Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco
Feb 7, 2009 1:41 AM
I couldn't find much information online about this mattress, but since it was from Costco I decided to give it a shot. I figured I'd give a little review of it so far since no one seems to have purchased one so far.

The mattress is currently on sale for $1099 (queen size, normal price $1399) including foundation.

These are the specs from Costco:
  • 13” pillow top mattress fits the dimensions of your bed
  • Limited Warranty: 20 years
  • Cover is bamboo fabric consisting of three layers.  This fabric is 300g/m2, the percentage of bamboo is 40%, nylon is 40%, polyester is 20%.
  • Cover top layer: 100% bamboo fabric
  • Middle layer: 100% nylon
  • Bottom layer: 100% polyester. 
  • Micro-suede cover sides are 100% polyester
  • Mattress core top layer: 3 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Second layer: 3-5/8 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Third layer: ½ inch air barrier
  • Fourth Layer: The Wedge Patented Edge Support System
  • Base layer: 6” Air Channel Base, dual density, dual IFD, relief cut urethane core
  • Queen mattress dimensions:
    60” W x 80” D x 13” H
    Weight: 196 lbs.

This is my first all foam mattress (previous was a "S" spring bed with a 3" foam topper) and so far (three nights) it has been fantastic. I'm a big guy (280lbs 5' 9") and really haven't had any problems sinking into all that foam (side and stomach sleeper), although it is a little harder getting in and out of the bed!

The mattress seems high quality and feels similar to the Temper-Pedic I tried. So far it doesn't sleep too hot for me.

Avoid the matching foundation. It comes fully assembled and is made of steel with plastic panels for support. While it works, I'm concerned about the cheap plastic support panels. For the price (about $200 extra for the matching set) I feel you can do better buying a foundation locally.

Delivery consisted of two large boxes, one for the mattress and one with the pre-assembled foundation. The manufacture date on my mattress was November 2008.

Assembly was easy, although the mattress alone weighs in at 132 pounds! After removing the plastic it only took about 30 minutes for it to fully decompress. Thankfully, the mattress is sealed in the zipper cover at the factory before packing! I thought I was going to have to install the cover myself! They make a big deal about the cover being made of "bamboo" fabric but it seemed just like a nice and soft cloth cover to me. You need to make sure that the cover doesn't get soiled or the bed warranty is voided!

Darren
This message was modified Feb 7, 2009 by dkcs
Re: Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco
Reply #1 Feb 7, 2009 2:29 PM
Costco link.

Reply #2 Feb 8, 2009 2:43 PM
The description sounds like a lot of high quality foam material for the price.

I didn't see any Customer Ratings at the Costo site.

We're always looking for a cost effective alternative to our prized and very comfy waterbed so I guess our main curiosity is how well the materials remain in a like new status after a couple of months and then between six months and a year.

Best of Luck - hope the mattress retains its' comfort and structure.

Reply #3 Feb 8, 2009 11:29 PM
I plan on keeping this post updated as time goes on, with my weight the foam will be getting a good workout!

This foam bed is great so far but I still want to try a latex mattress sometime.

I do have a couple of the latex "ultimate" pillows that Costco sells on the way to try those out.

I used to love my old water bed from years ago, unfortunately they fell out of favor and now it's difficult to get a complete set up. Around here (Los Angeles) I remember when we used to have several locations that sold nothing but water beds, now there aren't any to be found! Although, I did find that Sams Club still has a few water beds available online (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=6932). Of course these have gone way up in price like everything else!

Darren

This message was modified Feb 8, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #4 Feb 8, 2009 11:34 PM
Thanks for the pic Sager!
Reply #5 Feb 12, 2009 5:57 PM
I'm also looking at this same mattress from Costco.  I'm amazed & disappointed how little information or reviews are available on-line.  I'd like to hear more feedback from DKCS and others.

Also, I called the 800 number to speak with somebody.  They told me the Sleep Science Ara is actually a "name brand" mattress under a "private label".  But they couldn't tell me the brand.  Anybody have any thoughts on this ?

Reply #6 Feb 13, 2009 1:04 AM
This is the website for the manufacture: http://www.sbsleepscience.com/

The mattress is imported from China...  You really can't go wrong trying this mattress out if you purchase from Costco!

