Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco
Feb 7, 2009 1:41 AM
I couldn't find much information online about this mattress, but since it was from Costco I decided to give it a shot. I figured I'd give a little review of it so far since no one seems to have purchased one so far.

The mattress is currently on sale for $1099 (queen size, normal price $1399) including foundation.

These are the specs from Costco:
  • 13” pillow top mattress fits the dimensions of your bed
  • Limited Warranty: 20 years
  • Cover is bamboo fabric consisting of three layers.  This fabric is 300g/m2, the percentage of bamboo is 40%, nylon is 40%, polyester is 20%.
  • Cover top layer: 100% bamboo fabric
  • Middle layer: 100% nylon
  • Bottom layer: 100% polyester. 
  • Micro-suede cover sides are 100% polyester
  • Mattress core top layer: 3 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Second layer: 3-5/8 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Third layer: ½ inch air barrier
  • Fourth Layer: The Wedge Patented Edge Support System
  • Base layer: 6” Air Channel Base, dual density, dual IFD, relief cut urethane core
  • Queen mattress dimensions:
    60” W x 80” D x 13” H
    Weight: 196 lbs.

This is my first all foam mattress (previous was a "S" spring bed with a 3" foam topper) and so far (three nights) it has been fantastic. I'm a big guy (280lbs 5' 9") and really haven't had any problems sinking into all that foam (side and stomach sleeper), although it is a little harder getting in and out of the bed!

The mattress seems high quality and feels similar to the Temper-Pedic I tried. So far it doesn't sleep too hot for me.

Avoid the matching foundation. It comes fully assembled and is made of steel with plastic panels for support. While it works, I'm concerned about the cheap plastic support panels. For the price (about $200 extra for the matching set) I feel you can do better buying a foundation locally.

Delivery consisted of two large boxes, one for the mattress and one with the pre-assembled foundation. The manufacture date on my mattress was November 2008.

Assembly was easy, although the mattress alone weighs in at 132 pounds! After removing the plastic it only took about 30 minutes for it to fully decompress. Thankfully, the mattress is sealed in the zipper cover at the factory before packing! I thought I was going to have to install the cover myself! They make a big deal about the cover being made of "bamboo" fabric but it seemed just like a nice and soft cloth cover to me. You need to make sure that the cover doesn't get soiled or the bed warranty is voided!

Darren
This message was modified Feb 7, 2009 by dkcs
Re: Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco
Reply #2 Feb 8, 2009 2:43 PM
The description sounds like a lot of high quality foam material for the price.

I didn't see any Customer Ratings at the Costo site.

We're always looking for a cost effective alternative to our prized and very comfy waterbed so I guess our main curiosity is how well the materials remain in a like new status after a couple of months and then between six months and a year.

Best of Luck - hope the mattress retains its' comfort and structure.

Reply #3 Feb 8, 2009 11:29 PM
I plan on keeping this post updated as time goes on, with my weight the foam will be getting a good workout!

This foam bed is great so far but I still want to try a latex mattress sometime.

I do have a couple of the latex "ultimate" pillows that Costco sells on the way to try those out.

I used to love my old water bed from years ago, unfortunately they fell out of favor and now it's difficult to get a complete set up. Around here (Los Angeles) I remember when we used to have several locations that sold nothing but water beds, now there aren't any to be found! Although, I did find that Sams Club still has a few water beds available online (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=6932). Of course these have gone way up in price like everything else!

Darren

This message was modified Feb 8, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #4 Feb 8, 2009 11:34 PM
Thanks for the pic Sager!
Reply #5 Feb 12, 2009 5:57 PM
I'm also looking at this same mattress from Costco.  I'm amazed & disappointed how little information or reviews are available on-line.  I'd like to hear more feedback from DKCS and others.

Also, I called the 800 number to speak with somebody.  They told me the Sleep Science Ara is actually a "name brand" mattress under a "private label".  But they couldn't tell me the brand.  Anybody have any thoughts on this ?

Reply #6 Feb 13, 2009 1:04 AM
This is the website for the manufacture: http://www.sbsleepscience.com/

The mattress is imported from China...  You really can't go wrong trying this mattress out if you purchase from Costco!

So far it is firmer than we thought it would be but still very comfortable!

The ultimate latex pillows arrived and are somewhat disappointing for the price ($80 each King size). The wool lining is just a thin cover over a soft Talalay latex pillow.

Darren
This message was modified Feb 13, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #7 Feb 26, 2009 1:50 AM
Just a little update...

The mattress is still working out well for us. It is a little firmer than we expected! I'm thinking about placing a 2" soft latex topper on it to give it a little "springy" feel and maybe soften it up some. Still doesn't sleep hot which may be attributed to the mattress protector we put on.

These beds are on sale through March 1st. West coast delivery takes about a week from order placement (based on my order and my friends order).

Darren
Reply #8 Feb 26, 2009 2:02 AM
I also found the Costco pages that have customer reviews for this mattress.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11307421&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=67410&hierPath=67410*&lang=en-US#reviews

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11307551&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US#reviews

This message was modified Mar 1, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #9 Mar 10, 2009 3:35 AM
Just an update... 

The sale on these was extended until March 31,2009.

My FBM 3" soft Latex topper arrived today. So far it feels much softer and adds some "spring" to the bed that was missing before.

We are reaching the limit on our sheets! We're at 18" with everything (foam + latex + cuddle bed) on the bed.
Reply #10 Mar 18, 2009 12:22 PM
I too am strongly considering the King size Sleep Science ARA mattress from Costco. I currently have a 10-year old spring mattress that I am looking to replace.

My key question is...do I really need to buy the matching $300 foundation set? Can I just use my current box-spring? If no, can I just throw a sheet of plywood between the foam mattress and the existing box-spring? My current box spring is two twin-sized boxes (same as what it would be for the matched foundation from Costco.

Thanks!
Reply #11 Mar 19, 2009 12:25 AM
I believe that you would be ok with the plywood if the current boxspring is in GOOD physical shape. I would go with thick hardwood sheets to avoid the warping found in the cheaper plywood.

Keep in mind that the king size is HEAVY. The king shipping box lists the weight at 162 pounds! Add users and plywood and you're looking at 500+ pounds the boxspring needs to support.

Yes, we upgraded from a queen to a king size!

If your current foundation doesn't work you can always pick up a boxspring locally for around the same $200 Costco charges. I found the included foundation to be flimsy.

Recent Posts