. Just raise the head and foot and fitted sheets are a breeze to put on. 

Best to all,
Natalie
This message was modified Mar 2, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #23 Mar 3, 2010 9:27 AM
lowbacpain wrote:

Item # 436276

Online price

$2,599.99

YOUR COST

$2,099.99

Memory Foam Mattress:

Enlarge
Shipping Information

Item # 408063

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407939

Mattress Only

$749.99

Item # 408085

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407941

Mattress Only

$749.99

• Available in King, Cal

Then you did not get a good deal as king size emma with foundation is only $749.99!!!!!! 

What are you trying to convey?  It's apparent that you have no clue what you're talking about regarding what kind of deal I got.  It's well worth it!  2099 for bed and mattress....what's not worth it? 

Please don't interject your nonsense and comments that offer no value to this thread other than trying to belittle me.  It shows your intelligence!  Keep your worthless comments to yourself!

Reply #24 Mar 4, 2010 6:17 PM
For thread starter, do you find the Emma makes your butt sink in a little too much?
Reply #25 Mar 4, 2010 6:48 PM
ctgreg wrote:

Memory Foam Mattress:

Enlarge
Shipping Information

Item # 408063

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407939

Mattress Only

$749.99

Item # 408085

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407941

Mattress Only

$749.99

• Available in King, Cal

What are you trying to convey?  It's apparent that you have no clue what you're talking about regarding what kind of deal I got.  It's well worth it!  2099 for bed and mattress....what's not worth it? 

Please don't interject your nonsense and comments that offer no value to this thread other than trying to belittle me.  It shows your intelligence!  Keep your worthless comments to yourself!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me reply to you little man. Let me say those insults that you made to me apply to you. It is you who is worthless. This foam is worthless compared to tempepedic.  I think you might be working for this company and hence advertising for this worthless polyurethane foam which will sink within 1 year to the ground. good for you. And that shows your intelligence in getting this crappy bed called emma which will be a scrap within a short time.

This message was modified Mar 4, 2010 by lowbacpain
Reply #26 Mar 5, 2010 3:48 AM
lowbacpain wrote:

• Available in King, Cal

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me reply to you little man. Let me say those insults that you made to me apply to you. It is you who is worthless. This foam is worthless compared to tempepedic.  I think you might be working for this company and hence advertising for this worthless polyurethane foam which will sink within 1 year to the ground. good for you. And that shows your intelligence in getting this crappy bed called emma which will be a scrap within a short time.

Ok loser, whatever you say!  Anytime you want to compare IQ and degrees, just let me know.  You really show your intelligence by knocking a bed you know nothing about.  BTW asswipe, I work for the Fed Govt and I'm a physicist...who's the dumbass??  I'm done replying to your ignorance.  If you want to discuss off line, my email is available, unlike  yours.

Reply #27 Mar 5, 2010 11:44 AM
Slides wrote:
For thread starter, do you find the Emma makes your butt sink in a little too much?

So, anyone else have this problem with the Emma?
Reply #28 Mar 5, 2010 11:58 AM
Slides wrote:
So, anyone else have this problem with the Emma?

i had it and didnt have that problem at all, so you may want to send it back for another one and see...

the quality of the emma compared to temp is less for sure as i have had several temps and the emma

and yet

the one that didnt give me back pain was the emma, go figure...
Reply #29 Mar 5, 2010 1:45 PM
randys wrote:
i had it and didnt have that problem at all, so you may want to send it back for another one and see...

the quality of the emma compared to temp is less for sure as i have had several temps and the emma

and yet

the one that didnt give me back pain was the emma, go figure...

Curious, how much do you weigh? I wonder my light weight is a factor (130lbs), that is causing only my butt to sink in and not so much the rest of my body. It did get better with a mattress cover on though.

Did you get the Costco latex yet?
Reply #30 Mar 5, 2010 2:31 PM
Slides wrote:
Curious, how much do you weigh? I wonder my light weight is a factor (130lbs), that is causing only my butt to sink in and not so much the rest of my body. It did get better with a mattress cover on though.