So far it is firmer than we thought it would be but still very comfortable!

The ultimate latex pillows arrived and are somewhat disappointing for the price ($80 each King size). The wool lining is just a thin cover over a soft Talalay latex pillow.

Darren
This message was modified Feb 13, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #7 Feb 26, 2009 1:50 AM
Just a little update...

The mattress is still working out well for us. It is a little firmer than we expected! I'm thinking about placing a 2" soft latex topper on it to give it a little "springy" feel and maybe soften it up some. Still doesn't sleep hot which may be attributed to the mattress protector we put on.

These beds are on sale through March 1st. West coast delivery takes about a week from order placement (based on my order and my friends order).

Darren
Reply #8 Feb 26, 2009 2:02 AM
I also found the Costco pages that have customer reviews for this mattress.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11307421&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=67410&hierPath=67410*&lang=en-US#reviews

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11307551&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US#reviews

This message was modified Mar 1, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #9 Mar 10, 2009 3:35 AM
Just an update... 

The sale on these was extended until March 31,2009.

My FBM 3" soft Latex topper arrived today. So far it feels much softer and adds some "spring" to the bed that was missing before.

We are reaching the limit on our sheets! We're at 18" with everything (foam + latex + cuddle bed) on the bed.
Reply #10 Mar 18, 2009 12:22 PM
I too am strongly considering the King size Sleep Science ARA mattress from Costco. I currently have a 10-year old spring mattress that I am looking to replace.

My key question is...do I really need to buy the matching $300 foundation set? Can I just use my current box-spring? If no, can I just throw a sheet of plywood between the foam mattress and the existing box-spring? My current box spring is two twin-sized boxes (same as what it would be for the matched foundation from Costco.

Thanks!
Reply #11 Mar 19, 2009 12:25 AM
I believe that you would be ok with the plywood if the current boxspring is in GOOD physical shape. I would go with thick hardwood sheets to avoid the warping found in the cheaper plywood.

Keep in mind that the king size is HEAVY. The king shipping box lists the weight at 162 pounds! Add users and plywood and you're looking at 500+ pounds the boxspring needs to support.

Yes, we upgraded from a queen to a king size!

If your current foundation doesn't work you can always pick up a boxspring locally for around the same $200 Costco charges. I found the included foundation to be flimsy.
Reply #12 Mar 19, 2009 9:54 AM
dkcs wrote:
I believe that you would be ok with the plywood if the current boxspring is in GOOD physical shape. I would go with thick hardwood sheets to avoid the warping found in the cheaper plywood.<BR><BR>Keep in mind that the king size is HEAVY. The king shipping box lists the weight at 162 pounds! Add users and plywood and you're looking at 500+ pounds the boxspring needs to support.<BR><BR>Yes, we upgraded from a queen to a king size!<BR><BR>If your current foundation doesn't work you can always pick up a boxspring locally for around the same $200 Costco charges. I found the included foundation to be flimsy.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, from what I read, technically, you can lay the mattress right on the floor to get the intended support. As you said, worst case, I can probably get a foundation locally for close to the same price if needed.

Tempted to order right now...just need wife approval (or maybe not). :)
Reply #13 Mar 22, 2009 10:33 PM
Well, I did wind up ordering the king mattress (no foundation) last Thursday. I hope it doesn't take too long to ship (I live in Chicago).
Reply #14 Mar 31, 2009 8:23 AM
Well, mine is in transit and appears to be now only one state away...hopefully it will be delivered in the next couple days.

On the waybil, mine says it's 215 pounds! I only ordered the mattress too. Do they really have 50 pounds of packaging? Or maybe it's including a pallet in that weight?
Reply #15 Mar 31, 2009 4:41 PM
I believe that is the weight the shipping company charges since the box is huge (it would easily cover two pallets). I seem to remember that the actual weight on the outside of the box was around 162 pounds for the King size.

Be careful with opening the box and inner roll. It's very easy to cut the mattress inside when taking it out of the plastic. I suggest getting the sealed mattress oriented correctly on top of your foundation before cutting the inner roll since it is a bear to move around once it expands. Also, they seem to roll these mattresses inside out so make sure you have the top side (the side with "sleep science" imprinted) facing up as it expands! You can use it within an hour of opening but give it at least 24 hours to fully expand.

