Review: Costco Emma w/ Adjustable Base
Feb 27, 2010 3:25 PM
First off, I'd like to thank the many members of this forum that provide a wealth of information for others in their search of the "perfect" mattress.

A little history:  I've had a 360 degree lower back fusion operation and a spinal stimulator implanted.  In addition, I take quite a bit of pain medication on a daily basis to allow me to function.  As you can imagine, I could never get a good night sleep and we've (wifey and I) had two expensive mattresses throughout the last 6 years.  That said, we've spent so much time researching and trying beds at all the mattress stores that it's very difficult to make a decision.

My wife and I liked the Tempurpedic (deluxe and one other model that escapes me), but I didn't want to pay for all the advertisement fees associated with the purchase, i.e., extremely high prices.  After several long months on the journey for another new mattress, we decided to try the Costco Emma w/ adjustable base.  There are several reasons we went w/ Costco... Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's warranty (as good or better than others). 

I called Costco and got the number for South Bay International and Sleep Science.  I had the manufacturer email me relevant bed/base information and had a couple of discussions regarding their manufacturing.  Being that the mattress and base are made in China, I had QC concerns.  I can tell you all that my and my wife's experience so far (have had the bed for 3 weeks) is that this mattress/base is what I'd consider to be outstanding.  I've not had a good night's sleep in many years and for the last 3 weeks  my wife and I have slept right through the night.  I used to get up 2-3 times/night!  In addition, the mattress is very well constructed, has a 20 yr warranty (3/4" sag), and the base has a 20 yr limited warranty.  The base is designed pretty well and appears to be constructed well.  Although the base might not have all the frills of the Leggatt, it's an outstanding value for the money based on my review.

I hope that my review helps in answering any concerns regarding this specific mattress/adjustable base.  I realize that one size doesn't fit all, but this combination has met all my expectations and more (so far). 

Note that I have absolutely no affiliation w/ Costco or any manufacturer, retailer, etc. 

Regards,

Greg

Re: Review: Costco Emma w/ Adjustable Base
Reply #23 Mar 3, 2010 9:27 AM
lowbacpain wrote:

Item # 436276

King Memory Foam Adjustable Bed

King Memory Foam Adjustable Bed

Online price

$2,599.99

**Less               -$500.00

YOUR COST

$2,099.99

Memory Foam Mattress:

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” memory foam mattress.  The mattress has 3” of Sleep Science premium visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support.  It also relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.  

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offering 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress.  It also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress.  The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat.   This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience.  The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric. 

Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Mattress Collection

Enlarge
Shipping Information

Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam King Mattress:

Item # 408063

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407939

Mattress Only

$749.99

Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Cal-King Mattress:

Item # 408085

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407941

Mattress Only

$749.99

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a Visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” Emma Memory Foam Mattress.  The Emma mattress has 3-inches of Sleep Science premium Visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support.  The Emma relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.  

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offers 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress. 

The Emma also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress.  The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat.   This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience.  The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric.  

• Available in King, Cal

Then you did not get a good deal as king size emma with foundation is only $749.99!!!!!! 
an adjustable adds 1350$ to it!!!!! NOT WORTH IT.

What are you trying to convey?  It's apparent that you have no clue what you're talking about regarding what kind of deal I got.  It's well worth it!  2099 for bed and mattress....what's not worth it? 

Please don't interject your nonsense and comments that offer no value to this thread other than trying to belittle me.  It shows your intelligence!  Keep your worthless comments to yourself!

Reply #24 Mar 4, 2010 6:17 PM
For thread starter, do you find the Emma makes your butt sink in a little too much?
Reply #25 Mar 4, 2010 6:48 PM
ctgreg wrote:

Memory Foam Mattress:

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” memory foam mattress.  The mattress has 3” of Sleep Science premium visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support.  It also relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.  

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offering 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress.  It also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress.  The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat.   This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience.  The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric. 

Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Mattress Collection

Enlarge
Shipping Information

Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam King Mattress:

Item # 408063

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407939

Mattress Only

$749.99

Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Cal-King Mattress:

Item # 408085

Mattress with Foundation

$1,149.99

Item # 407941

Mattress Only

$749.99

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a Visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” Emma Memory Foam Mattress.  The Emma mattress has 3-inches of Sleep Science premium Visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support.  The Emma relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.  

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offers 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress. 