If you sleep on your side, then a lot of weight is on your hips.  So, that is where you will sink in the most.  That would have been my concern about the Emma - that the foam is not firm enough.  It will probably soften more over time, so your whole body will sink in a bit more.  So, if it is a problem now it will only get worse.  A thick wool topper might make it a bit firmer and help regulate temperature.

Is the sinking in a problem for you or just something that you are not use to?  If you had an old style firm innerspring before, then it will definitely be a different feel that will take some time to get use to.  

It sounds like people that need a lot of support would probably not want this mattress.  That is not a total surprise since it is all foam, with 3" (?) of 4LB. memory foam on top.

Reply #31 Mar 5, 2010 3:00 PM
This is my first memory foam and for me the sinking is seemingly more obvious when lying on my back. I don't know yet if this is just something I need to get used to or if this will cause pain as it gets softer. I can certainly see this bed causing some problems depending on how well my body adjusts coming from an s-brand sagging mattress.

Would the Celeste, which has a memory foam top layer over latex cause the same issue?
Reply #32 Mar 5, 2010 4:51 PM
I actually tried the Celeste and it is pretty firm.  It has 5lb memory foam (only 2") and 2" of latex.  I think it is the firmest they make.  But it was too firm for me.  I did not give it long to break in, so not totally sure I would have never liked it.  It also was very thick (14"), so I did not want to make it thicker with a topper.  Eventually, I decided that I wanted customizable latex or a customizable innerspring (via surgery).
Reply #33 Mar 5, 2010 5:35 PM
sandman, would you say the Celeste was firmer then a firm innerspring?

Debating whether to exchnage the Emma for the Celeste.
This message was modified Mar 5, 2010 by Slides
Reply #34 Mar 5, 2010 5:53 PM
Slides wrote:
sandman, would you say the Celeste was firmer then a firm innerspring?

Debating whether to exchnage the Emma for the Celeste.

The firmest innersprings I tried were firmer.  Some cushion firms are probably softer, so I would say it is the same ballpark.

I think the base  foam on the Celeste is pretty firm (at least when new), and I think the latex is dunlop which can be pretty firm as well.   So, a bit too firm on the hips for me, a bit of feeling of bottoming out on the firm base (and possibly latex).  But, it did seem like high quality.  I liked the plush feel of the 5lb. memory foam and the cover.

I think with 1-2" of topper it would have been workable.  I would probably design it a little different with a shorter base (does it really need to be 10"?) and maybe 1-2 more inches of latex of the "right" firmness.

Reply #35 Mar 5, 2010 6:39 PM
Slides wrote:

6 foot 180 lbs

using the latex now and is the only mattress that allows me to sleep pain free...
Reply #36 Mar 5, 2010 7:09 PM
randys wrote:
6 foot 180 lbs

using the latex now and is the only mattress that allows me to sleep pain free...

Randy,

You have that flippable latex that Costco sold out of a few months ago, right? Do you have the soft side up or the firm? Did you have to use any toppers? I have a friend who's hoping Costco has these again, so I just want to pass on the information to her.

It's wonderful to hear you're pain free!
Congrats,
Natalie
Reply #37 Mar 6, 2010 5:34 AM
sandman wrote:
If you sleep on your side, then a lot of weight is on your hips.  So, that is where you will sink in the most.  That would have been my concern about the Emma - that the foam is not firm enough.  It will probably soften more over time, so your whole body will sink in a bit more.  So, if it is a problem now it will only get worse.  A thick wool topper might make it a bit firmer and help regulate temperature.

Is the sinking in a problem for you or just something that you are not use to?  If you had an old style firm innerspring before, then it will definitely be a different feel that will take some time to get use to.  

It sounds like people that need a lot of support would probably not want this mattress.  That is not a total surprise since it is all foam, with 3" (?) of 4LB. memory foam on top.

Sandman,

The memory foam is  3" at 5 lb density.  I sleep on my side and weigh 217 lbs.  My wife sleeps mostly on her back and she weighs around 125.  Of course I've only had the bed for a few weeks, so can't speak to longetivity, but w/ Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's 20 yr. warranty (warranty states > = 3/4" sag), I think that taking a chance is in one's favor.