Darren

Reply #16 Mar 31, 2009 11:18 PM
The Costco "White Glove" delivery says that they will set it up and haul away any packaging. My interpretation is that they can carry it up a flight of stairs and place it onto my foundation. Hopefully that is the case since it's so heavy!
Reply #17 Apr 2, 2009 12:57 AM
I believe you are correct! The delivery guys had it easy with me since I just had them drop the box in my living room..  Just make sure they are careful when they cut the inner plastic wrapper open since the king size is out of stock!

Darren
Reply #18 Apr 4, 2009 12:37 PM
Well, I finally got my mattress yesterday. Aside from the delivery guys giving a 3-hour window and coming an hour and fifteen minutes past that, they set it up just fine. I slept pretty well last night. Takes some getting used to rolling, turning, and getting out of the bed since I sink into it. But within seconds, the mattres "re-conforms" to by body position. It's hard to describe...it's very soft and smushy, but then firm at the same time. We only put the thin bedsheet over it without any lining or padding. Is how we have it the best/recommended way to go? Or should I still put a pad over it? Looking forward to another good night of sleep though!
Reply #19 Apr 8, 2009 5:59 PM
I recently purchased one of these mattresses as well from Costco, it's being delivered this Saturday. I also have questions about getting additional protection for the mattress. From what I've read on this forum, I'm looking to get some kind of mattress cover from Shopsatin.com (Shopbedding.com, whatever you want to call it). I don't know if it's better to get a fitted or zipper style? Cotton or Poly-Cotton?

I was thinking about a mattress pad from them, but don't know if that will take away from the comfort of the bed itself. Also, I was thinking about getting a 1" latex topper to throw on top of the mattress in order to hopefully prolong the life of the mattress and protect it even more. But, I don't know if it's even a good idea with a memory foam mattress.

I'm new into all this mattress stuff, hopefully some of you veterans can help!

I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply #20 Apr 16, 2009 8:28 PM
I purchased this mattress back in February and it was delivered March 3rd. On April 9th I called Costco and asked them to come and get it. For about the first week, I slept great. For a couple weeks after that, I slept okay. For the last couple of weeks, I have had horrible lower back pain due to the lack of support from this mattress. Sleeping towards the middle of the mattress makes it feel better, but where I slept for about a month is completely degraded. I think these guys use some kind of inferior memory foam. Luckily, it came from Costco and the return process is fairly hassle free. This thing is going to the garage until they pick it up because my Tempurpedic is being delivered tomorrow.
Reply #21 Jul 4, 2009 2:48 PM
After reading all the posts here & reviews at Costco, I decided to ignore Squiggy's post & give the queen a shot.  Bought it yesterday & will probably come in a couple of weeks.  I think the questions above about additional mattress cover(s) are good.  There is only some commentary running through the reviews, etc about the mattress feeling a little hot.  Although, they designed it especially for heat minimization.  Nevertheless, I'm hot sensitive & live in South Texas !  So I want to do everything to keep this as cool as possible.  1) I have not bought the foundation that Costco offered-- instead, went with bedinabox.com "collapsible" foundation.  This has slats spaced a few inches a part and a flat cover-- I'm thinking this will enhance air flow from below.  2) I know this bed has a "bamboo" cloth cover-- Question: Does this serve as a mattress pad/cover?  I'm thinking about the standard cotton mattress pad/cover you can get at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  Is an additional mattress cover (cotton) a good idea for a) encouraging coolness, b) otherwise protecting the mattress?  Thanks in advance:
Reply #22 Jul 4, 2009 6:20 PM
The bamboo cover is there to protect the foam layers (it's thin). I would still use some kind of mattress pad to further protect the mattress in case you need to return it at a later date.