The Emma also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress.  The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat.   This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience.  The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric.  

• Available in King, Cal

Then you did not get a good deal as king size emma with foundation is only $749.99!!!!!! 

What are you trying to convey?  It's apparent that you have no clue what you're talking about regarding what kind of deal I got.  It's well worth it!  2099 for bed and mattress....what's not worth it? 

Please don't interject your nonsense and comments that offer no value to this thread other than trying to belittle me.  It shows your intelligence!  Keep your worthless comments to yourself!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me reply to you little man. Let me say those insults that you made to me apply to you. It is you who is worthless. This foam is worthless compared to tempepedic.  I think you might be working for this company and hence advertising for this worthless polyurethane foam which will sink within 1 year to the ground. good for you. And that shows your intelligence in getting this crappy bed called emma which will be a scrap within a short time.

This message was modified Mar 4, 2010 by lowbacpain
Reply #26 Mar 5, 2010 3:48 AM
lowbacpain wrote:

• Available in King, Cal

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me reply to you little man. Let me say those insults that you made to me apply to you. It is you who is worthless. This foam is worthless compared to tempepedic.  I think you might be working for this company and hence advertising for this worthless polyurethane foam which will sink within 1 year to the ground. good for you. And that shows your intelligence in getting this crappy bed called emma which will be a scrap within a short time.

Ok loser, whatever you say!  Anytime you want to compare IQ and degrees, just let me know.  You really show your intelligence by knocking a bed you know nothing about.  BTW asswipe, I work for the Fed Govt and I'm a physicist...who's the dumbass??  I'm done replying to your ignorance.  If you want to discuss off line, my email is available, unlike  yours.

Reply #27 Mar 5, 2010 11:44 AM
Slides wrote:
For thread starter, do you find the Emma makes your butt sink in a little too much?

So, anyone else have this problem with the Emma?
Reply #28 Mar 5, 2010 11:58 AM
Slides wrote:
So, anyone else have this problem with the Emma?

i had it and didnt have that problem at all, so you may want to send it back for another one and see...

the quality of the emma compared to temp is less for sure as i have had several temps and the emma

and yet

the one that didnt give me back pain was the emma, go figure...
Reply #29 Mar 5, 2010 1:45 PM
randys wrote:
i had it and didnt have that problem at all, so you may want to send it back for another one and see...

the quality of the emma compared to temp is less for sure as i have had several temps and the emma

and yet

the one that didnt give me back pain was the emma, go figure...

Curious, how much do you weigh? I wonder my light weight is a factor (130lbs), that is causing only my butt to sink in and not so much the rest of my body. It did get better with a mattress cover on though.

Did you get the Costco latex yet?
Reply #30 Mar 5, 2010 2:31 PM
Slides wrote:
Curious, how much do you weigh? I wonder my light weight is a factor (130lbs), that is causing only my butt to sink in and not so much the rest of my body. It did get better with a mattress cover on though.

Did you get the Costco latex yet?

If you sleep on your side, then a lot of weight is on your hips.  So, that is where you will sink in the most.  That would have been my concern about the Emma - that the foam is not firm enough.  It will probably soften more over time, so your whole body will sink in a bit more.  So, if it is a problem now it will only get worse.  A thick wool topper might make it a bit firmer and help regulate temperature.

Is the sinking in a problem for you or just something that you are not use to?  If you had an old style firm innerspring before, then it will definitely be a different feel that will take some time to get use to.  

It sounds like people that need a lot of support would probably not want this mattress.  That is not a total surprise since it is all foam, with 3" (?) of 4LB. memory foam on top.

Reply #31 Mar 5, 2010 3:00 PM
This is my first memory foam and for me the sinking is seemingly more obvious when lying on my back. I don't know yet if this is just something I need to get used to or if this will cause pain as it gets softer. I can certainly see this bed causing some problems depending on how well my body adjusts coming from an s-brand sagging mattress.

Would the Celeste, which has a memory foam top layer over latex cause the same issue?
Reply #32 Mar 5, 2010 4:51 PM
I actually tried the Celeste and it is pretty firm.  It has 5lb memory foam (only 2") and 2" of latex.  I think it is the firmest they make.  But it was too firm for me.  I did not give it long to break in, so not totally sure I would have never liked it.  It also was very thick (14"), so I did not want to make it thicker with a topper.  Eventually, I decided that I wanted customizable latex or a customizable innerspring (via surgery).

Recent Posts