Regards,

Greg

This message was modified Mar 6, 2010 by ctgreg
Reply #38 Mar 6, 2010 11:15 AM
ctgreg wrote:
Sandman,

The memory foam is  3" at 5 lb density.  I sleep on my side and weigh 217 lbs.  My wife sleeps mostly on her back and she weighs around 125.  Of course I've only had the bed for a few weeks, so can't speak to longetivity, but w/ Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's 20 yr. warranty (warranty states > = 3/4" sag), I think that taking a chance is in one's favor.

Regards,

Greg

I just looked at the Costco website, and I could not find the density of the memory foam for the 10" Emma.  The sleep science website no longer shows the 10" version. 

How do you know it is 5lb.?  Did they tell you that?  My memory was that it was 4lb., but maybe I remember it wrong.  The 5 lb. memory foam they had on the Celeste seemed pretty good, so hopefully that is what it is.

Reply #39 Mar 6, 2010 9:57 PM
sandman wrote:
I just looked at the Costco website, and I could not find the density of the memory foam for the 10" Emma.  The sleep science website no longer shows the 10" version. 

How do you know it is 5lb.?  Did they tell you that?  My memory was that it was 4lb., but maybe I remember it wrong.  The 5 lb. memory foam they had on the Celeste seemed pretty good, so hopefully that is what it is.

Yes, I confirmed the thickness during discussions I had w/ the manufacturer before I purchased (may also be in literature I have, but I'll have to look).  Below was captured off Sleep Science website for the 8.5" mattress.  .

Core Configuration:

·         3 5/8” of 5lb visco, 12-13 ILD

This message was modified Mar 6, 2010 by ctgreg
Reply #40 Mar 7, 2010 12:37 PM
The adjustable bed on this looks great and I see that they now have a deal on their Dunlop mattress/Queen and this together for $1900+/-     That's got to be a great deal if the mechanical part of this will hold up to normal wear and tear.

I would not want it with memory foam for myself though. I know some of you like it but I do not think memory foam is a good long term primary mattress solution.  But it can be excellent as a topper in the right situation.

Reply #41 Mar 7, 2010 3:47 PM
BillB wrote:
The adjustable bed on this looks great and I see that they now have a deal on their Dunlop mattress/Queen and this together for $1900+/-     That's got to be a great deal if the mechanical part of this will hold up to normal wear and tear.

I would not want it with memory foam for myself though. I know some of you like it but I do not think memory foam is a good long term primary mattress solution.  But it can be excellent as a topper in the right situation.

That is the one made in China right?
Reply #42 Mar 7, 2010 3:50 PM
Natalia wrote:
Randy,

You have that flippable latex that Costco sold out of a few months ago, right? Do you have the soft side up or the firm? Did you have to use any toppers? I have a friend who's hoping Costco has these again, so I just want to pass on the information to her.

It's wonderful to hear you're pain free!
Congrats,
Natalie

started soft side up, flipped to the other side - any topper i try makes it too soft...
Reply #43 Mar 7, 2010 4:38 PM
randys wrote:
started soft side up, flipped to the other side - any topper i try makes it too soft...

A bit vague, any topper?  What toppers?  Is it too firm then without?
Reply #44 Mar 8, 2010 11:06 AM
I found the Emma too hot and with not enough support for me, especially when it got hot. I will be returning mine.
Reply #45 Mar 8, 2010 6:44 PM
Leo3 wrote:
A bit vague, any topper?  What toppers?  Is it too firm then without?

i tried a 3 inch and one inch topper, foam...both made the feel too soft
Reply #46 Mar 8, 2010 6:45 PM
Slides wrote:
I found the Emma too hot and with not enough support for me, especially when it got hot. I will be returning mine.

do you live in warm temperature area?  funny, not only was it not hot for me it was cold...amazing how different people see these things differently
Reply #47 Mar 8, 2010 7:38 PM
randys wrote:
do you live in warm temperature area?  funny, not only was it not hot for me it was cold...amazing how different people see these things differently

Well, it was a little warmer these past few days - 35 to 55 Celsius, but I don't live in a hot climate (East coast - NY tristate area). But the heating at my place can be a little too warm, but I know it gets pretty hot during the summer. It was just the feeling of sinking into the foam that waking up a couple of times during the night to open the fan, then turn off the fan etc. that bugged me.