Costco has an updated model of this mattress now that includes a Latex layer...
Reply #23 Jul 4, 2009 7:14 PM
<BR> bradco wrote:
I know this bed has a &amp;quot;bamboo&amp;quot; cloth cover-- Question: Does this serve as a mattress pad/cover?  I'm thinking about the standard cotton mattress pad/cover you can get at Bed, Bath &amp;amp; Beyond.  Is an additional mattress cover (cotton) a good idea for a) encouraging coolness, b) otherwise protecting the mattress?  Thanks in advance:<BR>
<BR>I'm going to vote &quot;no&quot; on using an additional mattress cover/pad. The reason so many companies use bamboo covers on their memory foam mattresses is that the fabric is lightweight and highly breathable, yet very strong, allowing sufficient body heat to penetrate the bamboo fibers and warm the memory foam. Memory foam will not conform to your body contours if it isn't exposed to enough body heat and the mattress will more than likely feel too firm. You're going to miss out on the very reason people purchase memory foam if you don't allow heat exchange between your skin and the foam. <BR><BR>Bamboo has excellent wicking properties and is naturally antibacterial, so it makes a wonderful fabric for bedding. It also feels like the softest, fluffiest cotton infused with silk...put an Egyptian cotton sheet over it and you'll be in heaven. :-) Better yet, bamboo sheets!<BR><BR>
This message was modified Jul 4, 2009 by Zzzzzzzspleaze
Reply #24 Jul 5, 2009 12:31 AM
Thank you for these replies.  By the way dkcs, you're a few months out on your purchase- can you give us a review now?  Thanks
Reply #25 Jul 7, 2009 3:35 AM
So far it's great. Keep in mind that we did add a 3" latex topper to give the mattress a more "springy" feel.

It appears that latex is incorporated into the new Celeste mattress from Sleep Science.

The Celeste 14” mattress by Sleep Science is the perfect blend of body contouring, pressure relieving visco memory foam and therapeutic latex.  This mattress has two inches of 5 lb Visco elastic memory foam as its top layer, which is supported by the next 2 inches of medium latex.  The top two inches of Visco memory foam, offer a plush touch.  The latex provides support with a slight bounce sensation. 

Often, Doctors and chiropractic professionals recommend a sleeping surface that is soft, yet has good support.  By layering our premium Visco memory foam over latex, we achieve just that; the perfect marriage of comfort and support.  The Celeste 14’” mattress delivers a soft, contouring, pressure reducing sleep surface that is supported by the Natural Latex core.  Latex is one of the most resilient, supportive and durable cushioning materials available.  Combine these superlative products with our patented ‘Wedge’ Technology and patent pending ‘Air Channel Base’, top it off with a cover made of a silk blend fabric; a decorative rope cord trim and plush micro-suede sides for a mattress that is as comfortable and therapeutic as it is beautiful.

• 14” Visco/latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed
  • Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633 - Federal flammability (open flame) standards
  • Cover: Silk and polyester blend fabric
  • Decorative rope cord trim and plush micro-suede sides
  • Mattress Core top layer: 2” 5-lb Visco foam, rated 11-13 IFD
  • Second Layer: 2” Latex support layer in medium density
  • Third Layer: 1” Air Comfort Layer
  • Base Layer: 9” Air Channel Base, dual density IFD, relief cut polyurethane core
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Limited Warranty:  20 Years
  • King w/ split foundation Dimensions:
    76”W x 80”L x 21”H (without legs)
    Weight:  265 lbs
Re: Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco- Question of a cover
Reply #26 Jul 25, 2009 11:36 AM
My queen just arrived today.  Very impressed with quality & comfort, just out of the package.  The question of a mattress cover has been touched on but not very closely in this thread.  I'm looking at the bamboo cover and, folks, this is slightly more than a sheet sewn into the sides.  I'm very surprised that this isn't removable and washable!  People sweat a quart a night.  The instructions say not to get the mattress moist.  Something seems odd about this design.  In my mind you go get a thin cotton mattress pad to at least keep moisture off the mattress.  If you lay on the mattress with just your sheets, how does the thin bamboo cover handle that?  It has to wick it to somewhere?  To me, over months, this bamboo cover will get discolored and funky just from handling body sweat.  Would really appreciate replies to this.  I really think I got to go get something today before the stores close. 
Re: Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco- Question of a cover
Reply #27 Jul 25, 2009 12:05 PM
Well- let me update my post:  the bed just arrived today & it appeared that the bamboo cover *is* sewn into the mattress.  After looking further, I see that it is zippered- in along the *bottom* edge of the mattress, at the foundation.  There are care instructions as follows:

1. Remove zippered cover from mattress or foundation  (my note: well, it's zippered around the mattress, not the foundation)
2. Hand wash or machine wash cover- fabric side only- on gentle cycle  (my note: I'm assuming that when you unzipper, you get 2 separate pieces)
*PVC side is NOT machine washable (my note: they must be referring to the piece under the mattress)
3. Dry on gentle air cycle
4. Do not submerge or soak the foam
5. Foam & PVC side may be spot cleaned with a wet cloth & mild soap or detergent
6. Foam should air dry for 24-48 hours before covering

Well these instructions partially answer my question.  The bamboo cover is washable (how often?), but again, people sweat during the night and I wonder how the bamboo cover deals with that ?  Not supposed to get the foam wet.  Of course South Bay is closed today (Saturday).  Still looking for replies on this- I'll check back throughout the day.  Thanks in advance
Sleep Science Foam Mattress vs. Tempurpedic
Reply #28 Feb 4, 2010 12:09 PM
I purchased a knock-off Tempurpedic mattress last year. Terrible mistake. Our thought was to save money by purchasing a lesser quality and we ended up with a slab of foam mush and nobody to talk to in terms of customer service. We own 3 Tempurpedic mattresses and are going for the 4th (5 years of experience). They are amazing.
Re: Sleep Science Foam Mattress vs. Tempurpedic
Reply #29 Feb 4, 2010 1:22 PM
galtier wrote:
I purchased a knock-off Tempurpedic mattress last year. Terrible mistake. Our thought was to save money by purchasing a lesser quality and we ended up with a slab of foam mush and nobody to talk to in terms of customer service. We own 3 Tempurpedic mattresses and are going for the 4th (5 years of experience). They are amazing.
I agree with your statement.  But I have to ask, 'Why so many Tempurpedics'?  I know people who have had them 14 years with zero problems.  I'm guessing your trying out the newer models?
Re: Sleep Science Foam Mattress vs. Tempurpedic
Reply #30 Feb 4, 2010 1:31 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:
I agree with your statement.  But I have to ask, 'Why so many Tempurpedics'?  I know people who have had them 14 years with zero problems.  I'm guessing your trying out the newer models?

knowing which knock off, name, etc, would be helpful here
Reply #31 Feb 10, 2010 12:24 PM
Hi, Costco is now selling a 10" Sleep Science Queen Memory Foam mattress. Does anyone have any information about this one? Thank you. Jan
Reply #32 Feb 10, 2010 6:27 PM
glowmore2 wrote:
Hi, Costco is now selling a 10" Sleep Science Queen Memory Foam mattress. Does anyone have any information about this one? Thank you. Jan

if it says sleep science emma in the description, i had that one, loved it, for the price....get it, you can always return it
Reply #33 Apr 6, 2011 1:47 PM
These beds are made by South Bay International and sold to resellers. Costco being one of them. I did not get it from Costco and now I am stuck. Here is my story:

I purchased the SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL'S (Sleep Science) Supreme 14.5" mattress through a reseller and had it freighted to my home. After a few months while re-arranging my bedroom I tore the cover. I was very disappointed. So, I started the process of finding and ordering one. I contacted SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL, who still makes the bed for resellers, and tried to order the replacement for my $2100 SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL mattress. At first I was told that the cover was not available. I became irritated and told them that I was going to what I am doing here, let everyone know that South Bay International does not support it's products or customers. I was told to hold one minute and was then forwarded to Diana. Diana at SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL promised me that the cover would be in within 8 weeks. So I wait the 8 weeks and call back and speak to Diana again.

This time Diana tells me that she ordered the cover but they did not come in..." they don't make them anymore". Don't make them any more?  I just bought the bed and if I go to the SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL website (search in browser) and I see you are STILL making the mattress. It is still being marketed by you but you are not going to help me?  She replied "what do you want me to do? they don't make it anymore!"  WOW...what a rude and uncaring corporation...a bad way to run a business. I pray you do not find yourself in the same predicament I am in at this point. So I felt it necessary to let everyone know how they do business. They no longer will replace the cover for the supreme...who knows when the Ara is next?

Recent Posts