Plus when it got hot, I sunk in even more, so did not like that at all. It also made me realize I'm pretty sensitive to a hot mattress. Live and learn.
Reply #48 Nov 23, 2010 2:54 AM
ctgreg wrote:

First off, I'd like to thank the many members of this forum that provide a wealth of information for others in their search of the "perfect" mattress.

A little history:  I've had a 360 degree lower back fusion operation and a spinal stimulator implanted.  In addition, I take quite a bit of pain medication on a daily basis to allow me to function.  As you can imagine, I could never get a good night sleep and we've (wifey and I) had two expensive mattresses throughout the last 6 years.  That said, we've spent so much time researching and trying beds at all the mattress stores that it's very difficult to make a decision.

My wife and I liked the Tempurpedic (deluxe and one other model that escapes me), but I didn't want to pay for all the advertisement fees associated with the purchase, i.e., extremely high prices.  After several long months on the journey for another new mattress, we decided to try the Costco Emma w/ adjustable base.  There are several reasons we went w/ Costco... Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's warranty (as good or better than others). 

I called Costco and got the number for South Bay International and Sleep Science.  I had the manufacturer email me relevant bed/base information and had a couple of discussions regarding their manufacturing.  Being that the mattress and base are made in China, I had QC concerns.  I can tell you all that my and my wife's experience so far (have had the bed for 3 weeks) is that this mattress/base is what I'd consider to be outstanding.  I've not had a good night's sleep in many years and for the last 3 weeks  my wife and I have slept right through the night.  I used to get up 2-3 times/night!  In addition, the mattress is very well constructed, has a 20 yr warranty (3/4" sag), and the base has a 20 yr limited warranty.  The base is designed pretty well and appears to be constructed well.  Although the base might not have all the frills of the Leggatt, it's an outstanding value for the money based on my review.

I hope that my review helps in answering any concerns regarding this specific mattress/adjustable base.  I realize that one size doesn't fit all, but this combination has met all my expectations and more (so far). 

Note that I have absolutely no affiliation w/ Costco or any manufacturer, retailer, etc. 

Regards,

Greg

This is very helpful - thank you for sharing! Can you share more about what you learned from your research regarding the materials used? I've heard that sometimes, there are unsafe chemicals in the materials that can be bad for your health. Any information on that?

Reply #49 Nov 23, 2010 4:03 PM
I know it wasn't me you asked but you should probably know that this is 3 LB memory foam as you can see here http://www.southbayinternational.com/ss_emma.php In the thread is is referred to as both 4 LB and 5 LB both of which are not correct

Sleep science does make some 5 LB memory foam mattresses http://www.sbsleepscience.com/product.php?cid=1 but the Emma isn't one of them. The OP is mistaken in his belief that the Emma is 5 LB. It is quite likely that 3 LB memory foam will break down relatively quickly. It would also be fairly soft.

They own their own Chinese factory http://www.southbayinternational.com/facilities.php which allows them to build their mattresses at less cost.

While it is on sale again at Costco and is probably less than you would find it elsewhere and they do have a great return policy... it's not likely it will last you very long and the low price really does reflect its quality.

The Emma is 10" and $599 in KIng. This one at Sams Club is 12" for $542.68 and also has 3" of 3 LB memory foam but it is Aerus which is a higher quality and more breathable foam. They also have an 8" version for quite a bit less which I would choose over both of them. All of these would probably also start to break down sooner than a 4 or 5 LB foam though.

If I was ordering a mattress that I wanted to last for a while, I would almost certainly use at least 4 LB good quality memory foam and probably 5 LB ... at least for the majority of it. 3 LB may be great for an inexpensive topper or a thinner layer in a mattress but as the main memory foam in a mattress, I would consider it a "throwaway" meaning I had no expectations that it would last for longer than months or at best a few years. On this basis it may still be good value if that's what someone was looking for and the price they paid reflected that.

Phoenix

Reply #50 Jun 15, 2011 5:24 PM
Greg,

The 10inch sleep science mattress with adjustable base is back in Costco on sale for 2099 and I'm considering buying it for our home. I came upon all the reviews here. And wanted to check back in with you to see how you like the mattress now that its been more than  year after your review. Have you had any problems with the mattress?

Hope to hear back from  you soon - your input is surely appreciated!

Recent Posts